Some pictures of your recent purchases

deans6571

Apple TV 4K. I got a Samsung TV not long ago, but the 'smart' functions are pitiful.

...I have to disagree!!!

The Smart functions should include all the usual suspects like; Netflix, iPlayer, ITV Hub, Disney Plus, Ch 4, 5, Youtube plus tons of other apps - well, at least my Samsung has these.....!

KyleS1

Distinguished Member

aVdub

Distinguished Member
...I have to disagree!!!

The Smart functions should include all the usual suspects like; Netflix, iPlayer, ITV Hub, Disney Plus, Ch 4, 5, Youtube plus tons of other apps - well, at least my Samsung has these.....!
Or with a Smart home the command is Netflix on or Amazon on.

LG TV with Harmony + Amazon house.

Doug the D

...I have to disagree!!!

Disagree all you want mate. I've used the Tizen OS on my TV for months and it's buggy, slow and unreliable.
I've used Apple TV over the weekend and it's a breath of fresh air. Very fast, slick, looks amazing and has all of the same TV streaming apps you mention.

My complaint about the Samsung smart tv OS was not about it having the content I need, it does. It just does a godawful job of delivering it well.

Qactuar

Distinguished Member
Disagree all you want mate. I've used the Tizen OS on my TV for months and it's buggy, slow and unreliable.
I've used Apple TV over the weekend and it's a breath of fresh air. Very fast, slick, looks amazing and has all of the same TV streaming apps you mention.

My complaint about the Samsung smart tv OS was not about it having the content I need, it does. It just does a godawful job of delivering it well.
My Philips TV has Android TV as standard. Is gash. Slow and sluggish as hell. They are so stingy with the RAM on TVs at times.

My Samsung with built in apps is marginally quicker but the best device we have is Firestick 4K (original is slow).

IronGiant

Very nice. Do you have a link by any chance? My light/fan, which was the same as your old one, is starting to struggle on startup, but we suffer with headroom as we have quite low ceilings (it was the main reason behind choosing the original one we did)
Sure, it was this one:
42in-1

ruffage

Distinguished Member

I have a Samsung UE50RU7400 in the bedroom and its smart apps and GUI are very fast and reliable. Even has a Synology app for streaming films from the NAS, and it's not struggled with any codecs yet.

Inked

Distinguished Member
I’d really like to get my Harmony Hub working with HomeKit, and an Amazon smart plug I’ve got upstairs. How simple is it? I’ve had a brief look online and still not really any the wiser.

If nothing else, your post informed me I can change the icons for lamps etc in the Home app. I had absolutely no idea.
You can get the harmony hub added to HomeKit by using HomeBridge running on a Raspberry Pi (or in my case on a Mac).
I’ve just got my Harmony stuff set up with Yonomi and the Apple shortcuts app to create Siri Shortcuts instead.

I would think you may be able to get the smart plug running with HomeKit using homebridge but it’s not something I’ve done (I use IKEA tradfri smart plugs which are HomeKit and Alexa compatible)

Flashy

You can get the harmony hub added to HomeKit by using HomeBridge running on a Raspberry Pi (or in my case on a Mac).
I’ve just got my Harmony stuff set up with Yonomi and the Apple shortcuts app to create Siri Shortcuts instead.

I would think you may be able to get the smart plug running with HomeKit using homebridge but it’s not something I’ve done (I use IKEA tradfri smart plugs which are HomeKit and Alexa compatible)
I’m torn between giving it a go on the Mac and getting a Raspberry Pi. The Mac is generally on 24/7 but not absolutely always. With a RPi I could plug it in and forget about it as it wouldn’t be doing anything else. And, more importantly, I’ve always fancied getting one to have a play with.

jouster

jouster

...I have to disagree!!!

I don’t think it’s that TVs don’t have the relevant apps, more that unless your TV isn’t a very recent model, the apps just aren’t very fast or updated very often if at all.
Of course if you’re tv is a recent node there should be no reason at all to need a media streamer of any sort but I’d always choose to have one as they tend to get updates more often and they have apps that 99% of TVs just don’t support.

Doug the D

I don’t think it’s that TVs don’t have the relevant apps, more that unless your TV isn’t a very recent model, the apps just aren’t very fast or updated very often if at all.
Of course if you’re tv is a recent node there should be no reason at all to need a media streamer of any sort but I’d always choose to have one as they tend to get updates more often and they have apps that 99% of TVs just don’t support.
My tv is brand new. I know it's not the best model available (it's a 7 series Samsung), but I still expect the apps to work without stuttering, taking ages to open etc...I always assumed that some apps were just down the to provider - Now TV for example was terrible on both the Xbox and on the TV app. On the Apple TV though? Rapid, looks very crisp in comparison and is just very slick.

But then, this Apple TV experience exactly mirrors my experience of Apple vs. Samsung phones. I don't wish to start a fanboy war, but personally speaking, having owned the flagship devices of both manufacturers I much prefer Apple.

'It just works' is something that Apple users have said for years - it's true, it does :)

jouster

My tv is brand new. I know it's not the best model available (it's a 7 series Samsung), but I still expect the apps to work without stuttering, taking ages to open etc...I always assumed that some apps were just down the to provider - Now TV for example was terrible on both the Xbox and on the TV app. On the Apple TV though? Rapid, looks very crisp in comparison and is just very slick.

But then, this Apple TV experience exactly mirrors my experience of Apple vs. Samsung phones. I don't wish to start a fanboy war, but personally speaking, having owned the flagship devices of both manufacturers I much prefer Apple.

'It just works' is something that Apple users have said for years - it's true, it does :)
I’d certainly agree with you on this. I’ve used plenty of Android streaming STBs and they’ve been fine...but that’s it. Just fine. Now I know the Shield is meant to be fantastic but it should be for what it’s costs...and I certainly believe it’s right up there with the ATV4K but as someone who has an Apple household, it just makes sense for ME.

plus right now I’m using my Kuro Plasma still as my main viewing TV so HAVE to have a decent streamer for Plex, Streaming services and Infuse - is always choose to use whatever works BEST for ME.

all of my other TVs are older too so again ATVs connected.
That said I would certainly expect a 2019 or 2020 TV to work well but would always have a backup option as a lot of TVs regardless off age, cost or model, don’t always have every app available to them

jouster

aVdub

Distinguished Member
a cain whip to tighten a bottom bracket?
Yes, very simple and did the job just fine, with the teeth fitting around the cups very well with no damage at all.

I dropped today and checked with the correct tool and no adjustment was needed and I got to try out a day before the tool arrived ;)

Bushman

Finally had time to install the Ring Alarm purchased a couple of weeks ago. Brilliant bit of kit, easy to install, the fixings for the PIR sensors are far better than the single long screen half hanging out of the corner of the wall the ADT one used.

Incredibly loud internal siren (though it doesn’t thump your entire body the way the ADT one did) and I have it set to turn all the downstairs hue lights to red when it sounds.

Notifications are great, and it has integrated well into HomeKit via homebridge.

I just need to decide where to put the base station (siren) and whether I’m leaving it plugged in or on battery power.

(excuse the filler, will be sanding and painting it tomorrow)
View attachment 1325590
I like the idea of that, did you get a good deal on it?

I wanted to go full Nest system to match my nest thermostat and smoke alarms but the ring alarm system looks much better than the nest system.

Tempest

Distinguished Member
Not saying anything.......
Photo's will be forthcoming at some future date: