Some questions about the Arcam Solo Music

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Old Bill, Aug 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Old Bill

Old Bill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I recently brought a Arcam Solo Music. It's a lovely system,. I Was wondering if anyone could help with a few questions about it.
    In my CD collection I have a few SACD and HDCD discs. I know is supports the SACD format. However when I put in a HDCD disc the screen changes to HDCD. Does anyone know if it supports this format and decodes the disc?
    There does not seem to be any tone controls on the system. However on the Musiclife app thre is a subwoofer option which changes the base trim. Is this the same as a tone control ?

2. JBA6

JBA6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Dear Old Bill,
    I'm also getting to know in my case a new Solo Movie 2.1. The Solo Music according to Arcam's specs is not able to decode HDCDs although they were supposed to be backwards compatible with standard CDs so they may play on some players. If they do play on your Solo it will be as a standard CD not as an HDCD. Microsoft, who own the HDCD standard, lost interest in it some years ago so it's effectively an obsolete standard.
    I don't use the MusicLife app with my Solo and can't find much info about it online so can't be absolutely sure about the function of the bass trim but I suspect it either adjusts the frequency at which your sub takes over from your stereo speakers or it adjusts the sub's volume with respect to the volume of your stereo speakers. It's definately not going to be a tone control in the traditional sense of the word. Arcams along with many other modern hifi components don't have tone controls.
    Regards, JB