1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some n00b questions on Freeview

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Proto Omega, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Proto Omega

Proto Omega
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am a total n00b on Freeview and was going to get a digital box to get Freevbiew but have some questions.

1. I just need the box right? I plug it in and tune the channels and thats it? Some people on here say they use aerials? I thought you dont need aerials with Freeview? I'm confused.

2. Do I get 16:9 and 5.1 sound? I will be getting one with optical audio input so i can use a optical lead to connect to my 5.1 system. This will work right?

3. Will I get a clear picture with it without the need for an aerial connected? I will be using my upstairs TV for it and it doesnt have a direct aerial to the outside connected like my downstairs TV but thats fine right?

2. G Canavan

G Canavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You do need an aerial
    You do get 16:9
    you dont get 5.1

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

1). Freeview is a terrestrial based service (same as the current analogue broadcasts) so you need an aerial of some description AND live in a decent coverage area.
    2). The PBS broadcasters (BBC,ITV, Ch4 and Five) have embraced 16:9 but that format has limited use on other channels. DD 5.1 is not currently used by any channel on Freeview but there are advantages in using your amps DAC to process the digital audio from the freeview box.
    3). It is possible for the internal tuner to pick up a signal IF you are in a very stong area reception wise but it's unlikely you will get solid and reliable reception of all the digital muxes without the use of an aerial (indoor or rooftop). I am surprised you are getting all 5 channels on the upstairs TV without the use of an aerial or feed from another device in the house.

4. Proto Omega

Proto Omega
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I actually use a £20 aerial upstairs but the picture isnt great with it I guess it will be like this with Freeview too :(

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Maybe but poor analogue doesn't always mean poor digital depending upon local conditions, sometimes you never know until you try.

First thing is to try the postcode checker to see what the coverage is like over at the Freeview website. Although it tends to be on the conservative side so if you know anyone closeby who has Freeview seeing what sort of reception they get may be a better indication.

Once that is done and you think you will be ok find a retailer who will allow a no quibble return of the STB if it doesn't work out. If it says you need a new aerial then you may get away with splitting the main aerial feed although a booster could be required but again try to get hold of a box to test on the main aerial.

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Depends on what you mean by "not great". Freeview needs strong signals, but it copes very well where multi-path signals (ghosting) is a problem.

7. crobo

crobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    We just had freeview installed. As indicated above you definitely need an aerial. We are in a low-signal area and there was zero reception with the old aerial; the installer said this is common because newer aerials are very different. So I would budget for a new aerial unless you are in a very strong reception area. To get a really strong signal - sufficient to split it for downstairs and upstairs TVs - he had to use a 10-foot extension pole for the aerial to raise it well above local obstructions. The picture quality is very good though.

As stated above, there is no 5.1 audio with Freeview and I don't know why some boxes have optical out. Future proofing maybe.