Some other Jaws related items in my collection.

Mr Quint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys just wanted to share some other Jaws related items in my collection that don't really warrant individual threads.

Whilst on Martha's Vineyard in June I was very lucky and very honoured to meet up with the, now elderly, Harbour Master who lent Universal Studios the WW Greener Harpoon gun seen on screen and used by Robert Shaw in the movie.

This is me holding the gun and the green case seen in many of the scenes involving Quint.

IMG_2996crop_zps3a172eb8.jpg

IMG_3006crop_zpsea2780c9.jpg

IMG_2993_zps985dd223.jpg

I was not only lucky enough to see and hold the gun but I was also aloud to fire it. It went with a right bang and was almost like a scene out of Steel Magnolias when all the birds took off lol. I had been advised by the owner that I am the 3rd person to fire that gun since Robert Shaw, I was blown away to say the least.

I was also given a souvenir from the meeting, this is the blank that was loaded into the harpoon gun when I fired it, it says WW Greener on the bottom. :)

IMG_2294_zps30291564.jpg

IMG_2293_zps2787d7e5.jpg

A few days later I meet up with Lynn and Susan Murphy again. Not only where they kind enough to sell me some more pieces of the Orca II but they showed me the control boxes used to control the sea sled shark. Notice the writing, Head up, Head down.

IMG_3092crop_zps2bfc65f5.jpg

Yet again I was given a small souvenir of the moment when Susan and Lynn gave me some of the duct tape used to hold the boxes together.

IMG_2285_zps18493256.jpg

Might not mean much to a lot of people but I love having these items as part of the overall collection. Enjoy. :)

Mr. Quint -

I have in my possession a Harpoon (photo attached) that was obtained by myself during a business liquidation of a weapon dealer in New Jersey (around 1992) that claims this was the actual harpoon used in the film Jaws, rented to them, and he has the history of sending/retrieving it from Martha's Vineyard. Been waiting for an opportune time to conduct some further investigation authentication and put it up for sale. And now is the time.

Needless to say, I was quite surprised during my first Google search to find this site and learn of the elderly Harbor Master whose weapon you handled and fired, and his claims. I am wondering if you could point me in a direction of how to best find out if my Greener Mark II Light Harpoon, green case, ammunition and lines are authentic or not.
Jaws inside case items.jpg

I am a movie and memorabilia novice and life's circumstances have blessed me with what could be a great piece of history, and I need to know where to begin finding out if mine is the actual harpoon, or not. Thanks! Rick A.

Just an observation from an amateur, but one of these weapons has a a rubber pad on the end of the stock and the other does not. It might be worth checking the film itself.....

Good observation. The harpoon used in the movie has the identical "recoil pad" as mine. Unfortunately for both the Harbor Master and myself the movie shows red paint on the narrow top surfaces of the vertical side walls of the green painted wooden storage box. Both the Harbor Master's box, and mine, have green paint in the same location … a conclusive indication that neither of our weapon storage boxes were filmed.

From the film:
Jaws pic.jpg

Currently looking into the possibility that my harpoon (still in brand new condition even today) was filmed and another harpoon's wooden box was filmed. It appears the box used in the film may have had its interior coated with a fresh coat of paint (it seems glossier and more reflective than the dull paint normally supplied).

The wood grain of mine may match the wood grain briefly seen close up in the film, but this type of comparison would need to be verified by experts. Makes sense that a second "standby" harpoon would be made available during a movie production on the water. Dropping one in the drink would be costly in the middle of a problem plagued production schedule.

Maybe stretching my optimism, but it's certainly worth more investigation.

Good evening gents. Sorry for the late reply.

The very gun that I am holding also appears in the book Memories From Martha's Vineyard where more info can be found.

It's a very interesting topic to say the least. I was told a while ago that Universal made a few replicas of the Harbour Masters Harpoon Gun for different shots in the movie. One of these did end up in a display cabinet at Universal Florida.

Very very nice Sir. I have never been good at art in any way shape or form, I cant get enough of this kind of stuff.
Just gonna revive this thread real quick. I bought the harpoon gun in your pics back in October. The old harbor master's name was Arthur BenDavid, he passed a few years ago; so, I bought the gun from his son, Rene BenDavid, and Arthur's wife.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom