1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some questions about sky+,standard sky and what the picture is like on a Viera plasma

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by GalacticaActual, Dec 13, 2004.

1. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Ok, I am thinking of getting into sky+.
    I ahve just a standard digibox at the moment with the family pack of about £19 per month.
    1)Will I have to get the whol package of about £40 per month in order to get it installed?
    2)how good is the actuall box its self? relability issues and recording quality?
    3) will the picture be any better than my pace digi box, I ask this because on my Viera plasma GB is very poor from the digi box with quite a bit of POSTORIZATION/SOLARIZATION? on peoples faces and backgrounds wich disapears when I switch the box to composite :eek: although i get a lot of the dot crawl cross colour interference if i use this method :confused:
    4) Is the svideo out option on a sky plus box through scart or through a four pin jack?
    5) does anyone think that svideo on the sky plus box may be the answer to the problem on peoples faces I have mentioned above?

Thanks in advace to anyone that can help. Sky really lets the side down when it comes to my otherwise good plasma so if I improve the picture in anyway I would be gratefull :)

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    1. If you don't subscribe to at least three premium channels, Sky will charge you £10 a month to use the Sky+ utilities.

2. The Sky+ box is a well designed unit. However, some people have reported problems with the Amstrad units which are now being shipped in preference to Pace.

3. These issues are more a problem caused by the individual broadcasters, and not the Sky system, so changing boxes is unlikley to resolve.

4. Both, as far as I'm aware.

5. No I don't.

3. brackenlamb

brackenlamb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    well i have the viera and sky + and watch it using rgb scart,it has a fantastic picture no dot crawl ,better than the svideo option.i think its just as good as dvd.on most channels

reliabilaty is great and have just upgraded the harddrive to 250gb with out problems.
    you get 2 scats on the back one is rgb the other not ,plus you get the svideo which i hooked up to my dvd recorder.

ps i have the pace version 2 :clap:

4. ROBERTT

ROBERTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi,

I have Pioneer 434HDE and the Sky+ (v1) pic can vary between good and almost unwatchable. Sky sports always looks good (including football) and the rugby in particular (lots of close up camera work) looks almost DVD quality. However have been disappointed in Movie channels quality. Flat, insipid and no detail! Maybe im being fussy but im not going to put up with it....im cancelling the movie channels and the BBC and ITV should be ashamed of themselves for the low bit rates used.........RUBBISH!!!....especially eastenders (PQ that is).

DVD via HDMI really brings home how poor the PQ on satellite is.....Roll on HI-DEF and Sky had better not balls that up.

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I've seen the flesh tones problem on my Benq projector too, so it's definitely a digital tv thing, and not a plasma thing.

6. srobbo999

srobbo999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I agree, I have a 100hz philips tv and the pixelation on the BBC is very bad. Its not just my Amstrad Sky+ either it was just as bad on my old Panasonic digi box :mad:

7. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,850
    You only need to subscribe to 2 Premium channels to get the Sky+ subscription for free

8. pezzer

pezzer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm using a Sky + V1 pace box with a Panasonic PW6 and would agree with most of the posts - I use the RGB Scart out to VGA on the plasma via a syncblaster cable ( many members recommend the JS technology version) and on same channels / broadcasts the video quality is excellent ( recently watched X Men " which was superb) while others it's poor ( Spanish football for eg!).

RGB or Component has got to be better than s-video and composite options.

There are lots of Shy offers around at the moment so I would check out their website . I also have a standard digibox with a 28'' widecreen crt tv which I connect via RGB Scart and the picture on this is generally excellent on all channels but then the 42'' plasma does show up more imperfections when they are present due to its size !

9. pezzer

pezzer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Apologies for my dreadful punctuation above !

10. dunbad

dunbad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys, I have just bought the 37" Viera Plasma which is connected to my Amstrad Sky + Box and a Sony DAVS 550 DVD system.

The Sky box is connected into AV1/RGB using a quality Scart lead and the picture is superb! and my DVD player kicks out a picture via component connection which is truly spectacular.

I never thought that a plasma would be as good a picture as mine is. I have seen quite a few of my mates and the PQ is not as good.

I must say that I have had Sky+ for 13 months now andhave previously had 4 Brand new Pace Sky+ boxes which have all failed for different reasons. I have had the Amstrad for 2 months and touch wood we have had no probs. In my veiw a much better unit which has much more ventilation slots all around the case keeping the box cool, the fan rarely kicks in.

Overall I Have had my Viera for 5 days and am so so pleased in every aspect. The sound quality from the Viera is out of this world.

Thanks

:clap:

11. sparkybun

sparkybun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    hi,

Recently did it for my in-laws and the cheapest is £30/month (or just pay the £10/month for SKY+ which then equals £29/month!) which gives you all of the SKY+ functinality. What they got for this was the £19/month family Pack + SKYSPORTS1. SKYSPORTS3 is then added as a bonus channel and also SKYMOVIES 2,4,6 & 8 are a bonus as well. This is also the package I just downgraded to a few days ago (but also then added Disney Channel for the little'un!).

Cheers

Mel

12. OSM009

OSM009

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 42 inch Viera, had it for over a month now, I was amazed at the quality when i connected it to my sky + box (pace v2). I have been connecting via a decent RGB scart.
    My Sky + box is over 12 months old now and i've not had any problems so far, I just taken delivery of a 250 gig hard drive yesterday for it!
    As for record quality I cant tell any difference from the standard broadcast. And I've recorded 5.1 films aswell with no noticeable differences.

13. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    You wouldn't expect any difference on Sky+ recordings. It records the stream directly with no modification.

14. OSM009

OSM009

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course MP4 I believe??