• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Some PS3 Questions...

McCraque

Am sure that these have probably been asked before time and time again, but am after a Bluray player and am considering the PS3. Reading recent reviews it would appear that the mags are now saying it can be beaten in terms of sound and picture by new additions to the specific BR player crowd.

However, if this is marginal, then I can live with it - from what I have seen they're not bad at all.

One other thing that could swing me to the ps3 is being able to play MP3s through it at a decent quality. One thing that annoys me about my Ipod is that my dock will Not give me a digital output. The best I can get is a line out analogue...which is ok, but not great.

will I be able to get a digital out to the amp through the optical lead (ie I want the amp to to the processing), and will this significantly up the sound quality of MP3's?

Thanks - and apologies if these questions are no brainers!

Avi

Distinguished Member
Am sure that these have probably been asked before time and time again, but am after a Bluray player and am considering the PS3. Reading recent reviews it would appear that the mags are now saying it can be beaten in terms of sound and picture by new additions to the specific BR player crowd.

However, if this is marginal, then I can live with it - from what I have seen they're not bad at all.

One other thing that could swing me to the ps3 is being able to play MP3s through it at a decent quality. One thing that annoys me about my Ipod is that my dock will Not give me a digital output. The best I can get is a line out analogue...which is ok, but not great.

will I be able to get a digital out to the amp through the optical lead (ie I want the amp to to the processing), and will this significantly up the sound quality of MP3's?

Based on my experience there is very little difference in Blu-ray PQ between any of the current players. What differences may exist are typically down to the settings and calibration. Some player may apply different amounts of edge/detail enhacement at their default setting and again people can percieve this as a benefit.

You can pass standard def Dolby Digital etc over optical but not the HD audio versions. These can only be output at multi channel PCM over HDMI. The PS3 does not supprt HD bitstream output so there is no way to enable AVR based decoding for HD audio. To do this you require a player that will support HD audio bitstream output. However, the PS3 will decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS MA codecs and output as multi channel HD quality PCM audio over HDMI to an AVR.

AVI

Last edited:

McCraque

Cheers Avi

I think 5.1 is fine for me anyway through the optical lead.

However - any ideas on my other question re MP3 playback through the PS3? Can I get the PS3 to output it in Digital, allowing the AVR to do the DAC?

syfodyas

Do you enjoy fan noise during your movies?

Are you interested in multiregion DVD playback?

These are questions you need to ask.

The PS3 is a very decent BD player, and while the newer stand alones produce a greater quality picture, somepeople dont notice the difference.

If you are into gaming, getting the PS3 is a no brainer.

If you are relying on the PS3s abilitys to act as a media center, be warned - its not on par with the likes of windows media center - its far too limited in terms of codec support, organisation of files, difficulty in accessing NAS devices etc...

If you are purely into movies, id suggest a standalone for the cash saving and slightly better picture alone.

Last edited:

syfodyas

oh dear. are the fans really that noisy?

its hit and miss. Some say they are, some say they arent. Either way, they are audible. Some say early PS3 models are better than newer ones (you are aware there have been several revsions of the PS3, right?)
I tested one against a standalone playing a quiet scene from bladerunner and it annoyed me, but to many it isnt even an issue.

McCraque

yeah - am aware of the different models. And have tried a couple of them for BR at friends houses.

Never noticed it before because all three of them house their PS3's in cabinets with closing fronts. So would be supressed. Mine would be sitting on an open alphason stand. So if there was a noise, no shielding.
And now I will be listening for it, that's going to annoy me even more! :eek:

Bald Monkey

Distinguished Member
If only all fans were as quiet.. ;)

Having said that mines pretty quiet. But there has certainly been mixed reports on here about the noise from the PS3 and other BR players. I personally doubt it'll be a big enough problem to affect your decision.

If sound is a real issue though look at the Sammy 1500, the first and only (IIRC) BR player without a single fan :smashin:

I would consider all the aspects you require from your player and choose one that meets them all, or at least most of them. Rather than trying to guess which one has better image quality from the mixed reviews on here. IMHO the very large number of mixed reports just shows how close these players must all be in terms of PQ.

:smashin:

Last edited:

Richard

Distinguished Member
My 40gb is silent when watching blu rays. There is a slight noice when upscaling a SD dvd though. Nothing annoying though.

The only time I did hear the fan significantly was when it lived inside my tv cabinet. It wasn't getting enough ventilation and sounded like it was going to take off.

Avi

Distinguished Member
The PS3 is a very decent BD player, and while the newer stand alones produce a greater quality picture, somepeople dont notice the difference.

Do you have any objective examples to show this ?

I noticed you didn't answer any of the questions I asked about how you calibrated the unit in the thread that is now locked. Is there a reason you will not answer ?

As I said in the other thread without understand settings/calibration it's analagous to a person testing two cars and in the first car the seat happens to be adjusted to their height/reach and the radio is tuned to their favourite station. But in the second car the seat is set way too far back and the radio is tuned to a station they don't like. Because of this the person claims the first car is better. Sounds crazy yet if you understand the difference settings and calibration can make that's how "crazy" it can appear when looking at some of the claims about how different products perform i.e. better blacks, flesh tones etc.

AVI

Last edited:

syfodyas

I noticed you didn't answer any of the questions I asked about how you calibrated the unit in the thread that is now locked. Is there a reason you will not answer ?

As I said in the other thread without understand settings/calibration it's analagous to a person testing two cars and in the first car the seat happens to be adjusted to their height/reach and the radio is tuned to their favourite station. But in the second car the seat is set way too far back and the radio is tuned to a station they don't like. Because of this the person claims the first car is better. Sounds crazy yet if you understand the difference settings and calibration can make that's how "crazy" it can appear when looking at some of the claims about how different products perform i.e. better blacks, flesh tones etc.

AVI

Examples of what? many of the new players are superior, some arent. I havent tested each and every one. You seem to find it hard to fathom that the PS3 can be beaten in terms of performance.
The test I witnessed was between a PS3 and BDP-S350 connected to the same Sony Bravia HDTV. It was in a controlled environment and I believe the TV was caliberated to DVE BD disc. The same TV was connected to both players.
The blacks I talked about were in blade runner (have you seen the film? - very murky full of shadow) - I noticed more detailed blacks with the BDP 350 and a sharper picture. I have mentioned before that I also used Bladerunner (which can be very quiet in places) to test the sound, and thats where the fan noise of the PS3 hit me.
I know Bladerunner isnt considered definative reference material, but it was a personal choice as it is one of my favourite films, a beautifully shot film that I am very familiar with.
Of course my views are subjective, so take them as you will

Rsaeire

AVI

Avi, I think that is a really good analogy. It does depend on how you have calibrated your TV/projector and Blu-ray/DVD/HD-DVD player etc as all devices, as we all know, are not made equal.

I for one can vouch for calibration settings making a world of difference as I witnessed it first-hand on my 32W4000 when I first upscaled Spiderman on DVD. I witnessed noisy, badly coloured and overall awful picture quality... until I calibrated the TV's picture settings. Once I finished I was honestly amazed at how a few small changes could make such a big difference. Now, it wasn't HD quality, but the difference in quality was big enough to make an impression on my opinion of how a good calibration can improve picture quality.

syfodyas

Reading some replies and I think with PS3 there are two key things to consider..

1) What revision of the PS3 you purchase (different ones are bulit from different components and can affect performance)

and

2) Where you will be placing your PS3. This can have an impact on heat generated and fan noise. If its home isnt well ventilated then it can get noisy.

Ralphy1981

I really don't get what people are on about with the PS3's fan noise?? :confused:

My 40gb is silent! You can't even tell it's on.

Rsaeire

I really don't get what people are on about with the PS3's fan noise?? :confused:

My 40gb is silent! You can't even tell it's on.

It's because some people have issues with the fan noise as either their PS3 is too loud in general, or they find the sound, which may be as loud/quiet as your own, to be too loud.

Ralphy1981

They must differ alot between models then because my PS3 is silent as a mouse.

Avi

Distinguished Member
Examples of what? many of the new players are superior, some arent. I havent tested each and every one. You seem to find it hard to fathom that the PS3 can be beaten in terms of performance.
The test I witnessed was between a PS3 and BDP-S350 connected to the same Sony Bravia HDTV. It was in a controlled environment and I believe the TV was caliberated to DVE BD disc. The same TV was connected to both players.
The blacks I talked about were in blade runner (have you seen the film? - very murky full of shadow) - I noticed more detailed blacks with the BDP 350 and a sharper picture. I have mentioned before that I also used Bladerunner (which can be very quiet in places) to test the sound, and thats where the fan noise of the PS3 hit me.
I know Bladerunner isnt considered definative reference material, but it was a personal choice as it is one of my favourite films, a beautifully shot film that I am very familiar with.
Of course my views are subjective, so take them as you will

I have no difficulty fathoming any product can perform better. It's just difficult when people don't appear to understand what is a product difference and what may be simply due to adjustment. :suicide:

Yes I have Blade Runner from when it was first released on HD. :)

Fan noise isn't an issue for me as the equipment is housed and can't been seen or heard. So for me what it looks like and if it has a fan really isn't high on my list of priorities but I undertstand people may have different priorities.

The point you appear to be missing is settings and calibration between different sources i.e. players can make a difference even attached to the same display. Things like how much detail you see in low APL scenes, how colour is decoded i.e. flesh tones e and general colour accuracy, contrast levels, gamma etc, etc.

Without understanding these and other elements it's just subjective opinon that "car A is better" to continue the earlier anology but it isn't an objective comparison. ;)

AVI

Last edited:

Avi

Distinguished Member
but the difference in quality was big enough to make an impression on my opinion of how a good calibration can improve picture quality.

And that's the point. I wonder how many people buy a product and expect to just plug it in and it will be set for optimum performance ?

I think it's one of the reasons we such polarised product feedback:(

AVI

Rsaeire

And that's the point. I wonder how many people buy a product and expect to just plug it in and it will be set for optimum performance ?

I think it's one of the reasons we such polarised product feedback:(

AVI

I agree. There is definitely a question, regarding some people's opinions, as to whether they fall into the category of "you should have calibrated your display first" before a complaint is made about a product.

With regard to comments made relating to the Blu-ray picture quality between the PS3 and other Blu-ray players. Isn't there an option within the PS3 picture settings that if enabled crushes blacks? Wouldn't a PS3 need to have this option changed for it to have comparable, if not almost the exact same, performance when compared to other Blu-ray players?

IIRC it is the RGB option or something similar. This may put to rest some of the PS3 vs. S350 comments. ;)

paulst10

Distinguished Member
IIRC it is the RGB option or something similar. This may put to rest some of the PS3 vs. S350 comments. ;)

That only applies to games & the XMB menu :( BD & DVD playback should not be affected by RGB settings :)

Avi

Distinguished Member
IWith regard to comments made relating to the Blu-ray picture quality between the PS3 and other Blu-ray players. Isn't there an option within the PS3 picture settings that if enabled crushes blacks? Wouldn't a PS3 need to have this option changed for it to have comparable, if not almost the exact same, performance when compared to other Blu-ray players?

The PS3 has options for RBG or YCbCr 4:4:4 colour signal types. It also has HDMI video and PC signal level under the "limited/full range" RGB setting. It will clip unless YCC colour is used and superwhite is enabled. For Blu-ray movies the optimum HDMI signal level setting is RGB limited.

Some Blu-ray player output YCbCr 4:2:2 at default and this requires more processing at the display to convert the sub sampled colour signal. Depending on the display and its calibration this may look different to a YCbCr 4:4:4 or RGB signal that doesn't require processing to the same degree at the display. Also if the player/display HDMI signal level is mismatched it will affect PQ i.e. crushed or elivated black levels.

But even simple things like setting the correct black level i.e. brightness and white level i.e. contrast make a difference. Again if set incorrectly detail can be crushed at either end of the scale and/or noise exaggerated.

I suspect some people believe some products look better because they just happen to have settings that are a better match for their display setting i.e. the car seat/radio analogy.

AVI

Last edited:
D

Deccy J

I have a PAL 40gb PS3 (now upgraded to 320gb)
When I first got it I couldn't hear a thing while playing a Blu ray, but as I store it vertically, I think over time dust etc has created noise. That's my personal view, but I prided the PS3 and its silence when playing games/movies and one day I put in Batman Begins & was absolutely shocked to hear a bit of fan noise. :mad:

Although the fan is NOWHERE NEAR the extremes of the 360.

If I were to give anyone advice, it would probably be to store the PS3 horizontally to aid in preventing dust from entering

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom