1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some more on Superbit DVDs

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Costas, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    I know there are many other threads on the subject. I would just like to add some observations.

The Superbit process is both a good marketing ploy for Columbia and indeed better quality of picture and sound especially with screens > 32".

But, there are already a lot of Superbit DVDs without the Superbit label and the extra price! For example just check The Lord of the Rings - Fellowship of the ring special extended version. The film runs on two disks and since there is no problem with space the bit rate is really high (8-10), even higher than some official Superbit DVDs from Columbia Tristar.

On the other hand if you take sometihing like the Mask of Zorro or Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon in standard releases the bit rate is between 3 - 6 while the Superbit version nearly doubles it (4-8).

Hope this is clear..

2. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Althogh it has a higher bit rate LOTR could not carry the superbit title as it is not a columbia trisatr title.

As for the price, I think you chose a wrong title to single out as most superbit titles are cheaper than the 4 disc version of lord of the rings.

Good point though, Im sure there are a quite a few discs out there that are as good as a superbit but not as pricey, for instance the R2 version of panic room excellent picture quality and DTS, im pretty sure that it is an exact copy of the R1 superbit just without it written on the box.

3. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Superbit isn't always great - Panic Room SB has something like 2gigs of room to spare.