some newbie toppy questions (topfield tf5800 pvr)

yukioMishima

howdy

i did a quick search but could not find specific answers to my issues.... so apologies if these questions have been asked and answered elsewhere:

i recently purchased a toppy tf5800 pvr (250 gb)

the box has the following taps installed:
- myStuff
- description extender
- eit2mei
- power manager
- remote extender

any others that i should be using?.... any "must haves" that others find indispensable (or solve any of my issues as outlined below)

the controlTimers are fantastic (myStuff)... however:
- is there a way to create a search based on info inside the description of the program (eg. create a controlTimer of all things that incl "martin scorcese" for example.... rather than just basing it on the title of the program)

- is there anyway of not recording the same episode of a series (eg.... CSI runs repeats on 5, 5 US etc etc..... if i setup a controlTimer to record any/ all CSI's across all channels... how do i NOT get multiple records of the same episode)

- last night i had to pause live play whilst i took a phone call..... i resumed the play (and it was runnin about 5min behind "live" tv) however... once one of my controlRecordings started up the toppy jumped forward to "live" tv..... not funny... is there anything i can do about that

- my old sagem had a "buffer" of 30min for pausing live tv before it would auto start playing again.... is there a max pause length on the toppy... or is it based on free HD space?

- i currently have the toppy connected to my TV (toshiba 32wlt66) using a scart cable... is that the best option?

thanks in advance for any help/ advice/ tips you can provide

yukioMishima

Richard46

Hi
the box has the following taps installed:
- myStuff
- description extender
- eit2mei
- power manager
- remote extender
Hi

I would say that was a useful set of TAPs. You might consider Deadbeefs display TAP which improves greatly on the boxes LED info.

the controlTimers are fantastic (myStuff)... however:
- is there a way to create a search based on info inside the description of the program (eg. create a controlTimer of all things that incl "martin scorcese" for example.... rather than just basing it on the title of the program)
Not at the moment although I suspect that TAP writers will start to make use of the extra EPG data some of which I which is now being transmitted as part of the Freeview Playback initiative.
howdy
- is there anyway of not recording the same episode of a series (eg.... CSI runs repeats on 5, 5 US etc etc..... if i setup a controlTimer to record any/ all CSI's across all channels... how do i NOT get multiple records of the same episode)
Again see above. In fact looks like DX has already released a prototype eit2mei with some series link feature.
http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3711&start=1260
Obviously just work in progress at this point and comes with reliabilty warning.
In the meantime I think you can limit CTs to one channel and one day; sorry cannot check at the moment. If you can that should avoid most repeats.
- last night i had to pause live play whilst i took a phone call..... i resumed the play (and it was runnin about 5min behind "live" tv) however... once one of my controlRecordings started up the toppy jumped forward to "live" tv..... not funny... is there anything i can do about that
I thought pause live TV survived just one recording starting; are you sure there was not another recording in the mix? To be honest I find live pause too fragile; too easy for it to be interupted; my advice if you really want to carry on watching something start an instant recording it is only 2 button presses as opposed to the one for pause. If the box run out of tuners thats is it of course; you will just have to miss something.
- my old sagem had a "buffer" of 30min for pausing live tv before it would auto start playing again.... is there a max pause length on the toppy... or is it based on free HD space?
It is a set time but see above I dont use it so it may be 30 or 60 minutes.
- i currently have the toppy connected to my TV (toshiba 32wlt66) using a scart cable... is that the best option?
yukioMishima
Providing you have box and TV (if neccessary) set to RGB then yes :)

Richard

yukioMishima

richard

sorry for the delay in saying THANKS for your response

the toppy seems like a great machine... made all the better by taps

it is all a bit confusing as there appear to be alot of them available.... and it is hard to know which ones to install... esp when mystuff seems to do so much

the one that did catch my eye was meiSearch.... any thoughts/ feedback on that one re: some of my questions/ issues above

thanks again

yukioMishima

D

Deleted member 27989

Meisearch will allow you to search in the description information and set a subsequent control time (but from their on based upon the title)...

Pause Live TV should not have done that with just one recording....I would call it an unfortunate blip...And even when there are more recordings happening mine asks me what I want to sacrifice...

Not recording the same episode is easily done by limiting the control timer to a single channel instead of all channels....And then limiting it to certain days and hours if they repeat during the day....

nwhitfield

I don't use MyStuff, but use UK AutoScheduler instead, which can search programme descriptions, so I have any film by Almodovar recorded, for example. It works very well with EPG Navigator as the EPG.

Nigel.

yukioMishima

thanks all for the input guidance

nigel.... the myStuff interface for epg etc seems pretty nice..... i sould take a look at the taps that you have mentioned... the inability to be able to setup timers by description etc seems like a huge omission to me... i hear rumours that the there is a new version on the way.... anyone know if it will handle this?

thanks again one and all

yukioMishima

yukioMishima

richard

thanks for the link

from what i could see.... it does not look like they are introducing a facility for searching/ setting up controlTimers using the descriptions info of programs.... or did i miss something?

thanks again for all

yukioMishima

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom