1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some Stupid Questions...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by chunderwunder, Jan 12, 2005.

1. chunderwunder

chunderwunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking to get an AV receiver/Amp. Am new to all this and have got myself all confused.

1. What is RGB? What do the actual connections look like? I'm fairly sure it's not the yellow, red and white connections I've got on the front of my TV.

2. My wife will kill me if I get something that requires having to change the AV receiver setting each time she uses a different source (sky, vcr, cd, dvd etc). Is there anything that will automatically 'switch' to the relevant settings depending upon which source it is getting data from?

3. My Tv has got 2 scart inputs at the back, and s-video as well as the yellow, red and white conenctions at the front. Is it going to be possible to have a VCR, DVD player (also used as CD player) and Sky all going through the receiver and into the TV?

Thanks. :)

2. boab_is

boab_is

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    some help hopefully

1. RGB is the best type of picture you can get through a scart socket. generally AV1 (first scart socket) will accept RGB. You should connect your DVD to this.

2. There are no amps that will auto switch between inputs, but if you buy a learning remote (£50+) you can normally set a series of commands (macros) that will change the Input on the amp when you flip inputs on the TV.

3. The simplest way to connect you items is like so:

Scart from DVD to AV1 on TV

Scart from VCR to Second scart on Sky Box

Scart from Sky Box to AV2 on TV

This means that you can watch SKY as normal, but when you power up the DVD player it will change input on the TV.

When you want to watch the VCR, just put in a video and press play, and the VCR will override the SKY BOX.

With your aerial cable, run it to the vcr then the TV, it doesnt need to loop through the Sky Box.

Feel free to ask any questions about this. :thumbsup:

3. chunderwunder

chunderwunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.

Does this mean though that I won't be able to record from sky to the VCR (eventually to be replaced by a DVD recorder)

Probably another stupid question, but I'm not sure were the amp comes into things with your suggested setup. Doesn't it need to be used to drive the speakers for 5.1 or CD audio via the DVD player? If so, how would I drive audio to the amp?

4. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    A reciever will have a Video IN and OUT, this means you can record from a selected source thats pluged into the Reciever.

You send audio to the amp either through a digital connection, i.e. Optical or coaxial.
    Analouge, for stero a phono pair (i.e. red and black/white pair), or 3x phono pair for 5.1 (or more, i.e. a single phono connection for every 'channel' of sound)

These come from your source, i.e. your dvd player (digital)
    Sky, usualy has a phono pair on the back and sky + has an optical connection.
    VCR, phono pair on back
    anything else will usualy have one of above.

5. chunderwunder

chunderwunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks. Any pointers to an AV receiver/amp that is good for 50% movie/music use? £350 or less. Will be using a Pio575 DVD player as source for DVD/CD/SACD/DVD-A.

6. Diving Bear

Diving Bear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yamaha DSP-AX750SE

7. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
  8. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hi chunderwunder,

Just a suggestion but take a look at this:-
    http://www.digitaldirectuk.com/products_moreinfo3/index.asp?product_id=5874
    A mate of mine has got a lower spec one and it offers good performance, and as a bonus you can route 3x RGB scart connectors into it, and it will automatically switch the audio AND video thru to the TV without having to change AV inputs via the TV remote so it wont confuse the missus. (always a bonus in my book).
    Also, just looking at the spec's on pioneers site :-
    http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=9188&taxonomy_id=62-98
    and it also has the auto set-up using a mic so it'll be easy to set up as well.

Let me know what you think?

All the best

TTFN