Question Some initial help for fake chimney breast build

jimmyca69

Established Member
Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I am after some initial advice on a fake chimney breast project for my living room that I am about to start on.

My first query is can anyone recommend decent free/cheap software to plan the work so i can produce 2d/3d design to scale? I have been doing it in paint up until now but it gets tiring when trying to maintain scale etc.

The second is around sound, for context I have a new build (7 yrs old) timber frame house with plasterboard fixed to a wooden stud wall (400mm apart) with then insulation before an air gap and then breeze block and rendering. I am planning for a 500mm deep wall and the design is being based around the below example:

living-room-pic.png

I currently have the following I need to cater for in the setup: The TV is a LG OLED55B7V plus Sky Q, Xbox One X and a 4yr old Samsung HW-K430 soundbar with wireless sub.

My wife does not want any additional shelving at the front or the left hand side (design and room layout dictate this) and so I am looking at options. For the Sky Q and Xbox i am thinking of having them on shelves i build into the right side of the fake wall (should work with 500mm depth and 400mm wall until fireplace).

With the depth of the recess and the TV being pulled forward to front via this bracket, I thought about having the soundbar sat behind the TV where the plugs etc are but I am sure the sound wont be good. So looking for advice on whether there is potential to have wall/ceiling speakers high on each side (ideally flush) and then a shelf under the Sky/Xbox ones for an amp. I can do all that but will it work sound wise having speakers facing off to each side and not forward? Any other options to have a decent sound setup to fit into the design above that might work?

Thanks
James

Assuming you don't want additional speakers, would sound/picture frame speakers be suitable?

My first query is can anyone recommend decent free/cheap software to plan the work so i can produce 2d/3d design to scale? I have been doing it in paint up until now but it gets tiring when trying to maintain scale etc.

Sweethome 3D is pretty basic but it's free and very easy to use.

There are also a few sites with free furniture models you can import.

Google sketch up has like a 30 day free trial. Should be able to get your design done in that time 🤞

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom