1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some questions re: the Loewe Aconda 9381 televisions...

Discussion in 'TVs' started by zsaddique, Dec 19, 2001.

1. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there! :)

After a lot of convincing, me and my mum went down to John Lewis (Oxford St., London) to check out out the new tv's on offer and see what catches our eyes. After doing a lot of research earlier, I had hoped to choose the Panasonic TX-36PB50 as my preferred option, due to it's great reviews. While my mum isn't against it, she thinks this new Leowe Aconda model is drop dead gorgeous! :eek:

So, here's the questions...

1) What is the difference between the Aconda 9381 ZWP model (what we saw at the store) and the ZWB model which is the black model EmpireDirect.com is selling?

2) In your opinion, how does the picture quality of the Leowe models compare to that of the Panasonic TX-36PB50?

3) According to a review by Home Cinema Choice Online the picture quality of 4:3 broadcasts aren't too nice when in zoom mode on the Loewe tv, how true is this?? With the Panny I'd use the "Just" mode instead, which is supposed to be very good for watching 4:3 pictures.

4) If anyone here has the knowledge, is the picture quality of digital broadcasts such as Sky or NTL digital on the Hitachi 43" Illumina series (rear projection set) as good as these CRT TV's? Or are rear projections still not up to the job yet?

5) Lastly, which of the mentioned sets would you suggest us to purchase and why? ;) It will be used for watching NTL digital broadcasts mostly, with a DVD or two each week with the mates. :cool:

Sorry about all the questions, I just can't wait to finally get the "ALL GO!!!" message and finally get to trash my 10-year old ancient colourless telly! :D

Cheers,

Zahid Saddique

2. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, maybe that was a bit too much.. so I'll try again! :rolleyes:

This time, just say "Pass!" if you don't have an answer to one of the questions...

Please?? ;)

Thanks!!

3. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Knock knock... anyone home?? :confused:

4. Barry Bingham

Barry Bingham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Zahid. I plumped for an Aconda 32" in preference to either the 36" Panny PB50 or the 36" picture frame Toshiba. Thats because I concluded that picture quality was better and more consistent with the Loewe. In answer to your queries:

1. The 9381 ZP (which I own) is the classic black body/silver facia set which has been around since launch in 2000. it is still current but there are now a choice of colours including new cheaper "lifestyle" 9281 models in a choice of colours and 9581 with dolby upgrade.

2. The picture has a unique vivid intensity characteristic of Loewe. There are no NTSC moire issues- which the Panny suffers from. Or chassis hum. I think the PB50 is capable of great things but it is not consistent- either between individual sets or accross all material. With good reception conditions- the Loewe is good in all areas- even outside broadcast, outstanding in many (DVD, Digital Terrestial film transmission, studio..).

3. I read the comment on soft images when 4:3 is zoomed up- but I watch all 4:3 on "cine" which fills the 16:9 screen at the cost of some cropping and I do not notice any significant softening- although it makes senses that images will be less sharp when zoomed on all sets it simply isn't a problem in my experience- I don't know why they made this point unless the chassis/software has changed since the test.

4. I looked at some RPTVs early in my year long hunt- but dismissed them because of weak contrast. I guess if you have a dedicated viewing room with low ambient light- and size is what matters most to you- you might consider one. But I prefer a more vivid if smaller picture. And unless you have a biggish room a vast RPTV can look pretty gross IMO.

Do a search on these sets and you'll find more positive and fewer negative comments about Loewe in general and the Aconda in particular than is the case with any other CRT. Remember though that none of the 100Hz pure flat widescreens are completely free of geometry or purity issues- the only question is whether their deficiencies are noticeable! I just wanted a better picture than on my old Panasonic 4:3. IMO ONLY the Loewe consistently delivered this.....

5. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    One review I've just read on the Panasonic 32PB50 criticizes its poor geometry and conspicous digital image processing.

If I had to buy a telly right now, I'd go for a cheaper 50Hz (JVC keeps being mentioned), or for the Loewe. Or for that money, buy an LCD projector.

Regards.

6. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Grubert: Thanks for your comments. Could you please tell me where you read that? Even thought the Aconda is very tempting I'm still swaying towards the Panny at the moment. I'd really like to read this review you mentioned.

Barry: GREAT reply!! ;) Thanks so much for taking the time to write all that! A few questions..

You say the Panny model suffers from NTSC moire issues. I have heard this, but how bad is it? I do have a lot of R1 DVD's so I don't want to have a problem with viewing them. If this issue is irritating, is there a solution to it? It's not mentioned on the review by HCC Online.

Also, how much did you pay for your model and where did you get it from? I see Empire Direct sell the ZWB (which looks the same as the ZWP) model for £1,629.95, although the stand is an additional £312.48. A bit too much, IMO!

Thanks again! :D

Zahid

7. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Zahid,

I read it on the latest issue of the french mag Les Années Laser. While they praised the sound system, they said that in rapidly moving sequences the image circuits seemed to be totally overwhelmed, causing patches of uneven colour and posterization.

Regarding geometry I'm loath to buy from a company that doesn't even want to spend a man-hour adjusting the set before it leaves the factory.

And as far as moiré is concerned, I've got it on my 4:3 Panasonic set. About a tenth of the image width is affected on both sides. It bugs the hell out of me, but my missus doesn't notice. Mind you, I accidentally disconnected the right-channel cable from the CD player once and she didn't notice either. :rolleyes:

Regards.

8. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replying again Grubert!

I tried looking on the magazine's web site but unfortunately, I need to improve on my French quite a bit first! :mad:

I've actually spent the last day reading RAVE reviews on the newsgroups about how impressive this tv is and how much better it is compared to the Sony's and Panny's.. to be honest, I think I'm sold already!! :eek:

These moire issues with the Panasonic seem quite bad though. I was hoping to get one of these before I read up on the Aconda. Oh well, I guess we'll have to see what mum says!

BTW, are wives as hard to convince as mum's?? :rolleyes: :D

Cheers,

Zahid

9. Barry Bingham

Barry Bingham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I paid £1550 for my Aconda from House of Fraser on a price match with Empire Direct. As for the stand- it looks groovy but holds only your vcr. You have to buy a second shelf to hold the DVD and given that a digibox would slide off the aconda's steeply sloping top- you still havve a problem. Forget the stand and buy a general purpose stand with room for at least three separates.

You might not think NTSC moire will bother you now- but if you get into DVD more you might start to appreciate the superior choice & features of R1 discs. And then it will drive you nuts... As for conspicuous processing- well as long as you feed the Aconda a strong signal and set the optimum processing options my experience is that you're unlikely ever to see a digital artefact or smear...

Theres a big personal factor in choosing a widescreen. You need to see the sets in action and make your own mind up. And bear in mind that with 100Hz pure flats none are perfect. In spite of my praise for Aconda I'm one of the few to have got a duff set (purity problems) first time round- which HoF replaced with my present, glorious, example. So do make sure you buy from someone who will swap if you're unlucky. Postings here & elsewhere suggest that you're more likely to be unlucky with the Panny than with the Loewe..... Whichever you go for- all the best!

10. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again Barry! We actually saw the Aconda in John Lewis, it's a shame they don't do internet price matching any more though! :( We did go to House of Fraser, but I don't recall seeing it there.

BTW, I just checked EmpireDirect.com and the price for the ZWB (is this the same as the ZWP??) is now £1,629.95!! :eek: I remember reading some old posts which mentioned the same model on EmpireDirect.com but less expensive than what you mentioned actually.

About the stand.. the mum likes the overall look, so taking the stand away might be disastrous, but at least I can justify it! ;) Hopefully, we can find something more suitable.

Thank you for your advice, it's much appreciated. I've decided the Loewe Aconda 9381ZWP is the way to go... now all we gotta do is get hold of some dosh!! :D

Cheers! :cool:

P.S. BTW, do any other proud Aconda owners have anything they wanna add??? :)

11. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,344
    Hi zsaddique
    Just do a search on my posting in the television forum, and you will see every one is singing the praise of the Loewe Aconda and for the millionth time (seems like it) I was even considering the Sony 36 inch set for £2500 and still went for the 32inch Aconda because of the better picture quality.
    By the way it has ton's of features including PiP as well as PaP.

:cool:Ruby quartz shades.

12. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool idea!!... only, that was the FIRST THING I did when I came to this forum back from John Lewis! :D

I've read lots of positive comments on this forum and even more on the newsgroups, so it seems the Loewe Aconda IS the set to go for. I'm just a bit upset that I can't go for the matching stand. Oh well, I guess I'll survive! ;)

13. brattle

brattle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just purchased an Aconda 9281 from ED for £1,450 (the silver one). I checked the Loewe web site and even phoned Loewe and they confirmed that the 9281 and 9381 are essentially identical. The 9281 is all silver too rather than having a back back which improves its looks even further.

I'm amazed at the picture quality. I too was looking at the 36" sets originally, but I decided that after a while you tend to get used to whatever picture size you are watching, but any image problems will bother you forever.

I have been watching NTL cable and DVDs since I got it and I must say, the image is near as perfect as I could have hoped for (after switching of all the filters).

Another happy Loewe convert :).

14. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,344
    If you want a larger picture you could always move you seat closer to the TV.
    As to the colour It is down to personal preference I think the black looks oozes class and blends with the screen when switched off and looks like B&O. On the other hand the silver is cheaper( price wise), and does make the set look smaller(with that black band at the bottom) and would match silver DVD players and videos. No matter what colour they all look good, and do not forget the red and blue.

:cool:Ruby quatz shades.

15. brattle

brattle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Aconda has no black band at the bottom. The set is completely silver.

Personally I prefer the silver kit (and more importantly it has a higher WAF ;) ).

16. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good to hear from you guys. I was surprised to see the difference in price for the 9281 and the 9381 when you said they're identical except in looks, so I emailed the Loewe Customer Service Team an Linn Products Ltd. (Scotland) and they promptly replied with the following (btw, great response time!)..

Dear Zahid,

Thank you for your email as follows:

The Aconda 9381 and 9281 are technically identical, the difference is purely cosmetic.

The 9381 comes in Stratosmetallic Blue/Red and High Gloss Black, these colours are on the front of the set only, the rear of these set is black.

The 9281 (Aconda Living) come in Light Silver, Light Green and Light Blue, these sets are the same colour front and back.

Both are 81cm (32")

I trust this is the information you require.

Please feel free to contact me at Loewe Customer Services if I can offer any further assistance.

Kind regards
    John Chavner.
    Loewe Customer Service.

-----Original Message-----
    From: zahid@killer-profits.com [mailto:zahid@killer-profits.com]
    Sent: 21 December 2001 12:45
    To: HelplineLS
    Subject: Considering a Loewe TV...

Diese Anfrage wurde an John Chavner von Zahid Saddique gesendet.

Hi there,

I am considering purchasing a Loewe Aconda Widescreen but I'm not sure which model to go for.

According to EmpireDirect.com, the 9381 model is ?1,629.95 while the 9281 model (which is all silver) is ?1,450.86. Can you explain what the difference between these two models are? The web site says that the 9381 is 76cm while the 9281 is 81cm, yet both claim to be 32" models??

Look forward to your response.

Regards,

Zahid Saddique

So, if that's correct, how comes the £179 price difference? TBH, I prefer the 9381 looks, but I'll have to see the 9281 in real life to make a choice. If only there was a Loewe showroom nearby! :(

Anyway, thanks for all the replies. I've definitely made my mind up (and decided the Panny isn't worth the hassle), now it's just a matter of getting a few demonstrations (JL, HoF?) and then choosing a retailer that can sell it at the best price along with a good guarantee.

Zahid

17. brattle

brattle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The silver 9281s look lovely IMO. Imagine the silver 9381 all the same colour and there you have it.

As for the price difference with ED, I think this has to do with two things. Often manufacturers will update equipment but still sell their old stock at the same price. This is also true with Panasonic where the PB series is often cheaper than the older but nearly identical PG.

Secondly, ED buy a lot of their stock in bulk and therefore get discounts off the wholesale price. I enquired with them before why the Mission FS2 speaker pack was £450 in grey and yet £650 in white and this was the answer I got.

IMO a difference of £200 in the price is a lot to pay for a different colour casing. Alternatively if you like the design of the Vitros, you could always go for that.

18. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, it's not that I don't like the 9281 but it was the 9381 I saw in John Lewis and not a 9281. Since I would by purchasing it from a department store with a 5 year guarantee (such as JL or HoF) then it has to be the model they are selling of course. If any store does have a 9281 when I visit next time, then I'll see if they can pricematch Empire Direct's price of £1,450.

Zahid

19. brattle

brattle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd ask if they can get the 9281. I went to JL in Milton Keynes and they didn’t have any Loewes at all. They did say they could get in any model though, but they wouldn’t price match the ED price of £1,450. Your local store may be able to order the 9281 and agree to price match. You never know.

20. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I'll make some enquiries. I doubt JL would pricematch Empire Direct though, they don't do Internet price matching any more.

21. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,344
    brattle, is yours a new one! that I have not seen, but the silver ones I last saw, had a black matt felt? band where the speakers were.

:cool: Ruby quartz shades.

22. brattle

brattle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Garrett,

I've literally had my Aconda for three days. It is one of the new 9281 and yes the speakers are silver too.

Like the all black model, the finish on the back and the speakers is slightly different to the front. It looks nice though and gives it a kind of two tone effect.

I'm very pleased, both with the performance and the looks. I guess I'm lucky I like the silver model and it's the model that happened to be at the cheapest price :).

I've sat it on a Alphason Design AVR32 stand which tones in very nicely with its smoked glass shelves and silver aluminium legs. I should received my Kef Eggs from M&D monday so I'll have an all silver collection :D.

23. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,344
    Hi brattle
    I don’t know how I did it but I got my black Aconda the same price as the silver. Only thing I had to wait a bit for it, as Loewe where having a bit of trouble with the black finish surround, and they where top whack at even discount places that had them in stock, in this period.

24. Silva

Silva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Well I went into a SevenOaks store and asked the question about the difference between the 9381 and cheaper 9281 and was told that the the 9281 used a Toshiba tube and the 9381 used a Phillips.
    How true this is anyone knows, you never seem to be able to get a straight answer from anybody nowadays. The store assistant did say that thay did pester Loewe thamselves for this answer as they too were questioning the price difference. Make of it what you will...

25. LostInUK

LostInUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Silva,

I can assure the 9281 have Toshiba tube because I have seen mine with the chassis open when it was upgraded with the VGA card. Do not know if 9381 has the Phillips or not.
    Anyway, after the ISF calibration the image is stunning. Never seen better on a TV.

26. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,344
    I got my Aconda back in April and at the time every dealer told me the tube was a Philips.