1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

some thing missing from the news series of the west wing.

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by GalacticaActual, Dec 6, 2004.

1. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    I became a fan of the west wing by accident. I caught it late one night on channel four, and although i was not quite sure what it was about, I was intreeged. I have since bought all the sesaons avalible on dvd and have been watching season five on E4.
    There seems to be something missing from this season. I know Aron sorkin no longer writes for the show, and of course there is no more rob lowe in it either, but I also think the generall quality has now slipped away from the show. I used to think it was unmisable quality drama, now, if i miss an episode, I am not that bothered anymore. I still watch it, but I am just not as into it as i once was.
    Does any one else feel this way? I am just expecting to much from a long running show?

2. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    So i am the only one here who watches the west wing then? :laugh:

3. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,619
    I know its only TV but....
    I think you have to put the series into context with the others .Its been a great few years for TWW (spoilermode just in case).What with the MS storyline , followed by the election .There was Zoes kidnap , the assasination of that bloke from Kumar (?) and the aftermath of that.
    I think its still a great show and have to see it every week
    This series could be about to hot up judging by last weeks ep

I happened upon it just like you .It was an episode ( C4 graveyard slot.why do they do that :confused: )where some medication ,for a back problem , was having an adverse effect on the pres .Had me in stiches did Jed (as he often does I might add).

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I love West Wing, currently on season 6, gave up on E4's coverage a long time ago:)
    Perhaps there was some trimming of the budget, writer/production changes during the time WW was being hammered in it's timeslot by the reality TV boom, I do recall reading that it's future may have bene in doubt at that point.

It's common for a show in "trouble" to cut costs across the board which can impact on the feel or totally ruin in a show in some cases.
    Then again it could be simply a case of having such a high standard that it's almost impossible to keep the quality (writing and production) up to what is expected.
    How about the writers who just like their political counterparts simply run out of ideas to woo the voters (sorry, viewers) and resort to weak and short sighted policies (sorry again, stories) in an affort to keep their job.

I don't think political satire is my thing:)

5. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    It is still, for me, the best show on TV. A phenomenal cast, strong scripts, witty and entertaining dialogue and extremely interesting subject matter.

I don't miss Rob Lowe at all. I thought it'd be tough for them losing a central character like that, but it hasn't spoilt my enjoyment at all.

I agree that this series lacks the "blockbuster" plot line that the previous series had. Having said that there is a big cliffhanger coming tonight. So watch out!

For those who do enjoy "The West Wing", you might also want to track down "Sportsnight" which was the series that Aaron Sorkin wrote prior to The West Wing. Having a vague interest/knowledge in US Sports helps a little, but the dialogue and cast are excellent and you can really see Sorkin's writing style when you compare it to "The West Wing".

Plus there are more than a few people in "Sportsnight" who either make regular or occasional appearances in "The West Wing". It's a great series and well worth catching on DVD. As far as I know, it's never been shown over here. Anyone else caught it?

6. NoEntry2k

NoEntry2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Sports Night is great. It can be seen over here on abc1 - exclusive to freeview (ch. 15) at the moment.

7. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I'm a Sky subscriber so haven't got ABC1. Would urge anyone with Freeview to check it out. Dates and times, mate?

I'm going to have to dust off my DVDs of it and watch it again. Forgot it was in there!

8. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I love TWW and have watched all the shows, like most people it seems, catching it by accident and then back tracking to catch up! It is different this series, but then Sorkin has moved on so with different writers its bound to change. I still think its kept the core element though and I still enjoy it. Only dodgy episode was the one where CJ was followed by the cameras. It was certainly different but it didn't appeal to me.

9. yahkjr

yahkjr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know whats missing from the "new" season of TWW on C4...

ADVERTS.

Anyone else spotted that the only adverts shown are for C4 programs, there are none for "commercial products", other than Renault who "sponser the show".

10. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,619
    If you catch the late night repeat , there are no ads at all .Just 40 straight minutes of TWW

11. NoEntry2k

NoEntry2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Weekends at 5:10pm on abc1, double bills on Saturdays.

I have Sky and Freeview so thats how i watch it, should be coming to Sky in the spring.