1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some potentially silly questions!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jtorry, Dec 28, 2002.

1. jtorry

jtorry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Right. Here are a few questions I have about projectors that may be obvious to some, but I just want to clarify things.

1. All my CRT TV's have suffered from image persistence/light smears. This happens when a light moves across the screen or when a lit face moves into darkness. Would a LCD projector have this problem (Sanyo PLV-Z1 in particular)?

2. When a film is true widescreen and has black borders, are these black borders part of the projected image?

3. All the screens I have seen have a black frame. As i am making my screen, would a wooden frame painted with Balckboard paint do the job?

4. What is the optimal height for a screen to be at in relation to head height?

Feel free to laugh at me stupidity, but any help will be great. Thanks.

2. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    Cant answer cos not sure what you mean.

Yes. Because the pannel is 16:9 so the DVD has black borders encoded in it to fill the screan, which the projector the displays.

Yes. Blackboard paint will do the job, the reason for the black boarder is to absorb any extra light from keystone correction etc.

Thats subjective and depends on the user. Experiment with the PJ on a white wall untill you find a postion that is comfortable for you, then mount you screan accordingly

3. jtorry

jtorry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What i am trying to say is that on my CRT's i moving lights leave trails behind them. Eg. A street light will leave a line of light behind it as the camera pans across the screen.

4. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    Have not seen that on my PJ but then can't recall seeing it on a CRT so maybe its something I'm not sensitive to.

5. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,741
    jtorry I know what you mean, and no, you won't find that to be a problem on the Z1 (or any projector as far as I know).

6. Insp.Gadget

Insp.Gadget

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    While we're on the subject of some potentially silly questions :clown: , can someone answer a question I have - where would you position the HS10 in order to have no keystone correction whatsoever (either horizontal or vertical) - lens exactly in the centre of the projected image, or is the throw on projectors angled so that they are best for ceiling mounting ?

Apologies for the noob question !!

Jtorry, in answer to your 4th question, I have read in a few places that ideally your eye-line should be a third of the way up the screen, but I expect personal pref is what counts at the end of the day.

7. Harb

Harb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Smearing you are refering to is caused by Phosfor Persistance or Lag.
    As LCD projectors don't use Phosfor,....you don't have the problem.

Cheers
    John

8. jtorry

jtorry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks. That is what i wanted to hear.

9. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Insp.Gadget:

I think it will be like most other PJ's in that near the bottom or top if inverted are the best positons. Has for keystone just make sure your PJ is dead square to the screen, this is harder than you think and can take quite a bit of fiddling making very small adjustments to the position of your PJ.