Some more Freeview questions...

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Lee James, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Lee James

Lee James
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    1) First of all, does anyone know of a good Freeview FAQ? (A comprehensive one?) All the ones I found on the Web are either biased by whichever advertiser wrote them, or very incomplete.

2) How do you get the 200+ channels? Is this only available through one type of connection/package, or is 200+ channels standard?

3) Is an aerial signal as good as a satellite signal?

4) I just got Sky Digital installed and I asked the installer if he could cable me up in a couple of other rooms for Freeview, but he said that you can't get Freeview through a satellite dish without buying another Sky box and going through Sky! Is he right? I don't want to do that!

5) The guy also said you can't recieve Freeview without a set-top box. I told him I thought there were screens with built-in digital receivers, but he told me I was wrong. Who is right? I've been looking at 20" LCDs for the bedrooms and from what I read I thought there would be no problem recieving digital channels on them.

6) Now I have Sky installed in my living room, I would like freeview cabled into 3 other rooms of my house (I'll be buying the TVs/boxes later). What's the cheapest way for me to get it, with the best possible signal?

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!

2. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Free view is what is generally called the digital service that comes through an aerial. You need a Digital TV or set top box. There are no TV's with built in boxes for Sky or free to view channels on sky.So,Freeview=Digital TV or STB through an aerial. Sky=STB with either subsciption to pay for digital services or a one off payment to recieve "Free To View" channels.

3. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I will try and answer some of your questions...

1) First of all, does anyone know of a good Freeview FAQ? (A comprehensive one?) All the ones I found on the Web are either biased by whichever advertiser wrote them, or very incomplete.

No unless you have not seen http://www.freeview.co.uk/faqs/index.html

2) How do you get the 200+ channels? Is this only available through one type of connection/package, or is 200+ channels standard?

Freeview does not have 200+ channels. You will probably get about 30 at different times of the day. See http://www.freeview.co.uk/whatson/index.html

3) Is an aerial signal as good as a satellite signal?

Im not sure that I understand the question. They are two different things. Freeview uses an aerial and cannot use a satellite dish.

4) I just got Sky Digital installed and I asked the installer if he could cable me up in a couple of other rooms for Freeview, but he said that you can't get Freeview through a satellite dish without buying another Sky box and going through Sky! Is he right? I don't want to do that!

As above, Freeview needs an aerial Another Skybox will not give you Freeview. You need a Freeview box.

5) The guy also said you can't recieve Freeview without a set-top box. I told him I thought there were screens with built-in digital receivers, but he told me I was wrong. Who is right? I've been looking at 20" LCDs for the bedrooms and from what I read I thought there would be no problem recieving digital channels on them.

Yes. TV's with built-in Freeview are termed i-DTV's.

6) Now I have Sky installed in my living room, I would like freeview cabled into 3 other rooms of my house (I'll be buying the TVs/boxes later). What's the cheapest way for me to get it, with the best possible signal?

You have the option of a cheap STB for each room (or a i-DTV), Freeview boxes cast from about £50 and as there is no subscription, that is it. If you have decent reception, you can then get the aerial feed split into each room.

The other option is a single STB with the output fed into each room. All rooms will need to watch the same channel and you will need to buy a IR sender if you want to change channels in other rooms. To be honest, this option will not save you much and you may find it inconvenient.

-Ian