1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some Panasonic DMR-E85 Questions...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Andy C, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Andy C

Andy C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Well it's my first post so hi! :hiya:

Anyway, I'm looking at buying a Panasonic DMR-E85. I had heard that the unit will convert any input signal passing through, such as that from an STB, to progressive scan. Is this true? I'm interested as I will be buying a plasma TV in a month or two when I am done re-decorating. The setup would be as follows...

STB (RGB) --> TiVo (RGB) --> Panny DVDR E85 (Component) --> TV

So would the E85 convert the TiVo output to progressive scan during pass-thru?

Also, if I was recording a terrestrial channel on the E85, could I still watch a source being passed-thru the unit? (allowing me to still watch a TiVo recording, or LiveTV from the STB whilst recording BBC1 on the Panny?) I'm thinking because the Panny would be channel BBC1, rather than AV, this could not be done?

I pretty much want to watch DVDs in progressive scan via component, but also be able to record terrestrial TV on the E85 whilst watching cable or TiVo recordings. Ideally I would also like to convert the TiVo output to progressive scan to improve the PQ.

Perhaps I'll just have to get a JS Tech converter between the TiVo and TV, and pass the DVDR signal though the TiVo - but I can't remember if the VCR input allows RGB.

Hopefully the above waffle isn't too confusing. :)

Many thanks for any info.

Andy.

2. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    While I can't say for sure how it all works, I have the Pan 85 connected to an lcd panel via component leads with the prog scan option on the Pan 85 switched on. I also have a digital NTL box connected via an rgb lead to the 85, which then sends the signal via the component lead. I assume that there is some sort of conversion of the 576i pal signal as it works fine. Hope this helps. Perhaps someone can explain exactly how it works.

3. Andy C

Andy C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, Rob.

Will your E85 allow you to record an RF source (analog BBC1, ITV, etc) whilst watching cable which is being passed through?

Andy.

4. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Not sure really. I have a sepereate scart taken from the NTL box that allows me to watch tv while I'm recording a programme from HDD to dvd -r say. I aaume it would work in the same way as if it were connected to a VHS player.