Some newb questions....

Discussion in 'PS Vita Forum' started by rickyjohn, Apr 22, 2007.

Tags:
  1. rickyjohn

rickyjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Ok just bought a PSP for my son's birthday from ebay. Looks it top nick to be fair.

Anyway, can't really understand why theres no sticky for FAQs etc, I've done some searches but nothing really conclusive so here's some basic questions.......

1. Homebrew - I've currently got v2.6 on the PSP. What are the benefits of moving to a Dark Alex version, is it risky, how easy is it (from 2.6)?
    2. What games are infrastructure/internet enabled?
    3. IF I buy a US PSP version when I go to the States soon, will it be able to communicate with my sons UK PSP?
    4. Movie watching. What are the generally accepted preferred convertor software(s) to rip DVDs and wmv's/avi's etc to PSP format?

Think thats about it for now!! Cheers.

2. lovelldr

lovelldr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    If you go to one of the DA versions, then the added benefits that you will be seeing are ability to play homebrew games, emulators, customise the psp (could be tricky if you're unsure on what to do), and you can backup your games to play from the memory stick (much faster loading).

Also, you will have a better chance of not loosing the psp, as it comes with a recovery console, where you can restore the psp if it does semi-brick (unlikely unless you do customise the psp etc, but it does help out...). However, it does come at a little bit of a price, in that you do risk bricking the psp by downgrading and installing the oe firmware. It's not a massive risk, as, as long as you follow the instructions to a tea, then it should work fine.

First thing you will need to work out, is whether you are on a ta-082/086 or one of the earlier ones. Then, if it's a non-ta-082/086, upgrade to firmware 2.71 and use the 2.71 generic downgrader. If it is a ta-082/086, then upgrade to 3.03 and use the gta-lcs 3.03 downgrader. Once downgraded, restore default settings, and then install 3.40OEA software...

As for games which are infrastructure, you will find most of the EA Games are enabled (fifa, medal of honour are a few). Can't remember which others I've tried that are...

If you get a US psp, then I'm pretty sure it should communicate with a UK psp. But why not buy another one from ebay? Will probably cost about £80 from us, but if you can get one from ebay cheaper, then why not?

As for movie conversion, I'm not too sure on that, but I know psp video 9 used to be the best for this. But not too sure now...

3. rickyjohn

rickyjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Many thanks for the info.

How do I find out if I'm on a ta-082/086 or other? Also, where do I go about finding the 2.71 or 3.03 firmware (official sony/psp site?). Presumably the downgraders are linked to within the depths of these forums somewhere....

Cheers!

4. dan1991

dan1991

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Im pretty sure you can connect as my mate has an US one and gamesharing on my UK one works fine

5. lovelldr

lovelldr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    go to http://dl.qj.net for the firmwares. There's also the oe install makers as well there, as well as the downgraders.

To find out whether it's a ta-082/6, view this topic, and it should reveal all.

If you've got gta lcs unpatched, then you could just use the 3.03 downgrade method, as this detects whether ta-082/6 and does it all for you...