Some interesting thermal imaging pictures.

Dave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all, took a few shots of the PS3 and the 360 with a thermal imaging camera to see where and how much heat they actually pump out.

Sorry about the poor quality, I had to take them through the thermal camera with my digicam.

The first one shows my (messy) setup.

DSC04040.jpg

The PS3 is running the dash and the 360 HD DVD is playing a DVD.

This one shows them both from a thermal image.

DSC04038.jpg

This one is a closer shot of the PS3, the hottest spot I could find was coming out of the vents on the right hand side and measured 49 degrees.

DSC04043.jpg

This is a closer shot of the 360 and the hottest part I could find on this was the vent on the top right hand side which measured 44 degrees.

DSC04045.jpg

So, there you go, not exactly scientific but interesting none the less.:D

Can i suggest, a girlfriend, wife, or even some kids:rolleyes: joke dude.....

Does it mean that the PS3 whilst creating more heat, is better at extracting it?

Well i think it was a cool idea dude....:smashin:

What it does show is all the heat flow is out of one side.. so that's the place you need to make sure has a good airflow.

I'd be tempted in that unit to move it as far left as it would go to give it a bit more space... how hot does the divider in that unit get?

What it does show is all the heat flow is out of one side.. so that's the place you need to make sure has a good airflow.

I'd be tempted in that unit to move it as far left as it would go to give it a bit more space... how hot does the divider in that unit get?

The whole unit gets pretty warm cos there's an amp and sky+ box the other side. I drilled loads of 30mm holes in the bottom and removed most of the back so ventilation's pretty good.

It's been like that for a couple of years and I've never had any problems with stuff overheating.

Holes in the bottom will do it too :D

The SkyHD one is funny.. it sends most of its heat out of the left, but picks up a lot of heat from the bottom since it's all metal there - so if you put it on top of something that radiates heat its fan goes bananas. I had mine on sat top of the amp for about a day.. bad idea. Now it sits on 2 inch stilts :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom