Some Panning & Some Cloning

T0MAT01

I went to see the Heavy Horse Display at the Weald and Downland Museum in Singleton on Saturday. The sun was nice and bright - if anything a bit too bright - and for most of the day there was enough space in the crowd to get right up to the fence, so I came away with a few keepers.

I decided early on that frozen action shots looked pretty bland. With no real evidence of any movement the horses might as well have been standing still, so I dropped the shutter speed and went for some panning shots instead. These horses can really shift once they get going, so I eventually settled on 1/80th as a fairly successful shutter speed, with enough background blur while maintaining a sharp subject. I had my camera on a monopod which made horizontal panning a bit easier.

And here's the result:

Link to Large on black.

I had to do more than my fair share of cloning on this as there were a few tripods supporting the timing equipment that I couldn't avoid unless I lost the nice thatched barn in the background and aimed towards the portaloos instead ;) but I think the blur of the grass due to the panning has actually helped to hide most of it (I'm still a bit of a beginner when it comes to cloning!). Any tips would be useful as I've still got a few more to do.

Of course, all C&C welcome.

johnaalex

Distinguished Member
Nicely panned and cloned. The motion blur looks good and nothing obvious on the cloning front that I can see. Good work! :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom