1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some reasurance please...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by drgoni, Jul 8, 2004.

1. drgoni

Standard Member

Jul 5, 2004
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Hi folks,

I've been viewing the forum for a couple of weeks now and have found it very useful and informative, so thanks for all the good advice.

However, as I'm very new to plasma technology, I'm hoping some of you more learned folk might be able to offer me some objective views before I finally take the plunge...

I had narrowed my search to the Hitachi 5300, Pioneer 434 & Panasonic PWD6 but after reading various posts, I realised I wasn't really comparing like for like. I like the idea of HD (although I really can't see HD broadcasts for the foreseeable future, despite the promises for years) and I've now narrowed my options to:

1. Panel only (PWD6/PHD6 or Pio equivalent) primarily fed through my av amp, or
    2. Panel + multimedia box (Pio 434)

The main problem with option 1. is the potential number of cables coming from the screen. As I've just spent the last couple of weeks chasing my walls to hide all the cabling, I really like the idea of the Pioneer - with just one (HDM1) cable between screen and box, as the aesthetics are important for household harmony!!

I've not noticed hugh differences between these two when viewed in showrooms and I've found it hard to get truely objective advice from retailers... and I think I've reached information saturation.

Generally, I think the reviews of the 434 have been very positive but as I don't have a HDMI amp or DVD player (yet?), will I really see the benefit of the HDMI link between the multimedai box and the screen, as I will be using component from dvd player to amp and from amp to multimedia box?

Do you guys think HDMI will become a de facto standard?

Does the 434 use a proprietary HDMI cable?

Finally, this may seem obvious wrt JL pricematch but what is the best way to approach this? [Ask them to do this over the phone, via email or in person?]

Many thanks in advance...