SOme questions re the Panasonic DMR-EX77EB-S

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by docnaz, May 3, 2007.

1. docnaz

docnaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI
    I am thinking of changing my DVR to this one and I have a few questions. Current DVR is Pioneer DVR720H.
    1) Will the upsacling via component give me a better picture on my SD plasma - PAnny TH42PE50
    2) Will I be able to control both TV and DVR with one remote or is that only available thru HDMI?
    3) Will the sound out be 5.1 via a suitable amplifier?
    4) Tha EX77 seems v good value for money. Would people agree with that?

Many thanks

docnaz

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    These are not easy questions to answer, partly because the detailed specification has not yet been released and it is not out in the marketplace yet and so pricing remains uncertain.

Firstly a minor point: The model number is actually DMR-EX77EBK ... the suffix S would mean silver - and as far as I know it is only being released in black - denoted by the suffix K. [Edit- Correction Update. The machine IS available in Silver or Black}

1 - You cannot upscale via component... only via HDMI

2 - You may be asking 2 different questions here. The Panasonic DVDR remote will control the basic functions of a TV [ Any make ] but you may be meaning will it control the TV via a link function... The Panasonic DVDR is equipped for this ... Your TV would need to be too for it to work.

3 - Unknown until the detailed specification is released.

4 - Difficult to know until the marketplace price is known... but generally Panasonic are regarded as high value , high quality products, which though expensive , justify their cost.

3. langbarb

langbarb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gavtech
    according to the panasonic website there is a black and a silver version.
    http://www.panasonic.co.uk/dvd-recorders/index.htm

As per the 5.1 sound the EX75 had an optical out (from panny website specs). Should the EX77 have the optical too, would this mean that if a suitable surrond system is connected to it via the optical cable then I would get the 5.1 sound (sorry for akward wording..., English is not my first language).
    Thanks

4. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    Thanks for that information langbarb.
    That's a recent addition that was not there last time I looked... and I have only heard of the unit being promoted in black.
    I think it is very likely, as the EX75 could do this when a 5.1 source was present... and there is no reason to think the specification will change in the EX77... However I would not commit to certainty until the full specification is released.