1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

some photoshop help if you please...

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by mr jones, Sep 11, 2005.

1. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    hey hey

my photoshop skills for things more creative things are very poor,

what i need want to do is (see photos below) i want to knock the image to black and white but with the 2 girls still coloured in, so im asuming i need to mask it, can somoone fill me in on how to do this as i cant get the masks to work at all.

im using photoshop 7

[​IMG]

also do you recon the closer landscape crop of the image works better than the wider view, or does it loose too much of the background, however it does bring the girls smiles into the view.

[​IMG]

your help would be most appreciated

thank you

jamie

2. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    the crop is better for me,

Desturate using the channel mixer and then use history brush to recover the colour.

would have a go, but im creamcrackered and so off to bed

3. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't help with the PS but the crop is the way to go. The original is too much landscape.

4. nokiauk

nokiauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    not a lot of colour to play with but had a go if you provided the cropped one in colour would be easier and would also result in a better picture anyway.

5. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    how did you do it?

cheers

jamie

6. nokiauk

nokiauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    1. Bring the image into photoshop
    2. Go to the layer menu and select duplicate layer
    3. Go to the image menu, select adjustments, desaturate layer.
    4. You can then mask and delete the relevant part of the B&W layer to reveal the colour layer underneath or simply use the eraser tool to remove the B&W layer also revealing the colour underneath.

7. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    bingo! my memory has been refreshed as to how i did it last time!

thanks alot!!!!!

jamie

8. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +434
    I did it a different way. I selected the parts that you wanted to be b/w with the freehand tool and clicked on the colourize button in the colours menu (using paint shop pro mind).

Attached Files:

9. senu

senu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,865
    I used elements opened your image and duplicated the background layer 2ice .
    I desaturated the lower layer
    On the uppermost layer then selected by freehand, each of the girls and used : new layer via cut on each girl separately
    I then deselected thier original ( fully coloured layer) by unticking the eye icon:
    Im sure it will work the same in photoshop as the interface and commands are simlilar :)

Oh.. the crop is much better

10. captain chunk

captain chunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    or just desaturate the image then colour back in the bits you want with the history brush (seems a lot easier).

11. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    i work everything as layers so i dont alter the original image at all and can go back and delete/edit a layer as i wish later on, thus i cant really do as you suggested, but i assume it works as well

12. longleyc

longleyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mr Jones.

Heres a method with gives you much more control. You`re an accomplished photographer; a bit more control to your images is a nice thing!

Open the image and crop to the desired areas. If intending to print, I like to keep in mind the 3:2 ratio rather than an odd or 4:3 ratio. If this is the case, set a 2:3 ratio dimension in the Crop dialogue box.
    Then do a Levels or Curves adjustment to set contrast of the image to your liking.

So you you have cropped. You lost pixels. You might want to add some sharpness back.
    Copy the layer. Then Filters/Other/High Pass.
    In the requester box you will see a large grey box. Increase the value UNTIL you start to see outlines and colour coming through. This is optimum. High Pass sharpens without the haloing introduced by aggressive UnSharp Masking.
    Then set the copy layers blend mode to Soft Light or Overlay.
    Its a good method and the least complicated. (If youre really keen, I got some real fancy sharpening methods which work great)
    Flatten the image.
    Sharpening is done best last, usually. You can do it now or last but you cant do it on a copy of the Channel Mixer layer. Have to flatten it first.

Then open up the Layers/New Adjustment Layer/Channel Mixer menu.
    Select Monochromatic. You will see the 3 slider bars of Red Green and Blue. All of these combined values of RGB, SHOULD equal 100%, but a few percent under or over doesnt matter.
    You can see that this offers you complete control of how you wish to have the RGB greyscale values in your image. After all, it started out as a colour RGB image and you might want to interpret your own greyscales by using the RGB sliders. For example, try 80% Red 15% Green and 5% Blue. You can mix as much as you like but be aware of the 100% mix ratio.
    *Note that the Blue channel is where most noise is present in CCD/RGB images, so be careful with the Blue channel. You can use a negative value here too.
    (Desaturate is a blunt tool for Greyscale imaging. It just converts to a RGB greyscale palette. With the Monochromatic Channel Mixer you can have full control of the RGB mix!)

You will notice that after you OK your choosen settings, The Layers box shows the adjustment layer and a nice layer mask included! Just select the layer mask icon, make sure black is selected in the colour palette, and draw back in the colour using the Paintbrush tool.
    You can even set the colour palette to Greyscale, i.e Mid Grey. This gives you the added benefit of control over how much you wish to paint back the mask to reveal underneath!! Black = Removes all Mask, White = Removes no Mask and Mid Grey would remove 50% of the Mask. (Assuming your mask is set to Hide/White).
    See what im getting at? By using my method you have complete control over the pixel values at any stage.
    With Adjustment layers, they do exactly that. At any time, just click the adjustment layer and redefine the values if not happy.
    Sure beats History features imho.

Now this above technique is quite fast really and it gets results.
    I see no point in having £500 software and turning it into a 1-click cure all. aka Filters.

Just one thing. I expect you know this, but always shoot colour then convert to BW etc. A lot of cameras shoot BW in 8 bit mode.
    Do the maths.........thats 256 greyscales. Not 24 bit RGB. Just examne any colour shot to an identical BW in camera one. The filesize is tiny compared to colour............cos its recorded in 8 bit.

I used Channel Mixer/ Masking on this image.

Attached Files:

13. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    always shoot in raw anyway :smashin: ]

cheers, i shall print out your instructions and have a play tomorrow, ive been having a day off today, woop!

when i say day off, i mean ive been photos for something else and getting annoyed with fuel protests and panic buying!