some thieving [email protected][email protected] broke in to my car car last night...delock the doors?

Hi,

Well yesterday I had spent 4 hours washing,polishing and waxing my car in the nice weather. At 2am this morning my alarm went off. I went downstairs to my car and had a quick look around for any smashed windows etc but couldn't see anything or anyone so de-activated the alarm and went back to bad. I had a quick look round my car again in the day light but it looked ok. Then this afternoon something didn't look right on the passenger door so I had a look and theres a hole around the size of a 5p gone straight through the door and the locks all smashed up to. I'm really p'ed off now and think the alarm must of scared them off. My cars fully insured but being only 22 with a group 17 car my excess is £500 and my insurance is still £1400 a year so I don't want to make a claim for something that won't probably cost £500 to repair. I'm now thinking of getting both doors de-locked as I have thought about doing this before but now seems the best time to have it done! :(

Z

zelnik

I know with Golfs you can delock it and it works fine, only problem is you have to get in via the boot if the RCL isn't working.

You can also weld metal into the inside of the door around the area they used to puncture the hole.

That's what I did when they did the same to my BMW a few years ago :(

alexs2

Distinguished Member
The trouble is,you can delock a car,fit as many alarms as you like etc etc,but if your average thief has the time,and wants in sufficiently,he will get in,even if he has to take a brick or a lump hammer to the windows.

All you can really do is to deter,or slow them sufficiently.

Having lived with 2 cars with group 20+ insurance,and the requirements for immobilisers and tracking systems on those,I do sympathise.

thanks I know what your saying and I know if they want to break in they will no matter what it takes. I'm lucky they didn't scratch the rest of the car when the alarm went off. Its at my girlfriends parents at the moment out the way until I get it repaired.

The de-lock may stop them slightly and should also look better once removed :rolleyes: I think I might invest in a small cctv camera that hooks up to the PC.....so much for living in a nice area :suicide:

alexs2

Distinguished Member
The de-lock may stop them slightly and should also look better once removed :rolleyes: I think I might invest in a small cctv camera that hooks up to the PC.....so much for living in a nice area :suicide:

Unfortunately it doesnt matter where you live to an extent,and some would say that it makes it more attractive to our light-fingered brethren.

I've personally almost given up worrying,and leave it to the insurance company to sort out,especially since they still require me to have a GPS based tracker etc on my current car,and I know what the police response to theft/break-ins is like.

shahedz

Distinguished Member
Unfortunately it doesnt matter where you live to an extent,and some would say that it makes it more attractive to our light-fingered brethren.

I've personally almost given up worrying,and leave it to the insurance company to sort out,especially since they still require me to have a GPS based tracker etc on my current car,and I know what the police response to theft/break-ins is like.

group 20+:eek: out of curiosity what car did you won Alexs2?

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
that sucks matey, makes you wonder if its worth owning anything nice these days...... Also as well you know even if they get caught the police seem powerless to do anything....

the middle eastern countries have the right idea on some of the punishments, but i digress.

hope it gets sorted and doesnt cost too much :(

yup thats seems the way anything nice and it gets trashed. Theres not any other little hot hatches down the road mainly bigger family cars so they probably wanted it for that. Not sure if they wanted the car or the head unit :confused:

I'm going to look at installing a cctv camera outside and a little buzzer that dngs when someone walks up the drive way. I know this won't stop anyone doing anything again but it should help a little.

I'm getting some quotes tomorrow so will see how it goes but hopefully won't be stupidly expensive :rolleyes:

Z

zelnik

I'm going to look at installing a cctv camera outside and a little buzzer that dngs when someone walks up the drive way. I know this won't stop anyone doing anything again but it should help a little.

You might want to double check with the local police as my old BMW 3 series was broken into 5 times in 1 year and nothing stolen (i don't leave anything inside)

The last time when I reported it I told the local police that I was going to install CCTV pointed towards my vehicle and they told me that if I went ahead and installed it without applying for official permission, not only would any evidence collected be ignored by the police/courts that I may end up being sued myself!

Luckly the chap who installed my last door window (x4 door windows and a replacement door when they drilled into it) was an ex car thief and just told me to keep everything open inside on view.

Ie keep the glove box open, ash trays, nothing on seats etc etc as this shows the little runts that you know their game and anything in the car has been removed! Touch wood nothing since! even when my neighbours cars are being broken into regularly!

I'm still going to get one installed so if anything happens again I can see who it was as the police seem pretty useless in matters like this.

I have rang around today and the best quote I have had is £400 + VAT to de-lock the doors and repair the passenger door where they tried to get in and have both doors resprayed. I think its a little steep though and even though the sprayer is supposed to be excellent still not over the moon at the thought of the re-spray :(

flat spot

Unfortunately it's an age old trick. The thief boots the car to see if it's alarmed. The alarm goes off and you investigate. As it happens you turned off the alarm then. If you hadn't he would have been back to set it off again and again. Eventually you think the alarm is faulty and you turn it off. They then break in at their leisure.
Never turn the alarm off. Although hindsight is a wonderful thing.

maybe I didn't make it clear. the alarm was originally set off by the vandals/thieves. I went down to investigate and couldn't see anything so just stopped the alarm making any noise by unlocking and re-locking the car. This then set the alarm again but they never came back to finish the job off.

Few security measures are going in place before my car goes back on the driveway :devil:

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom