1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some questions from new member

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Abbs985uk, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Abbs985uk

Abbs985uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

Im looking into buying a Plasma or LCD and was wondering if anyone has suggestions/comments on which ones to go for.

Also I have a Pioneer AV amp (VSX2014) and DVD player (868) which has HDMI output.

Im ok when it comes to connecting up the amp and DVD to a TV, but was wondering if Im using the HDMI to connect DVD to a Plasma/LCD how would I connect a Sky + box as I understand the new Sky + boxes will also have a HDMI output? Bearing in mind all the HDMI TVs Im aware of have only one HDMI input.

Any suggestions/comments? Is it possible to have switchover boxes or something similar?

Thanks

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    If the plasma has dvi also use a hdmi to dvi cable. It wont affect anything dvi is the same it just doesnt send audio.

3. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    And when u say the new sky+ boxes have HDMI are you talking about high definition or are sky bringing out a another box?

4. mr_incredible

mr_incredible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its true tv's will only ship with one HDMI socket (at the moment) so if I were you I would pick what you will be using the most and use that as your HDMI and then use component for the other. As Sky wont be launching HD until Dec/Jan I think use your DVD with HDMI and if you have Sky or Sky+ currently use an RGB scart cable. Im sure there is some kind of AV switcher/junction box with which you could input more than one HD source into, remember you can send it via DVI also into a switcher box. With regards to the plasma Panasonic have just released thier new range of HD ready plasmas which look very impressive and are quire low priced as well. I think Pioneer still rule the rooste for picture quality, then again Sony's new HD plasmas are awsome too! Decisions decisions! I prefer the look on the Panasonics as thier new 8th generation screens have an added black filter which really enhances the blacks and created an awsome depth of field without looisng the detial in the black areas. Its up to you my friend, do some research and definately, without question, it is imperative, its paramount, its very very important that you go to showrooms and check out the plasmas you want to buy. Dont go purley on reviews or recomendations alone, use them to whittle down your choices but someone elses opinoin/view may be different to yours and there are so many people who order a plasma without going to see it in action then regret it later when they see a better looking one later on in the showroom which they didnt look at! Good luck and post back on here to let us know how you got on.

5. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    By the time Sky launch their HD service I'm sure that there will be HDMI switch boxes available.

There's even talk that Sky might include a "passthrough" HDMI input port on their boxes.

T.

7. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. Abbs985uk

Abbs985uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the info guys, very much appreciated. Will start looking into buying a plasama with HDMI on the basis that there are bound to be switching boxes available soon enough! In any event having spent a samll fortune on the Amp id rather not for out for a HDMI Amp just yet!

Any info on what model numbers the Panasonic plasmas are or suggestions for suitable LCD screens?

Cheers

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    switching boxes are available right now, you just need to know where to look, Gefen do a few as do some others..............