1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some quick Q's on Panasonic TH37PW7

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by niall18, Mar 15, 2005.

1. niall18

niall18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi people....

New to the forums and all and am in the process of buying my first Plasma Tv and have a few quick questions.

Firstly I think I'm going to opt for the TH37PW7 over the TH42PW7 mainly due to the fact that i can't quite afford the latter after i've bought all the extras. At the moment i'm assuming all i miss out on is 5inches of screen but would like clarification on that.

Secondly whilst i'm familiar with the Technology i'm not familiar with the extras i need. The deal i've found on the web at the moment says a scart terminal board is included for free. Obviously i'll need a stand for it but what about other things ie. is the free board the right one and what cables etc might i need baring in mind i need the TV for the following
    1) TV/Sky
    2) DVD's
    3) PC...if possible

I think thats all :cool:

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    Hi,

I have a similar set-up...

Cheap option
    PC connected via VGA
    DVD and TV tuner looped through scart - connected to free scart terminal

Less cheap option
    DVI board for PC connection (£130)
    DVD and Tuner looped through scart through JS Technology RGB to VGA converter (£120) into standard VGA input in plasma.

I have been running option 1 for a couple of months and picture quality is very good. Just in the process of upgrading to option 2, if you can wait until Thursday I will tell you the results.... although I expect someone else on this forum will respond soon!

lisa
    :)

Oh, the only difference between the 37" and 42" PW7 is that you have space for three terminal boards on the 42, and only two on the 37. Arguably the 37 looks better as the resolution is the same as the 42, but the pixels are smaller.

3. niall18

niall18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response lisa...very helpfull, i'm going down the shops this week to check one out and at the moment from what i've read PW7 seems to be the one to go for. I have just read a review of TH-42PW7 on Home Cinema Hardware which has the following negatives:

1) It says "This is a monitor only design so has no speakers supplied"
    2) It says "It has relatively low screen resolution so the picture isn't as sharp
    3) No digital connectivity

So whats that all about coz it means little to me :rolleyes:

and just out of interest what would the average-expensive option be in regards to cables, boards etc if anyone has one? :)

4. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    That review has been discussed on this forum, and most people have dis-regarded it... a lot of people here have the PW7 screen and are really happy with it.

Cables, get the best you can afford?
    I normally go for mid-range (£20 to £30 per cable)
    Try www.tvcables.co.uk or www.beststuff.co.uk, Van Damme, IXOS, Profigold are some good names. I think for a plasma you have to make sure they are adequately screened or have ferrite cores so as not to cause any interference with the screen.

Happy shopping

5. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    You do say you are new to the forums so just in case you are not aware the 2 panels you mention are standard definition not High definition panels. They will not be fully compatible with SKY's 2006 launch of High definition broadcasts or the forthcoming HDDVD/Blue Ray. However the panel will still display a great picture just not a high res one, so given the price of the Panny 37" buy away.
    If you search around you can gather enough info on the forums to decide whether High def is of much concern, I just wanted to make sure you are aware of it being around the corner and how the Panny PW7 is regards suitability.
    Suitable HD panels cost on average £2600 and currently only Pioneer have one fully compatible, with Hitachi and Panasonic due out in the next couple of months(again well over £2k)

6. niall18

niall18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmmm thanks for that, i didn't know about the whole HD stuff. I really want a Plasma now so i think i'll go with the 37PW7. I don't think i could even afford a Plasma at 2K++ so not much point in me waiting.

Thanks for all the tips people, my boss mentioned to me today that its possible and cheaper to buy extra warranty straight from the manufacturer, he said he phoned up Sony and was able to get 3 years warranty on his TV for half the price the shop was offering. Any truth behind that?

7. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    I got my 37" PW7 from Richer Sounds and for 10% of the screen price they give an extra 2 year at home warranty. I think the price has dropeed to below £1000 now, so for about £1100 you could have the TH37PW7 with 3 year at home warranty, which has to be excellent value....

Beware that they probably will not be able to supply you with all the terminal boards you want, or provide good advice, but if you know what you want this is a good option.

www.day3.co.uk sell the boards, or look on the classified forums here for some second-hand ones.

High Definition is an issue but personally I will wait a couple of years and upgrade when the prices drop.

happy shopping
    lisa

8. niall18

niall18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks chicken you've been a great help, I just found a deal where I get TH-42PW7 with scart board and 3year warranty for 1600 quid which is pretty good i think coz i don't have to pay for a year which is prob good considering everything else i'm buying at the moment :)

Boy kitting a new flat out is real expenisve. :cool:

9. thegooseman

thegooseman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bear in mind that all pw7's are baisicly a computer monitor to start with, you can plug in your computer via the port already availible. the extra scart terminal is then free for following set up-

sky-dvd-pw7

dvd is better source for picture.

you could also set up dvd-sky-pw7 but I'd prefere the first

for sound, depending on dvd, connect both sources via optical(dvd) and rf(sky) or just one from dvd (rf-cheep or optical-pricey or digital coax best) if will allow pic when on standby. but if only connect one from dvd sound will have a minutely larger time delay, cos it has to go through dvd as well.

10. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    Oh yeah.... you'll need some sound,
    Have you got an AV amp for that? And some speakers?

11. niall18

niall18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    u know i was just about to come back here and ask loads more questions.....i'm still not sure about my boards and cables...i think i want the best quality ones around but don't really know which those are. Let me explain what my current status is.

- One plasma TV with scart terminal board
    - A PC which I've been using for the past year to play my DVD's with..normally just hook up my S-Video to the TV.
    - A set of these logitech speakers.... http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=8225&GroupID=233

Source Inputs read as follows:
    * Digital optical for DVD or CD players, PlayStation®2, Xbox®**
    * Digital coaxial for DVD or CD players or PC sound cards (requires coaxial cable, sold separately)
    * 6 channel direct (3 stereo-mini connectors) for 2, 4, or 6 channel PC sound cards OR
    * 6 channel direct (3 stereo-mini connectors) for 3 stereo analog mini audio sources, like CD and DVD players, Playstation 2, Xbox, or 2 channel PC sound cards (some devices may require stereo mini to dual RCA adapter, sold separately)
    * Analog stereo-mini (on side panel of control center) for portable CD, MP3,or MiniDisc® players

- A Sky+ Box....just ordered today so dunno what i get with that.

That pretty much sums up what I have, what I don't have may be a lot and very expensive to get, but hey i don't care....any help appreciated, think i'll go back to the shop and ask these questions too but nice to have some sort of an idea...forgive my stupidity as well :D

12. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    Oh crikey, might be getting a bit complicated now, I'm sure someone clever will be along soon to help.

I use an AV amp running 5 speakers and a sub (.1), it is a Cambridge Audio, sounds fanatastic and only cost £250 (Richer Sounds again), it can also be used for video switching via Component / S-Video, but I haven't used that option.

I don't understand how those speakers work without an amp, I guess they are self-powered with internal amps....?

I suppose in theory you would still input sound directly from all your sources (DVD, tv tuner, Xbox, pc) through digital audio out (spdif or coax) and then run the video to signals direct to screen. I suspect getting a stand-alone AV amp would provide better quality sound.