1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some screens from LOTR from my BenQ 7700

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by spikerules, Aug 13, 2005.

1. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guy's!

I thought I might as well show off my new PJ with some screen caps, but I didn't take into consideration that I lent my still camera to someone a while back and haven't got it back yet:)

To cut a long story short I decided to use my XL-1 camcorder and thus made the following pics for you all.

[​IMG]
    Arg! Who let one go!

[​IMG]
    I wish I could fly!

[​IMG]
    Let battle commence!

[​IMG]
    Which way to Coronation steet?

[​IMG]
    Can't be bothered to think of anything anymore...

[​IMG]
    Still cant be bothered....

These were taken after Gary used his genius to set-up a perfect picture for me (thanks Gary Lightfoot!) and I think he'd be happy to know that I've deiced to keep Sharpness set to 0:)

Anyways I hope you guys like these images, but please bare in mind that they were taken with an XL-1 camcorder, and therefore I think what you're seeing in these pictures are 2 fields of a still frame. I think I'll try single fields next time so we can't see the field structure in the pics:)

2. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's a single field version of the last pic:)

[​IMG]

Half the vertical detail, but gets rid of those annoying visible lines in the original:)

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    If we'd had time, I'd have adjusted the colours to D65 for even further improvements. For those that are wondering, it looked a lot better in the flesh - the DVDs and Hi Def from the HTPC gave a very impressive image for the money.

Gary.

4. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +479
    I certainly hope so because to be frank the pictures that have been posted look crap.

5. Hippo04

Hippo04
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it just me but the aspect ratio looks wrong in the pictures?

6. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    I think you could do well and change the asoect raion from 1:85 to 2:351. The picture looks a little streched and not how it is supposed to be :)

7. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah sorry guys, as I said in my original post, these pictures were taken with a camcorder. When I get my still cam back I'll take some half decent ones:) trust me though... it does look a heck of a lot better in the flesh!

edit - btw the DVD & PJ were set to 2.35... I think you're seeing my wierd angle shooting along with my crappy editing skills:)

8. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    It is odd as they really do look like they are in the wrong aspect ratio...is the camcorder set to 'squeeze' the image or something?

9. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +927
    Hi Gary, so now you have seen one in the flesh so to speak how did you find it in the performance stakes?

10. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Not too bad to be honest.

Setting the white and black levels correctly gave a contrast ratio of 1800:1, Calibrating to D65 would have reduced that further of course, and the colours were a bit off in places which could be seen in the PLUGE pattern as well. The lack of contrast was noticeable with larger areas of black where shadow detail should exist, but overall the machine is fantastic value for money and can produce a very watchable image given the right souce and set-up. I think a colour correcting filter would allow more contrast to be eaked out and then maybe 2000:1 woud be possible after recalibrating to D65.

The scaler didn't seem too good coming from the DVD player at times with a lot of jaggies on edges etc, but from the HTPC it was as it should be, so it either needs an external scaler or an HTPC for best results. It may have been a set-up issue but I wasn't there long enough to be able to find out what setting options were in the DVD player or pj, and even then I don't know if that would have improved the de-interlacing. Interestingly, the most filmlike image from the DVD player came by using 1080i rather than 720p.

The image wasn't overly noisy like some HD2+ pjs can be, but was very bright on a 5ft wide screen, so we tried a polarising filter I happenned to have handy - it's very similar to an ND filter and it dimmed the image down nicely giving a better image still, so setting for closer to cinema levels of reflectance would be beneficial IMHO.

We did see some panning break up in a DVD menu but not during normal viewing, so we don't know if that was the normal DVD panning issue that some models have or just a peculiarity, but it was an isolated instance during the time I was there.

Gary.

11. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here you go:)

After some exporting option changes in edit software!

[​IMG]

I had it set to 4:3 instead of non-square in the options of the edit software I use:)

12. Bugblatter

Bugblatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got my 7700 last Monday and I've been trying out the first two LotR movies too. I've got the DVDs of all three movies but I managed to find hi-def versions of the first two. I'm using VLC from the PC, and using the VGA-to-BNC lead that came with the pj. The quality's fantastic, although there's probably still some tweaking I could do, and using DVI to HDMI may improve the quality even further.

13. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bugblatter,

Nice to see you're getting a nice pic out of your BenQ and not having the initial problems that I had:) Just a few questions if thats ok?

