Some people really just don't get it...

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Solutions
Reaction score
I went (on my own) to do our family weekly shop in Asda this lunchtime. As a family we take all the precautions, only one of us goes, only shopping once every week or so, hand washing, hand sanitizer, keeping our distance from shoppers and staff etc. but the number of elderly people wandering around with a daughter, son or carer helping them shop was just jaw dropping.

Now, if you have no one to shop for you, no access to the internet or are still reasonably fit and healthy, you have a reasonable excuse, but if as was extremely evident, there is someone to care for you, what the hell are you doing out of the house?

I appreciate that for many, the shopping trip is a highlight of the week, but we are all making sacrifices here. Even if they sat in the car while their carer shopped it would be 100x safer for them.

How do we get the message across?

I went (on my own) to do our family weekly shop in Asda this lunchtime. As a family we take all the precautions, only one of us goes, only shopping once every week or so, hand washing, hand sanitizer, keeping our distance from shoppers and staff etc. but the number of elderly people wandering around with a daughter, son or carer helping them shop was just jaw dropping.

Now, if you have no one to shop for you, no access to the internet or are still reasonably fit and healthy, you have a reasonable excuse, but if as was extremely evident, there is someone to care for you, what the hell are you doing out of the house?

I appreciate that for many, the shopping trip is a highlight of the week, but we are all making sacrifices here. Even if they sat in the car while their carer shopped it would be 100x safer for them.

You don't. People are stupid. Just keep doing what you're doing to keep yourself and your own safe.

You can't

I have quite a few elderly neighbours. A couple of them are just carrying on as normal, having friends and family around, going to the shops every few days.
One of them thinks it's all nothing and just politics and as all being big "scaredys" of the flu. So there's no talking to him.
The other is of the opinion she's 88 and if it's her time, it's her time. If you ask about the other people she might spread it to or that she might take up a valuable hospital bed from someone who doesn't have the same outlook then she just gets shirty.

At this point in time, the message is loud and clear for elderly people, vulnerable adults and their advice to self isolate.

If they aren't complying, then I can't see what else we can do as they're the ones we're primarily trying to protect first.

Issues with youger generations, those who are self employed, those working when their work is not essential, younger adults hedging their bets.. There is still room to change their opinions and they will change as more younger people die.

But with the elderly people, the precedent is already set and the consequences are already very visible. I'm lost for words on what we can do to resolve a son who decided to take out his elderly frail dad to the supermarket rather than go by himself. Maybe they're both vulnerable adults and going together? Otherwise I have no idea.

Let just say,there are some really STUPID people out their,who just don't care about anyone but themselves :mad:

Agreed but there's no point getting angry about it. There's nothing you can do. Deep breathe and carry on doing what you can to keep safe.

Sorry I seem to be missing your point, I live on my own (66) I have no one to shop for me, not a clue what you mean by the internet as what i need and the waiting times for a delivery slot just do not make sense.
I went for the first time in two weeks and I suspect the next time will be again in a fortnight, I wore a mask even with my oral issues and surgical gloves in the store what message am I missing?

I the store I was in there were plenty of people of all ages not just the elderly in fact they were in a minority.

Sorry I seem to be missing your point, I live on my own (66) I have no one to shop for me, not a clue what you mean by the internet as what i need and the waiting times for a delivery slot just do not make sense.
I went for the first time in two weeks and I suspect the next time will be again in a fortnight, I wore a mask even with my oral issues and surgical gloves in the store what message am I missing?

I the store I was in there were plenty of people of all ages not just the elderly in fact they were in a minority.
No issue at all there - except that unless you are changing your gloves and mask as you enter and leave the shop they are doing basically nothing, you would be better with hand sanitizer.

My mother is in the same position in that she lives alone and none of us are close enough to her to do her shopping. Sainsburys have given her some priority slots, so she does a "big" shop every few weeks online and uses 2 local shops who deliver to her for her fresh stuff. It can be done.

My point is where elderly WITH good support are still shopping in large supermarkets rather than giving the list to the carer and continuing to isolate.

Maybe the security at the door should turn them away - or at least give them some firm advice...

No issue at all there - except that unless you are changing your gloves and mask as you enter and leave the shop they are doing basically nothing, you would be better with hand sanitizer.

My mother is in the same position in that she lives alone and none of us are close enough to her to do her shopping. Sainsburys have given her some priority slots, so she does a "big" shop every few weeks online and uses 2 local shops who deliver to her for her fresh stuff. It can be done.

My point is where elderly WITH good support are still shopping in large supermarkets rather than giving the list to the carer and continuing to isolate.

Maybe the security at the door should turn them away - or at least give them some firm advice...
I do not need gloves or mask to walk to and from the supermarket as there is no close contact with people?
How do you know that the elderly you saw, and you seem to be singling them out for some inexplicable reason, have good support?

Because the support was with them in the shop, helping them to do their shopping.

I think a lot of us older people full get it thanks, the message is clear don't bother the NHS, stay in your homes and just die without being a nuisance.

I was queuing for aldi the other day and the re was a man in front of me mid 50's and then a woman and her daughter about 10 walking past and recognised the man maybe uncle or something and the little girl ran over and he started hugging her! Then stood with their arms around each other whilst he chatted to her mam for a couple of minuites.

No discouragement from either the man or the mother to explain to the daughter about keeping apart.

I think a lot of us older people full get it thanks, the message is clear don't bother the NHS, stay in your homes and just die without being a nuisance.

You forgot one thing, keep the beds warm for the young 'uns.

These pricks out 'doing their bit' clapping like idiots on the doorstep. Then off gallivanting around day after day after day, adding to the inevitable burden of the NHS no doubt.

I show my appreciation by doing what I'm told.

These pricks out 'doing their bit' clapping like idiots on the doorstep. Then off gallivanting around day after day after day, adding to the inevitable burden of the NHS no doubt.

Outside my house 15 minutes ago, another two where behind the car on the right

Apols for the crop and filter, didn't want to make the location obvious ;)

Screenshot_20200402_202731.jpg

Fellow leukaemia patients on another forum I frequent are getting the 'anticipatory care' telephone calls.

"So... if you got it... would you want to go to hospital or stay at home? And... would you want to be resuscitated?"

Bit of a kick in the spuds! I'm expecting my call soon :(

To be fair, my Mum, who doesn't have any underlying health conditions but is frail and elderly decided long ago that she doesn't want any effort made to keep her alive beyond medication and basic sustenance.
The care home staff were quite surprised how matter-of-fact we were when discussing it as we've had conversations before, between us, and I know her thoughts and wishes on the subject.

I know for many it's a very emotive topic, but it''s just being practical and making sure your wishes are being carried out.
If you want every effort made to keep you alive then that's what you deserve, but others will be looking at it from a different viewpoint.

Hope you keep well and get through this time.

Outside my house 15 minutes ago

The Brain Trust out in force there.

A bit cynical,but i am getting to feeling the same :(
It comes across a bit more cynical than intended, but it's just the hypocrisy that gets me. Given the circumstances they can't wast resources on the old, which is fair enough use them where they will be most effective, just be honest about it and stop trying to ostracize and demonise older people, just so you can feel better about it.

Final thought, slipping back into full cynical mode, what a country we've become can't or wont protect its children from sexual abuse (rochdale grooming gangs etc) now abandoned and abusing its elderly, this coronavirus is by no means the worst disease affecting the country.

Last edited:
Ironically I'm finding that it's the oldies that are the worst when it comes to distancing. Every time I go to the supermarket I end up playing Aisle Chicken with the elderly. They always win I hasten to add, but that's not the point...

Well today it’s lovely and quiet around us. Even the farmers have done their job and are indoors.

AE9C9C32-F265-4C60-A7B5-DB2A59DDAB19.jpeg

My dad's 86 and over in Ireland. He's about a 5-10 min drive from the nearest supermarket, but has no intention of going. The main difference he sees is that over there, he'e been told to self isolate - with a big emphasis on "cocooning". Over here it seems that it's still just advice. It's the same with the rules in general - there are very strict rules on how far you can go for exercise, for example.

In general, we've managed to sort him online deliveries every couple of weeks (he's useless online) and neighbours drop things off at the door from time to time. He can't go for his walks any more, so he just walks around the outside of the house a few times.

Ironically I'm finding that it's the oldies that are the worst when it comes to distancing. Every time I go to the supermarket I end up playing Aisle Chicken with the elderly. They always win I hasten to add, but that's not the point...

I've made two visits to our local supermarket since this lockdown started. I've found exactly the same thing :( also speaking (at a safe distance) with the staff which I always take time to do to thank them theyve said the same thing time and time again - its the over 60s who are risking multiple trips sometimes in the same day but certainly per week to get the odd bit here and there and then start chatting in the isle and when asked to stop give the staff some awful verbal abuse. Clearly it's not all the over 60s but thats where the message has failed utterly.

Around here we have a major mixed age demographic, the only ones not distancing and isolating as much as is feasable is the over 60s. Im not sure but it does seem from observation its just a matter of oh well if it happens it happens I'd rather be outside. That is rather disturbing for those at risk who are trying to isolate and majorly annoying given the trillions of lost jobs and economic damage being inflicted to try to help them survive!

It's really infuriating to hear of those who still don't get it and still insist it's just the flu and it happens every year 😣

I show my appreciation by doing what I'm told.
Unfortunately they are being encouraged by the Prime Minister who should know better
I don't get this clap for the NHS at all, surely by staying indoors as instructed you are showing support for the NHS
so its just another mixed message
surely paying them a bonus while we are in this situation would be more appreciated

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom