Some questions about the Yammy DSP-Z7

norliss

Hi there. I got my Z7 this week and what a lovely piece of kit it is :thumbsup:

I wondered if I could ask the wiser owners out there a few questions?

1/ Is it possible to decide whether to process on a per-input (rather than per-connection type) basis? I'd like it to do the video processing on most of my sources but leave the Blu-ray exactly as is.

2/ When I set the sound levels for each speaker I initially noticed the test tone was very low and needed to be turned up via the master volume: I thought this defeated the purpose of test tones and that it should have been 75db anyhow? I turned up the master volume to 0db and calibrated each speaker level from there. Have I got the right idea?

3/ I use the TV input for sound only (I have an optical and phono pair connected) but noticed that when I was selecting the TV input it was switching the TV over to the main HDMI port that the amp is connected to rather than leaving it as is: my previous Marantz didn't do this. I'm not able to use the amp until tomorrow now, but am I right in assuming I can get around this?

Thanks guys and here's to the Z7. If it gives me the kind of service my still in use Yamaha CDX550 CD player (circa 1992) has given me, I will be very happy!

NickEdin

1/ Is it possible to decide whether to process on a per-input (rather than per-connection type) basis? I'd like it to do the video processing on most of my sources but leave the Blu-ray exactly as is.

No, but the Yamaha does not re-process 1080/24p material at all as far as I'm aware.

2/ When I set the sound levels for each speaker I initially noticed the test tone was very low and needed to be turned up via the master volume: I thought this defeated the purpose of test tones and that it should have been 75db anyhow? I turned up the master volume to 0db and calibrated each speaker level from there. Have I got the right idea?

Yes

3/ I use the TV input for sound only (I have an optical and phono pair connected) but noticed that when I was selecting the TV input it was switching the TV over to the main HDMI port that the amp is connected to rather than leaving it as is: my previous Marantz didn't do this. I'm not able to use the amp until tomorrow now, but am I right in assuming I can get around this?

In HDMI settings on the Z7, you can set which HDMI output is used for HDMI control, so if you set it to the one that your TV is not connected to it should resolve this.

Regards,

Chris.

norliss

I suppose with the sound levels it's not so important what level it's been calibrated at, more that the levels are the same across all speakers.

Thanks for the pointers :)

Toxteth OGrady

When my input is BD I have video processing set to through (i.e. no processing) and when my input is Sat I have video processing set to Prep. These are saved as System Memory 1 and 2 respectively (along with a whole bunch of other per input settings). I just switch between the System Memory to achieve the effect the OP is after.

:cool:

TOG

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
When my input is BD I have video processing set to through (i.e. no processing) and when my input is Sat I have video processing set to Prep. These are saved as System Memory 1 and 2 respectively (along with a whole bunch of other per input settings). I just switch between the System Memory to achieve the effect the OP is after.

:cool:

TOG

Agreed, I do the same thing for speaker management. For watching movies I have all the speakers set to small in memory 1 and for multi-channel music like DVD-Audio and SACD playback I switch to memory 2 in which all the speakers are set to large.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom