1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some may not like this, but...

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by g_unit, Jan 20, 2005.

1. g_unit

g_unit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As you may know I have a busted Sony LCD RP 50" at home taking up space for nothing.

Up until now I have been working under the assumption the TV will be going back once the engineers have done all their crap. So I have been looking for a set to replace the TV, and have viewed many DLP's.

I was this close to buying the 52" Tosh but have now changed my mind and decided to get my Sony fixed under warranty. The reason for this mainly is that while the Tosh is mind blowing with HD content, its pretty crap with SkyD and normal TV. On the other hand my Sony is not even HD, but SkyD looks pucka as normal tv. I have seen the blurring on Sky feeds and even from a distance I dont think I could live with it. If and when Sky HD comes out, no doubt its going to be a while and expensive... but then these tv's and expensive wires may be worth it. I use cheap cables all round and have a diamond pic on my Sky (with a little recalb of the dish :zonked: )

Overall I think for the average home viewer the Sony is a good choice. For the TV nerds (no offence guys :lesson: ) HD TV's are the cooler TV to have without any real benefits at the mo.

My conclusion - DLP is not quite there yet. The rainbows def need sorting, just because I cant see em, other family members visitors may be able to and thats just not acceptable. Also DLP's seem to be more prone to solarisation on bright feeds.

These are just my opinions - dont have a cow DLP owners.

G-unit

PS
    Who knows if the Sony plays up even once more after its fixed its going straight back and I may end up with a DLP after all, but for now I'm not overly impressed.

2. Van300

Van300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I've got an Optoma RD 50 DLP and the PQ for normal TV is really good. I was prepared for it to be quite bad as people have commented but it has turned out for the better.

It's HDTV etc...

60hz problem accepted!

3. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Nice post.. I can see where you are coming from..

SD material, such as SKY, will always be tricky for a HDTV, as any digital processing you use to smooth it out will have some negative effect, etc..

I found moving to a much more detailed CRT RPTV that Sky initially looked awful, I could see all the artefacts, and smearing was terrible, casued by having the DNR feature set too high..
    However, turning downthe DNR, and just watching the set, after 2 weeks or so, it just didn't bother me..
    The strange thing is, when I then went into comet, etc, and saw all the other TV's that where 'smoother', all I saw was a massive lack of detail, and it was like watching a TV through a pair of white net curtains..

And this is part of the problem..

For some people, they will notice this more detailed/artefacty rendition of poor sky channels straight away, as they are comparing it to their previous CRT's or whatever, and any difference immediately leaps out,
    But I bet they get used to it, and if after a few weeks go back to watching their CRT's, suddenly realise how 'soft' and detailess they really are..

Of course, it's too big a hurdle for some people to overcome.. and sopme won't even bother, or can't draw themselves away from these things..

Although things like Rainbows, well, if you are susceptible, you should never consider a DLP TV until they use 3 DMD units, with no wheel..

Perhaps some people with DLP's who've had them for a few weeks can comment on whether they are used to them now, or whether its a really big issue??

4. schnipps

schnipps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!

I just CANNOT make my mind up between the 42" sony LCD RPTV or the Tosh 46 DLP, im utterly at a loss. Everyone says things fore and against. You dont really know what you can put up with until you get it home, viewing it in stores isnt the ideal way to choose but obviously its the only way.

I dont use a hd dvd player and have telewest digital and mainly watch normal tv so why get the tosh?

But then people say the sony is washed out and grey which i agree with having viewed it many times and that they are prone to problems with bulbs etc

But then the tosh has the rainbow and blurring issues

I have never been so undecided on anything in my life

Help

5. fleagledog

fleagledog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Demon
    You are quite right about this. Having had my Tosh 46" since boxing day, I could not go back to a 100mghz crt because of the lack of detail. And actually, I think there are less artifacts with the tosh than there were with my panny 36". This surprised me as I was expecting the larger screen size to reveal more and even warned the wife about it. As for the rainbows: I am one of the people who can see them, but only if I look for them and, if I am engrossed in what I am watching, I dont see them at all. The blurring, to me, is a non issue. On the very rare occasions that I see it, it is down to the poor quality of the input. I am certain (others will argue, I know) that it is not a Tosh/DLP issue. Even when I do see it, it is not especially annoying. For the price, and having compared it with plasmas, LCDs & other DLPs I think it is a bargain. When you look at a good quality DVD through HDMI at 720p, I have yet to see a better picture....at any price.

6. g_unit

g_unit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your views guys, was expecting to be told to leave the room!

Well life's a biatch! The 'engineer' came yesterday to fix the TV, low and behold they gave him the wrong bulb!! So now I'm at the point of giving this set back for good as I did not pay £2000 not to watch decent TV for over two months. I love the TV, but this lack of support is killing me...

Now the problem is I'm back to square 1, DLP or something else?!?!?!! ARGGH

Oh and what kind on engineer is sent out on the tube and busses? I live quite far from the nearest bus stop and felt sorry for the engineer and so dropped him off to the bus stop! Clowns

7. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    You really need to get to view some of the other DLP sets.
    If I'd only ever seen the Tosh I wouldn't be looking for one either.
    Try to get into Comet and have a look at the Sagem yes the HD is mind blowing and obviously a normal feed will no wheere be as good.
    But even after browsing through the store feeds I'd still say it's a blinding picture and easily miles better than any other vanilla RPTV.
    I've stuck with a 36inch CRTV for the last 5 Years because nothing I've ever seen could beat it's picture quality, until I saw a DLP rear.

8. g_unit

g_unit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Billy - This is my point exactly.

At the mo I dont have any plans on buying a HD DVD player, nore is Sky converting to HD any time soon. So I will be almost always be watching normal feeds that on the Sony look good, and on the Tosh and other DLP's look crap.

This seems to be (correct me if I'm wrong) due to DLP's dissplaying such a high level of detail. As there is little 'filtering' of the picture you see all the detail including artifacts etc. Bit of a double edged sword.

Huhhhhh, I just dont know.

9. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    This is where we will have to agree to disagree I don't think normal feeds look "crap" at all on a DLP rear.
    On the contrary I think almost all of the previous types of RPTV's give a crap picture no matter what the source is.

10. fleagledog

fleagledog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    g
    I really would not describe the sky pq as crap. It is very watchable and in some cases truelly cinematic. You really need to see it through a good RGB feed and not the rubbish that they use in Comet etc. which are also prone to a lot of interference. If you are local to Ilford, you are welcome to come and see my setup if you think that it will help.

11. digitize

digitize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aha, so the Sony LCD rpTVs are a better buy then, compared to the new DLPs, at least for the time being anyway...

Just out of interest, how is/was the vertical viewing angle of the Sony KF50? i.e viewing from the top, looking down the screen at an angle?

Your reply will help me a lot, as this is a major concern in my ongoing quest for a big TV for my living room.

12. g_unit

g_unit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your input lads - and fleagledog for you generous offer.

I'm not going to say your all wrong etc, because in fact your probably right. I am basing my opinion on what I see in the shops, as will most people buying these TV's.
    On the other hand you have the benefit of a quality setup at home, so I do take note of what you are all saying.

I think that these stores are not very fair to TV's as they feed them with such crap signals

looks like some more investigation is in order - as I'm not fixed in opinion about DLP's. Every urge in me wants these TV to be great as they are in my price and size range. Man this is harder than I thought.

13. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    been watching the telewest on my Optoma rd50 the picture on most channels is better than my son's 28" widescreen Tosh CRT his set is only average for a CRT
    football does look better on his set.
    watching DVDs the picture is miles better both R1 & R2 using a PC DVI input
    there was a diferance in picture quality between the two PC's i used Radeon 9800pro
    DVI the picture was very good using a radeon X800pro the picture was stunning
    best picture i have ever seen Gladiator R1 & i have looked at high end Plasmas
    in proper AV shops (not Comet or Currys)
    ps checked performance under task manager & cpu useage went from 2% to 13%
    on the 9800 pro.