1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some recomendation for a musical sub, please?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by cribeiro, Dec 12, 2004.

1. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Hello!

after listening music through full range headphones and realizing how I miss the low freqs in my otherwise great sounding stereo, I am thinking about completing it with a subwoofer.
    Now, I got a couple of Castle Richmond 3i and the Azur 640 cd-p and amp.
    What should I be looking at? I would love to own the Classic sub from Castle, but it is out of question... in the following year at least. Too much for my pocket!
    So the questions are:
    1. How much should I spend to get a decent, musical subwoofer matching the quality of my present gear?
    2. Is a passive subwoofer an alternative? It would be cheaper, and I have been told it is better when all the membranes are driven by the same amplification.
    Answers are welcome. Thanks!

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I don't know what the market is like in Germany but there aren't too many passive subs around now in the UK.

If you would consider second hand keep an eye eye out for a used REL, preferably a Strata or even better would be a Storm as they are eminently musical.