Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

some photoshop advice please

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by beachy, Oct 20, 2005.

1. beachy

beachy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    hi,

can someone please help,i recently purchased a copy of photoshop elements from ebay,unfortunately it never came with an instruction manual,and as a total novice to dig photography i am finding it to say the least baffling, :suicide: my question is,can i get a step by step instruction manual from anywhere else,i have also seen a book called "photoshop elements for dummies" if i can,t get a manual do you think this would help.

i would be eternally gratefull for your thoughts and advice,cheers guys. :thumbsup:

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,327
    I posted this http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254647 a couple of days ago.
    Are you in the UK?
    Is the CD "Kosher"?

The "Dummies" book would probably tell you all you need to know...they are generally of a high standard IMHO.

3. beachy

beachy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    hi,

yes i am in the uk,this is my first post as i have just joined the forum and i am a total novice in digital photography so i thought this would be a good way of getting tips and advice,unfortunately the cd i received was a copy,i guess this can be one of the pitfalls of buying from ebay,i guess it must be the first version of "photoshop elements" as thats all it says when i downloaded it and the dates on it where 1989-2001,i will certainly go for the dummies book as i have heard good reports about those books before,also what about digital photography for dummies,do you think that might help as well ? anyway thanks for your thoughts,and if anyone else has got anything to add to jaycee's comments it would be appreciated.

cheers guys :smashin:

4. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,971
    I know you just bought elements,but you might want to take a look at a free programme from google called picasa its downloadable from here http://picasa.google.com/index.html.

I use this progamme and find it intuitive and very easy to use,a few clicks of your mouse can dramatically improve your photo's.Not sure how it compares with earlier versions of elements but as it's free you also get the upgrades for free.

Take a look at it I am sure you won't be disapointed as it's free and you have nothing to loose.

5. beachy

beachy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    thanks keith,

yes i had already downloaded that program and after playing around with it for a while it is quite good,but obviously quite limited i really want to learn how to do layers and change precise colours ie funiture clothing etc,hence thats why i'm anxious to get started on the photoshop elements,unless of course i am using the picaso wrong and you can do things like changing precise colours on it,anymore imfo would be appreciated.

cheers guys. :smashin:

6. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,971
    Do you have picasa 2 or 1,its more sophisticated than the original picasa and it has quite a few extra features.However whilst it has basic fixes+tunning & effects it cannot do layers and change precise colours.for that you need photoshop or similar programme which you have already.

If I need to do more advanced stuff I use Photo Impact but when I just need a few basic tweeks(which is most of the time) I find it easier and quicker to use Picasa.

7. beachy

beachy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    yes keith it is picaso version 2,i only downloaded it in the last couple of days so i have been having a play around with it today,i must say for a free download i'm very impressed with some of the results you can achieve with it,i have quite a few pics taken with a cheap point and shoot 35mm i had on hols last year which were not that good,but this program has added some life to them,so now i have a digital cam i am looking forward to the effects i can get with that,hopefully i will get the manual for the photoshop before to long,and can progress from there,thanks very much for the imfo.

regards,

beachy :smashin:

8. senu

senu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Photoshop Elements is now on version 4! : Version 3 is old hat :)
    (Just kidding ) I have APE 3 and after 14 months have not yet used it to full potential so far APE4 is not tempting. There are quite a few more interesting books on Elements than the "Dummies" and there is online help

http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com/videotips/#

If you really (really )want the manual I can e-mail it to you as a pdf file. It is 4.7megabytes though.
    iF you pm me with details you will get it as quicky as the internet will allow :clap:
    Senu

9. Fusspot

Fusspot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like you I'm a total novice and I also bought Photoshop Elements 3 and found that I needed a 'how to' manual. After seeking lots of advice and doing cosiderable reseach on what was the best manual I purchased - Photoshop Elements 3 The Missing Manual by Barbara Brundage. Not cheap - nearly $70 Australian dollars - but I TOTALLY recommend it. Also on the Adobe web site is a forum, which as a novice, I had found very useful. My "stupid" questions have been answered in a spirit of co-operation and helpfulness by more experienced forum members. Hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    Fusspot
    PS I had a look at the 'dummies' manual - not in the same league as the Missing Manual is my opinion. The Missing Manual basically assumes you know nothing - where I don't think that is the case with the 'dummies' manual. Just my 2 cents worth ............

10. beachy

beachy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    cheers guys for all your comments,i have taken a look at the elements missing manual on amazon and it looks just the job so i will certainly be ordering a copy,although i have just won the dummies book on ebay i had been bidding on before i seen the missing manual,after looking at the missing manual i was hope'ing i might be outbid on the dummies book but it was to late i already won so had to pay,still i got it for £3.20 so i suppose always worth having,also had a brief look at the website senu recommended it looks very good too,so i will be looking at that intensely over the weekend,so thanks very much guys for all your help.

regards,

beachy. :thumbsup: