Some real noobie questions!!

rickyjohn

Established Member
Reaction score
Firstly, thanks all in advance!!

Cos I have quite a few questions, I'll try and keep them brief!!

1. PV500 v Hitachi 7200?
2. Connection options - I currently have Sky+, an old Scan 440lsi DVD, Kenwood receiver and PS2. I presume I should simply connect Sky, DVD to the plasma via good quality scarts?
3. As I will be wall mounting I was thinking of getting a component switcher so that I can run just 1 set of component leads to the switcher allowing me to add other component sources (i.e. PS2, a future upgrade of DVD player etc) without having to worrying about cabling etc. But does a component switcher compromise PQ compared with a direct link?
4. Why do I read some people state that certain scart sources should go into certain scart sockets on the plasma (e.g. Sky to AV2 on the 7200) - why not any AV input?

I'm sure there'll be more but many thanks!!

I cant help you with your first questions but to answer number 4, not all scarts are RGB enabled to you need to connect an RGB capable componant like a Sky box to an RGB enabled input on the TV which like i said there not all RGB ...why they dont just make them all RGB i dont know.

Andy

I think you have answered some of the questions yourself

1) pv500 v 7200 thats a choice only u can make demo both

2) wall mount I think the pv500 doesnt lend itself to wall mounting readily please check with other users re input connections at rear of plasma etc

3) Screen connections should always go in order of PQ ie
Digital(HDMI/DVI)
Component
Scart(RGB)
S video
Composite

In that order

so you will have to decide what you want the best PQ from

As a general rule

DVD goes via component or Digital
Sky via scart

You will find some people mention certain scarts as these generally tend to be the RGB enabled ones it differs from plasma to plasma

:hiya:

Thanks guys!

Think I'll go for the 7200.

Does anyone know if a component switcher is recommended or whether it compromises PQ?

kjt2004 said:
I think you have answered some of the questions yourself

3) Screen connections should always go in order of PQ ie
Digital(HDMI/DVI)
Component
Scart(RGB)
S video
Composite

In that order

so you will have to decide what you want the best PQ from

As a general rule

DVD goes via component or Digital
Sky via scart

:hiya:

Where does Scart to Component come in your list? Or should one strive to have the same input/output connection? Why are there so many leads? - in my day simple coaxial was good enough (although it was rubbish ;) )

I havent bothered with any changes in format because i have never used any

However as a general rule i would assume Connections on a like for like basis would be better than converting as it eliminates any signal loss in the conversion

However sometimes this is not always possible due to limit of connections from the relative equipment

regards

And the rule of thumb always applies ie rubbish in = rubbish out

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom