1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some LCD Questions!!!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by cyc2222, Dec 21, 2004.

1. cyc2222

cyc2222

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I'm in the market for a new LCD TV right now and I have some questions. My budget is limited, so it is a hard decision.

1) What is the difference between the Philips 32 PF- 9976 LCD- TV and the Philips 32 PF 9986? Which one's better, are they any good?

2) How is the Sharp LC30 HV 4e, is it any good? Does it have progressive scan?

3) How is the LG RZ-30LZ50?

4) Is the Philips 3o" 9975 still a good buy?

I would like to have progressive scan, DVI would be a bonus, but not neccessary. I want a good picture. I usually play games (PS2), watch DVD's and watch TV but not too often.

Any other suggestions? (in the above price range)

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The daddy of them all is the Philips PF9986. To save you messing around, if you can afford the £2000 for this one, just get it.

The rest pale by comparison, but, depending on price, are worthy.

The 9976 is the 9986's plain wee brother. No Ambilight and only Pixel Plus. (PixelPlus2 on the 9986) It has other disadvantages with regards connectivity too. Picture quality suffers.

I know little about the other Philips and the Sharp except that they are both older panels and liable not to perform terribly well.

If the £2000 is too steep, consider the Viewsonic N3000W which I have recommended to others looking for a good lower price set. It is a 30" and has virtually every concievable connection available, making it allegedly future proof! Costs £1400. Check out the review on the main page - 'Hardware reviews'.

Jimmy

3. cyc2222

cyc2222

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, these were my thoughts too. But I don't think i can currently afford the 9986. But I might wait a bit, until prices will fall.

4. cyc2222

cyc2222

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read some of the reviews on the front page. Can't find any information about the LG RZ-30LZ50. Does anybody have this Screen?
    Is it an old model, and does it have all important connections and progressive scan?

It seems like the 9986 is currently the best screen around. But the philips 9975 seems like a very good screen too, the review says it's picture quality is pretty awesome.The same goes for the Sharp LC 30hv 4 e, but the review says that the quality is olny good when you have a good connection. Through cheap connections, noise appears.

5. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Watch out for cheap sets - these are often a generation older. However there are also some prime priced sets that are also a over a generation old. IMO, LCD's have only matured in the last 9 months or so with the introduction of the 1366x768 16:9 panels.

The Philips 9986 was one of the first of this new batch, but there are others that also give an equally very good picture, if not better and more flexible connectivity so deserve equally careful consideration.

Based on this criteria, I would remove all bar the 9976/9986 from your short list and add some more.

-Ian

6. cyc2222

cyc2222

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'M currently also looking at the new Sharp LC-26Ga4e or it's bigger brother the
    LC-32Ga4e, but the 32" model might be a bit out of my price range...
    Btw, The unit will sit in a cupboard which is 110cm wide, and I am about 2.5 metres away from the screen.

How are they?
    These are both new panels with the higher res, they have DVI and progressive scan.

Is 26" enough or should I get a 32"?

7. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Is 26" enough or should I get a 32"?[/QUOTE]
    At 2.5 metres away I would say the 32" could be on the big side. The 26" would be better. 3.5 - 4.5m for a 32".

The Sharps you mention may be difficult to get. Some of the folks on the other threads are going into this topic in detail...

Jimmy

8. cyc2222

cyc2222

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Humm, saw the thread... I checked some online stores that sell the sharp (I'M in Germany) and they seem to have no problems shipping them.

9. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    jimsan, 3.5-4.5 metres away from a 32"!!!!!!!!!

I'll only be able to sit 7ft away and people were telling me that I should still consider a 42" (plasma) as i'll only regret not going for the larger screen at a later date.

I'm aware that there are issues with LCD (and plasma) that probably require a decent viewing length to see the picture at it's best but 12ft for a 32" seems too long a distance to me.

I know personal preference comes into it and all that.

BTW, do you sit 12ft away from your 9986?

What's the closest you can get (assuming a decent feed) before the picture starts deteriorating??

10. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I sit approx 11 feet from the set, I would say 9 feet before the picture loses quality, but still OK.

DVD's through Component Progressive Scan + PP2 allow you to stick your nose against the set before you see any deterioration! But for general viewing 9 - 12 feet and it looks perfect. That'll be 3 - 4 metres then...sorry.

Subjective situation though, and I have never really liked looking at big screens - they just amplify broadcast flaws.

Jimmy

PS. Bear in mind also, that a 32" LCD is the equivalent of a 34" CRT...if such a thing ever existed.

11. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    ok cheers.

12. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I sit 3 - 3.5m from my 32" Loewe Xelos SL. However I also regularly sit at 45 degrees from the set at 1.5m. I have no picture quality issues at any of these distances. For me, 32" is just the right size, unless I am watching 2.35:1 movies when I sometimes wish that I had opted for the 37". But I didn't want the set to be all consuming - thats just my preference, others may feel different.

Personally, I would go to a shop with a tape measure, stand at your expected viewing distance and watch normal TV and a 2.35:1 movie.

-Ian

13. asdff

asdff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Indeed, you can get it from shops in Holland and Germany without any problems

Seems to be only in the UK..

14. cyc2222

cyc2222

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was at the shop yesterday and the sharp models did really dissapoint me.
    But then I saw a samsung model which really rocked (Samsung LE-32A41B). It is a new panel, has dvi and progressive scan and the picture quality was really awesome. Gonna get that one.

15. S4LTY

S4LTY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Samsung are great looking sets aren't they?

What does everyone think the best of these two......

Samsung LE40R51BX or the LGRZ37LZ31 ?????

Please,PleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePlPleaseease ADVISE!!

I'm torn between the two. Only watch Sky/DVD's through it. Have a Samsung HT-TP33 Home Cinema System that I'm looking to maximise by getting a decent LCD but am so in limbo about what the best 37 or 40" is under £1400.

:lease: :lease:

16. Dom996

Dom996

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Ian, sorry I don't mean to 'flame you', but I have seen many SL32s and the blacks deteriorate drastically as soon as you are slightly off axis. Is there a setting I don't know about?