1) Where did you get the HD versions of the first two LOTR's?;)

2) Do you get slight ghosting on VGA?

Thanks
    Spike

14. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    The 3 LOTR movies have been posted (in varying formats) to a.b.hdtv in the past. Along with plenty of other material of course :) I only wish my HD server had more than 3TB [​IMG]

15. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WOW 3TB!! Thats way too much storage for any one man;)

I was hoping that a legal way might've been found....

16. Bugblatter

Bugblatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, I got them from the HDTV newsgroups.

It's a damned shame that we can't get this stuff in a legitimate way, although given that I bought the collector's editions of all three films I might not want to pay all over again :)

A lot of the hi-def stuff I've seen looks amazing, I can walk right up to the screen (ok, wall :p ) and it still looks good!

I haven't seen any ghosting, in fact I just tried whizzing a light window around on a black screen and still couldn't see any.

17. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    It's a bit hard to see the quality from interlaced camcorded images.

I'll be curious to see how the real things look.

18. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    These are only teasers until I get my camera back and I can obtain half decent pictures for you:) If anyone else has a BenQ 7700, please feel free to post your pics, if you can be bothered;)

19. lupinthe4th

lupinthe4th

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Spike

Now that Gary has set up your 7700,would you mind posting the settings that you are on now please. Thanks

20. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Hi Lupin,

The only real set-up I had time to do, was to set the white and black levels using a test disk, and check the contrast ratio. We also used a filter to see what the image would be like with an ND filter as it's too bright for a 5ft wide screen. You can only really set the levels yourself as they don't translate across to other machines very well, but if you have a THX DVD like Star Wars, you can use the THX Optimode to get your levels set but a proper test disk will be better. See the calibration thread at the top of the page.

We tried various movies so I could see how they compared with colour and contrast, as well as to see how the deinterlacing was being done, and the PC provided the best image overall.

Gary.

21. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Forgot to add - if my memory is correct, the lux at the screen was around 440, which equates to around 315 lumens in eco mode. That seems lower than the image appeared as it seemed very bright. If Spike has a better memory, then hopefully he will tell me what the reading really was. :)

On his 5ft 2inch wide screen, that equates to around 21ft lamberts of reflectance - almost double that recommended for cinema levels (12FL) and is actually about double that you would typically expect to find in local cinemas these days.

There was around an 18% difference in light uniformity from center to edge - it was brighter in the center by approx 80lux compared to the edges. Un-noticable under normal viewing conditions.

Gary.

22. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +927
    Hi Gary, thanks for the review. You stated that the colour was out as evidenced by the PLUGE pattern, forgive the simple question, but i assume that this can be corrected via tweaking or does it need colour correction filters, thanks.

23. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    It can be tweaked out via the RGB adjustments, but really needs an ISF to get it spot on. It's possible to do some bye-eye stuff to get rid of the obvious red in the low IREs but it's very tricky to get it right. Not many projectors come close to being calibrated out of the box (except for Infocus as far as I know), so it's not unusual, and is more expected at this price point.

Colour correction filters are normaly more useful for getting more contrast from a pj by allowing it to run more green and blue than it would do normaly, so an fl-day or CCR20 are often used.

Gary.

24. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +927
    Thanks again Gary, the other main reason for asking is that i am seriously considering the H78 or H79 as it is or will be now and according to the reviews and some members on this site there is a tendancy towards green, is this something that i can calibrate out via avia and the colour tests or does it need the isf as you have suggested.

25. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    It's very difficult to do by eye unless you knwo how much of the colours to add or subtract, but you may be able to tweak it out enough to make it less noticable. If it's noticably green an fl-day alone may fix it at the expense of overall image brightness.

You can use Avia or DVEs grey scale ramps to see if there is any obvious colour tints, and if there are, adjust the RGB brightness or contrast settings to remove the tint by adding the other colours or reducing the colour that the grey is biased too. It's not easy but you may find a balance you're happy with.

The H77 and H78 had different colour balance compared to each other, and the H78 may be different again. If it is the same as the USA H79, then colour temp 2 is around 6200k so isn't far from D65, though it could still have a colour push. I wonder if the UK H79 will have the same colour balance the H78 mod gave the H77, or if it will be identical to the USA model since that didn't have any panning issues, so didn't need an upgrade.

Gary.