1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

some set up questions??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Mannannan, Jul 13, 2003.

1. Mannannan

Mannannan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anybody help me out with a few questions I have about my set up?

First things first: Sony str-de585 receiver and jbl scs10 speakers (50W and 4-6 ohm)

1. Setting up per sony manual, the centre speaker is far too loud compared to all the other speakers (even playing CDs it seems the the pro-logic II is sending more infromation there than to the front stereos, and almost nothing to the rears).

2. Rears are really low, barely audible.

It seems to be a problem of information as much as volume (I thought that setting up the correct speaker distances in the amp would be enough)

with these two problems together, I may as well be watching movies using the tv speaker. But there is also...

3. sony manual recommends setting all speakers to large and the jbl manual recommends setting all to small? I don't know which to do

4. I have subwoofer connected via LFE in and sub out as recommended by jbl manual for DD5.1 but the speaker manual advises against using this input to listen to CDs, recommending line level or such, does anybody know why?
    Of course I want to listen to CDs as well watch movies, surely I don't have to keep changing the way the sub is connected

1 and 2 are big worries, (worried about the amp)
    3 and 4 well some help would be nice.

Thanks for any help

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    There should be a facility within your config menues to alter speaker levels. You normally have a test signal that moves around each speaker that allows you to adjust the level up or down according to a spl meter(sound pressure level) or by ear to make each speaker the same volume. Most ppl set their speakers to small and send the lfe to the subwoofer (crossover around 80HZ) but experiment and adjust the settings to whatever you prefer (i set all speakers to large and have the bass set to lfe + mains with the crossover at 80Hz- but thats my preference). Line level should suffice while listening to music.

I'd be glad to answer anymore questions but I'm not familiar with your amps specifics.

3. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Well I find DPL II rather dissapointing too!

I watch movies from TV/Sky in normal stereo. Gives a wider 'stage' . DPL II seems to overpower the centre as you suggest.
    If the movie is for you, get it on a disc..I think you will be much happier with proper DD 5.1/DTS

For me, music is better in stereo (with sub). The only music I have that works as 'proper' 5.1, are some DVD-A discs

4. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    DPLII on my AVR3802 is gr8. I don't know how i've done without it before now. Maybe it's down to sony's processing?

5. Mannannan

Mannannan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick responses guys :hiya:

answers often lead to more questions though don't they:suicide:

hawklord:
    I used the test signal for speaker placement (by ear) rather than to change the level as on the tone they sound all about equal, the problems arise with DVDs 5.1 and especially when listening to CDs with prologic II on and the amp set to "normal surround" which I believe is supposed to be stereo split between the 3 front and a mono signal (minus the vocal track) to both rears.
    There are other preset configs using surround (jazz, hall, concert, etc, they have similar problems providing surround effect).
    Then there is 2 channel option for movies and for music, the amp is supposed use prologic II to decode these into 5.1 when on 2 channel but it won't do it(????) so I am using the surround modes for listening to 2 channel sources. I have the crossover to max, there is no scale on the dial.

I have 3 questions for you

Can you tell me what you mean by "+mains"? (powered?)

Do you think I can safely set my speakers to large as they are max 50W and the amp can output 100W to each (The centre seems to be doing so much work already and I don't want to damage it)?

Is there any harm in using LFE when listening to music as the jbl manual suggests, or can I hook up my amp line level simultaneously and leave it like that allowing the amp to choose (doesn't sound right)

Johndm: sorry for leaving out that info :blush: I only use the set up for DVDs, CDs, and (v occasionally )PS2. So I actually do have the problem with the DD5.1 from DVDs-sony's blue light comes up so the amp is getting what it should but not doing much with it.
    maybe you're right about music in stereo, but it would be nice to get the more immersed feeling that using all the speakers should give, btw are these DVD-A discs music videos or concerts or this SACD thing?

Cheers
    (these boards are great:D )

6. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    LFE + Mains means that the lower frequencies will be sent to both the subwoofer (via lower level connection) and your front left and right channels. You should be ok to use your speakers as large lfe+mains as long as you don't drive the speakers too high.
    But I recomend you use small and lfe only (not mains).
    If you hook up the lower line level to your sub the subwoofer should function with any pcm stereo signal if set up correctly.You can use high level connections but imo I wouldn't use simultaneously.
    On my denon I have various DPLII variations for different types of souce ie movies and music. I only listen to music in two channel stereo and do not make use off any off the processing my av amp offers as I have an integrated amp within my set up purely for music duties.
    You might get a better sound if you just use stereo in direct mode but it's worth experimenting to find the best sound for your ear.

7. Mannannan

Mannannan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again,

That's how I had it and probably how I will leave it so.

I'll try to find the menu for adjusting the levels of the surround speakers during the week and hopefully sort out this surround problem.

If anybody is familiar with the Sony str-de585 can they let me know if setting Music II and Movies II to "on" in set-up is supposed to allow for DPLII decoding when using 2CH mode?