• Apologies for the inconvenience, but AVForums will be down from 6am Thursday 21st January 2021 for quite some time while we perform a major update to our core software. See what changes are coming.

Some SE p990 questions before I upgrade

woody67

Novice Member
By all accounts the SE p990 seems to have more bad points than good, and yet like a moth to a flame ..... :rolleyes:

So if I upgrade, and its crap, could I use the sim in another 2g phone ie my p910?

Would Orange let me swap back to a 2g tarriff with their 14 day trial period - or is that just for new customers.

Has anyone actually got a p990 and is happy with it?

I noticed a thread on esato.com which asks how long the phone runs before needing to be rebooted - and its averaging at about 2 days:eek: And one day battery life - double :eek:

apolloa

Distinguished Member
I have a P990I on Orange and am very happy with it. Yes it could be a bit faster but it hasn't crashed once or rebooted. If you upgrade to the phone through a UK network you have a right to call them within 7 day's if you don't like the handset and cancel the contract or change the phone.
Seems to be the best way to go. Ask away if you have any questions re the phone.

apolloa

Distinguished Member
If you turn off 3G, bluetooth and don't use wireless too much then I would say 3 to 4 day's use. I have done all that, overnight the phone drops about 2 or 3 percent, it's only when you use it that it really drops. If your a heavy user with all the bells and whistles turned on then I would say a day easily, maybe 2.
I don't use it heavily so can't judge fairly on it though like I said a day should easily be within reach.

GeoffWork

Novice Member
Thanks for the posting, Woody. I have been waiting for this to become available on Orange which it now has done (although they didn't tell me even though I have registered interest several times). I too am concerned about juming in, consolation is that if it is a turkey I can sell it on eBay when I buy an Apple iPhone in Q1 2007!

Tony B

I have had my P990 for a week now. The main reason for getting it (apart from the flame/moth attraction thing) was that it seemed to be the only way I could get back onto the fairly good tariff that I had for the previous 12 months.

Coming from a P910 I find the 990 significantly less intuitive - annoyingly so sometimes. I have to admit that I am warming to it, though, as it does look and feel very nice, and it does have some useful extra functionality (e.g. attaching a note to a record in the call list, or attaching a reminder to a missed call).

There are some really poor elements to the UI, with the "OK" or "Do" soft buttons sometimes not visible anywhere on the screen (meaning that the only way to "do" is to use the jog dial as the enter button). Really annoyed that they have done away with the 5-way jog dial (now only 3-way).

Some functionality is difficult to find, often , as the context specific menus can appear in many different places (activated by a hardware button sometimes, or drop down lists from soft buttons at other times).

I do like the WiFi though, and synching with a laptop is so much better/more reliable than before (although fairly slow). STILL frequently getting duplicate contact entries, though - when will SE sort this problem out??? I have some contacts appearing 5 times now.

In my opinion it is a very attractive device, seriously compromised by a very badly implemented UI.

I am keeping it though. I might one day find someone to have a video call with. Maybe....

apolloa

Distinguished Member
I am keeping it though. I might one day find someone to have a video call with. Maybe....
That's what I'm thinking, makes me sound like Billy no mates, I don't know anyone else with a videophone!!!
I love mine, it works fine for what I want. Do you have the latest firmware on yours?

Tony B

That's what I'm thinking, makes me sound like Billy no mates, I don't know anyone else with a videophone!!!
I love mine, it works fine for what I want. Do you have the latest firmware on yours?
As I cannot get the SE Update Service to work (never could with the 910 either) I don't know whether I have the latest firmware available or not - perhaps you could compare your versions with these and let me know:

phone = CXC162037 R7A001
BT = CXC162058 R4F01
Organiser = CXC162036 R3B01
CDA = CDA162008/6R3A03

I have posted a question on the Update Service, on SE's support website. Only about a week ago, so clearly my expectation on customer service does not match their's, as I have had no response yet...

TIA
Tony B

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom