1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

some questions from a newbie

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by mulder, Jun 27, 2004.

1. mulder

mulder
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am going to buy a digital camera but I'm getting totally confused, so I would be grateful if someone could answer these following questions.

1. what is more important the amount megapixels or the optical zoom
    ie. the camera I was interesred in Olympus C765 uz has 4.0mega pixels and 10x optical zoom is it better to go for the 10x optical zoom or go for a camera with 5.0mega pixels and 3x optical zoom? or does it really matter that much either way?
    2. Reading advice for newbies it states that you are better off getting a camera with AA batteries because they are cheaper in the long run so would I be right in saying that digital cameras don't come with a built in charger?

3. If the answer to question 2 is digital cameras don't have built in chargers is it possible to buy a Li10B charger and rechargeable batteries as the olympus C765uz takes that type of battery?
    4. How many pictures does a 64mb XD card hold?

Thanks

2. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    Depends what you want to use the camera for. A 10x optical zoom means you can get closer to the action from your vantage point. It may also give you more versatility and control when it comes to taking photos (in creative terms).

In terms of megapixels it depends how big you may want to output your finished image. A 5Mp camera image will print up to A3. If you know you won't output at this size, don't bother. But you may want to crop out parts of an image to create a better picture. Having more pixels to work from would be better as you can crop away at an image and still be able to output it a largeish size.

AA batteries are handy as you can get them anywhere - even in the remotest of locations. You're best off getting a few sets of rechargeables so you're never without. The problem of a camera with an intergated battery/charger is that it would be useless whilst charging.

Number of images on a 64Mb card... depends on the resolution you take at. I get around 200 at standard setting on my 5Mp Minolta Dimage. Just found this link http://www.digicamhelp.com/learn/camera-questions-and-answers/memory-card-capacity.htm which shows number of images per memory card.

They recommend a 128Mb as min for a 4Megapixel camera

CL

3. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    As far as batteries go, the general feeling is that AA gives you a lot more options and is cheaper.

But having just bought a camera that uses it's own battery pack (with external charger), I have discovered that whilst the vendors own batteries are expensive (£50 a pop), it is easy to get OEM batteries for a lot less (I just paid £18 for TWO!!!). I tend to get some 300+ shots from a full charge so in RAW mode, can fill 4 x 1-GB CF cards with what I have. now that's a lot of photos.

So don't let the battery issue put you off a camera if everything else is what you want.

4. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Mulder , check out the Dimage Z2 , I bought one a month ago and have never looked back .

You got 4mp
    10 x optical zoom
    800 *600 at 15fps and 640*480 at 30 fps movie modes
    easy to use point and click mode or full manuel settings
    SLR looks
    takes AA batts !
    memory is cheap ,i paid £20 for a 128mb card and £40 for a 256mb card
    I can store about 180 top resolution pictures in FINE mode .

I paid £253 for the camera at amazon

5. mulder

mulder
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the help guys!
    Mansell, the damige Z2 was one of the cameras I have shortlisted as well as the olympus C765uz but to be honest I'm still trying to make up my mind.
    Basically though i'm just looking to spend a maximum of £300-£320 including any accesories I might need and i just didn't want to have to fork out for batteries every now and again. I rather have re-chargeables but like network-guy states I shouldn't let the whole battery issue put me off.
    Any recomendation on cameras around my price range would help

6. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    Check out the Samsung V5. Not a common name in digicam circles but it could fit the bill nicely. 5Mp, 3X optical zoom, Macro down to 5cm, Schneider Kreuznach lens (very high quality), takes about 9 types of battery, full auto and manual control, 640 x 480 movie mode. I paid £270 for it, but you could probably get it cheaper elsewhere.

More details here: http://www.samsungcamera.co.uk/content/219/2082

CL

7. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    you could get the Camera for £253 from amazon
    a 256mb Sd card from scan.co.uk for about £35
    and a uniross battery and charger for £20-£30 (depends on battery capacity and charger type)

8. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I've just bought an Olympus 765 from Jessops via their price matching offer(they matched Comet's net price of about £270).

Before I bought,I checked it against the Kodak 6490,Fuji S5000,and a few others...in terms of build quality it came out best,with a metal case,and generally very good feel,and the image quality was easily the best.

It's also worth taking a look at
    www.steves-digicams.com for a few reviews,and some quite interesting shots showing lens quality on most of the cameras in each price range.

Anyway...thats what I bought,and very happy with it.