Some tax help please?!

dts_boy

Prominent Member
Reaction score
for anyone out there who can help me: here is my questions.
i am an employee of a company and although i don't have a company car i am told i can claim the difference up to 40p/mile from the tax man. i have downloaded the form to do this but does this need to be linked to a tax return (don't know why but every year i have to do a tax return, thats another question for another day!) or do you just send it off and get a cheque back?
Does anyone else here do this and is it only at the end of the tax year (i assume it would be). If any accountant types or people in the know would like to let me know how bext to do it that would be mch appreciated :thumbsup:

I claim my travel expences through the company, they sort it all out for me, as it's only when travelling to site during work hours / work that isn't coming to and from the office.
Have you spoke to your employer about this?

I claim my travel expences through the company, they sort it all out for me, as it's only when travelling to site during work hours / work that isn't coming to and from the office.

My employer pays my mileage up to 25p/mile but anything beyond that is my responsiblity. they don't know what i need to do but say it is possible and after a bit of research the hmrc website confirms this. the problem is it doesn't say how!

May we ask who you work for (PM if neccesary). 25p a mile is crap tbh

if you have your own car (not company) that you use for work, you can claim the different back

ie: as your company is paying 25p per mile for ANY mileage you do for them, then you can claim the different 10p per mile (government is 40p iirc). Iirc, you get back all the difference back minus 22% tax.

Company Mileage (from my expereience) is:

a) your home to ANOTHER branch off your company
b) from YOUR branch to ANOTHER branch in the company
c) from ANOTHER Branch back to your Own Office
d) from ANOTHER Branch back to home
e) any day to day mileage whilst AT work.

You can't claim travel if going from home to your own office, or leaving the office to go home.

If travelling between home and non-base office then the rule is

You can claim the lesser of

a) Home to Non-Base Office
b) Base Office to Non-Base Office

As for 25p a mile - it is bad but it may be because he has chosen to take a company car allowance rather than a company car. If you do that where I work then you can only claim between 10p and 17p depending on fuel type and engine size.

Cheers,

Nigel

My employer pays my mileage up to 25p/mile but anything beyond that is my responsiblity. they don't know what i need to do but say it is possible and after a bit of research the hmrc website confirms this. the problem is it doesn't say how!

Most companies pay between 20 and 40p per mile, they are not obliged to pay 40p per mile and very few do.
25p is quite a common rate.

I'm sure that you don't have to claim the 40p rate from your employer. If you get reimbursed 25p per mile you can get the rest as an allowance against your tax bill.

It's a while since I've done it but IIRC, there's somewhere on the annual return supplemental pages to reclaim the difference. Failing that you just send in the claim form you've downloaded at the end of the tax year.

If your sole income is from PAYE employment then have a word with your local tax office & ask why they require a return.

You can do that just through your Self Assesment forms, other forms are only useful when you want the money sooner than that...But will be taken into account come SA time....No employer is obliged to pay the full tax allowable amount, and can even pay more with tax implications.....

If travelling between home and non-base office then the rule is

You can claim the lesser of

a) Home to Non-Base Office
b) Base Office to Non-Base Office

As for 25p a mile - it is bad but it may be because he has chosen to take a company car allowance rather than a company car. If you do that where I work then you can only claim between 10p and 17p depending on fuel type and engine size.

Cheers,

Nigel

I think that rule was dropped some time ago. You can claim any business related mileage except travel directly between your home and base office.

I think the way to claim it is to put in one box on your self assesment for that you have incurred ££ expenses (x miles x 40p) and another box that you have been reimbursed £ (x miles x 25p).

You may have to add any other expenses you have incurred and been reimbursed to both figures.

thanks for all the help people. i would rather not name my employer - i am told 25p is about average (and has been for a previous job as well) and the claim is just for me using my car on business travel (i.e NOT between home & work). after a bit of research and a chat with my local tax office i have found that i need to fill in a p87 and send it to my employer's tax office who should issue me my tax relief!
who knew getting money back was so difficult, there is not this much of a baririer when it comes to paying them :mad:

well, i don't but you know what i mean :D
i've worked out that i can claim back approx £900, thats not too shabby! (that might even cover a pint for all those who posted to help!)

well, i don't but you know what i mean :D
i've worked out that i can claim back approx £900, thats not too shabby! (that might even cover a pint for all those who posted to help!)
Again, IIRC, you won't actually see £900. That amount is added to your allowance so you'll only see £180 (or £360 if you're a higher rate payer). :thumbsdow

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom