1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some pics of my HTPC in action....

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by zAndy1, Feb 17, 2005.

1. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,512
    In the 'hcpc build help' thread ( http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189409 ) in case anyone is interested. The pics haven't come out very well to be honest but it was the first time I've used my new Panny FZ3 camera that I got from photo optix for £199 so I'm still learning how to get the best out of it!

Cheers,
    Andy.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Tell me, how does TheaterTek fit in? I know it runs as a separate app, does it get activated by the Media Player app. when you select from 'My Movies'.

3. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,512
    No, you have to close (or minimise) MCE, you can set Theatertek to be the default dvd player so it will start automatically when a dvd is inserted. From within MCE though, if you click on a movie in the my movies section it will play in MCE. To be honest since I installed Theatertek the dvd playback in MCE seems to have improved significantly, I haven't got a clue why but it has!

Cheers,
    Andy.

4. gpender

gpender
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can any DVD players work within MCE or is it stuck on it's own? Will that ever change?

The "My Movie" bit looks ace :smashin: but if you've got to close it down each time to use TT then what's the point....surely you are better of struggling on in the mindfield that is frontends?

I guess your saying MCE's own player is suitable? And I'm sure it's easy enough to use and stable? How well does it intergrate with a touchscreen? Anyone doing that at home?

P.S nice post, it's good that you took time to take and post all the pictures :thumbsup:

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'd seen you post that TT was better than MCE, didn't know that MCE had improved .. strange .. so I presume you're now back using MCE then.

6. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,512
    If I'm watching a dvd I'll use Theatertek, simply cos it's possible to use FFDShow with that and it does therefore look better than playback in MCE. For stuff in My Movies the MCE playback is fine, to be honest I think that must be using FFDshow for the xvid stuff cos I haven't got another xvid decoder on my system.

Cheers
    Andy

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    FFDSHOW tends to get used even when you don't think it is, on my system Media Player Classic gets to use it even though I've never configured it . at times FFD is a bit of a parasite. :)

8. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    It does look quite nice, and i thought that my picture icons in XP looked good.

As for MCE improving i wonder if the hcpc in some way is defaulting to the nvidia codecs in TT, no matter what dvd player front end?

9. sean.pittaway

sean.pittaway
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    what question?

ill get my coat :)

10. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    You need to look at the HCPC Build Help thread here

11. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    As I understood it Andy had bought the nVidia codecs separately to start with and had been using those in MCE before getting TT.

The only thing I can think of is that TT's installer creates more registry settings for the codec which work better than the defaults set by the codecs' installer.

As for defaulting, the codec system is typical of M$, complex, convulted and impenetrable to the unititated, but put simply each codec is given a 'preference' value so that id the player doesn't try to us a specific codec .. as does TT by internal hard-coding and ZP by user configuration .. the video and audio codecs with the highest 'preference' values are chosen. Somewhere on ZP's site I think is a utility that allows you to edit these values.

If you want to indulge in some techno-masochism take a read of this. :rolleyes: