1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some questions for Denon users.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by hi_robb, Dec 12, 2003.

1. hi_robb

hi_robb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi folks,

I got myself a Denon 3800 yesterday (bought from THX from the forums with no hassle and in mint condition), I set it up last night and have found a few things while using it which have baffled me. Oh and in case THX is reading and wondering they aren't bad things, just new user questions.

Right, first my setup.

Panasonic PD30 (32')
    Denon 3800 (latest firmware installed)
    Mark Grant Component cable

When I first set the Denon up, I went in to the menus and set it to interlaced, when playing back DVD's they all played back in progressive mode (the info on my tv shows a progressive signal), even though I had the DVD player set to interlaced in the menus.

While playing around, I set the Video out 1 option to Video rather than RGB and suddenly my picture switched to Interlaced mode.

The first question is why when set to RGB in that video 1 option did the Denon only output a progressive scan signal no matter if interlaced was set on or not?

The next question regards the TV type and progressive scan. If I set the tv type to Multi and pop a PAL dvd in, will the denon output a pal progressive signal? Or does it have to be set to PAL to get a PAL progressive?

For some reason, last night when I had it set to multi and progressive scan mode, it looked like the TV was actually outputting a NTSC progressive signal when I had a PAL disk in, I might have been imagining that one though.

Many thanks for the help.

Dave

2. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    I'll try and help out. ! don't have a progessive capable TV, but i believe that it can only be set to either RGB or Progressive, not both at the same time. Maybe this was causing some of the confusion??, maybe one mode get priority??

The Multi function seems to work ok on my 2900, but a good way to tell what signal is being received is to check your colour settings. If a NTSC signal is present then an additional 'Hue' option should appear.

Hopefully pther with a similar setup will be able to help you some more.

Giz :)

3. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hi,

It may not help with your specific questions, but for general info check out: www.geocities.com/denon3800

Sorry I haven't got more time to answer....

Hope it helps...

JJ

4. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've posted about this little oddity myself, I have a2800mkII and with the latest firmware I have exactly the same issue, if Video out is set at RGB then the component outputs Progressive no matter what the setting for component is, its a little strange but no major problem.
    Before the latest firmware update if the Video out was set to RGB at the same time as trying to use the component in progressive mode then the picture would go haywire, so if anything I'd say its an improvement..

On a side note, how do you rate the progressive scan output on your panny, I have a PH40 with my 2800mkII and with progressive I'm not impressed, I think the panny has some issues.

5. hi_robb

hi_robb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lo there m8,

To be hoenst I've not been impressed by progressive scan, if anything I think the picture is far better in interlaced mode. I'm about to do some serious comparisons.

When I switch to progressive mode things like the setup menus on the DVD player look way worse.

I think though perhaps it's the fact that in progressive mode my Tv switches to a flickery 60hz mode or something which drives me mad. If I set interlcaed mode I can set the tv to 100hz and get a gorgeous flicker free picture.

I dunno I've been a bit dissapointed by the whole progressive scan thing, perhaps I was expecting too much.

Playback in interlaced mode though is rather stunning.

Dave