1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some questions for any Denon 3802 owners

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Ash007, Jan 29, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Ash007

Ash007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could anybody answer these questions regarding the Denon3802 for me please.
    I can't find the answers in the manual.

What is the point of the "dts" and "pcm" input buttons when it does it automatically if left on "auto"?

What is PCM?

Should the receiver automatically jump to Dolby D if a film is a DD5.1 film on Sky+.
    I havn't found a film that does this yet. Sky don't seem to indicate which ones (if any)are in DD5.1

As nearly all films (DVDs) are in DD5.1 does having surround and surroundback speakers make much differance? Are they (surr back) neccesarry?

There are a few references to a surround mode "6.1". Is this short for Dolby Digital 6.1 or EX or whatever its called or is it something else?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Ash

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    1. The point is if 'auto' mode doesn't work you can select it manually. Leave it to 'auto' though.

2. PCM = Pulse Code Modulation, used for CD-Audio via digital connection (coax or optical)

3. If in 'auto' mode, yes.

4. They are not necessary. There are a few DVDs though which support the surround back speakers, those contain either Dolby Digital Ex, DTS Es or DTS Es Discrete soundtracks, see also below.

5. Correct, DD Ex, DTS Es or DTS Es Discrete are referred to as 6.1 systems, when using two surround back speakers they are also sometimes called 7.1 (also used for THX Surround Ex).
    Actually DTS Es Discrete is the only true 6.1 system and there is nothing like a 7.1 system (yet), so technically speaking the terms are usually wrongly used.

3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,976
    er....i don't think there is anything else to add.....

4. sphynx

sphynx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does evryone else's 3802 automatically switch to DTS then? ...'cos mine doesn't.

e.g. on R1 Gladiator....

5. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,976
    you have to change the sound format in the films, audio setup menu.

6. sphynx

sphynx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep...done all that (pioneer 626 dvd).. but I still have to manually switch to DTS on the 3802...it won't do it automatically.

7. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have a Denon 2802 amp, and that automatically switches to DTS when it detects a DTS signal from my DVD player. My only suggestions can be:

1. Your DTS films might be old so thay don't have the DTS flag. Therefore you'll have to switch to DTS manually on your amp. I heard this was the case with some DVD's. Newer films with the flag will make your amp switch to DTS automatically.

2. Some DVD players have DTS disabled by default, so you'll have to enable it on the setup menu. My Pioneer 444 player is like that. Once you've enabled it, you don't need to keep on enabling it on the player each time you want DTS. The option to have it disabled is for the benefit of customers with older amps which don't have DTS decoders, and it's to protect from speaker damage from the noise produced when you try to send a DTS stream into a Dolby Digital decoder.

In all cases, make sure the DVD film supports DTS and you have it selected in the disk's Audio menu. Otherwise the disk will play in Dolby Digital by default.

8. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    my 3802 switches quite happily between DD & DTS as I flick the audio track on T2 between the two formats (comparing the bass on the Nuke detonation dream sequence).