1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some info about nVidia cards please

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by KraGorn, Sep 28, 2004.

1. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've always used ATI cards for my HTPCs but now that TheaterTek 2 will use the nVidia decoders it seems that an nVidia card is required for best results.

The apparent card of choice right now is a 6800GT .. now to my question: is there a 6800 and a 6800GT variant? The main problem with nVidia cards is they're so damned noisy. :(

Looking through lists of nVidia cards this Gigabyte one is the only 6800-based card I've see that's seemingly fanless, but it doesn't say it's a 'GT'.

Seems damned stupid to me to base DVD playback on a high-end gaming card but sadly that's what TheaterTek have done now. :mad:

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I've only got one of the older 5900 cards here,but the main difference is in terms of the memory interface and bandwith(128 Vs 256 bit),and the ultimate speed of the card,although both variants are significantly faster then the 5900 series.

One point that is worth considering apart from the noise issue,is the card power requirement,with some versions of the 6800 chipset requiring 400W supplies and 2 HDD power supply connectors.

You should have no problems with a basic 6800 although it will likely need a minimum of a 300W supply.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    :eek: .. surely that sort of power isn't going to be needed for DVD playback. :confused:

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Not for video playback,but for the power requirements of the card and chipset.....there's insufficient voltage or current available via the AGP bus,and so either one or in some cases two HDD connectors are used to supply the necessary power.
    My humble old 5900 has one HDD supply devoted to it,and requires a minimum 300W supply in the PC to run it,and everything else.

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sorry, I wasn't clear ... my point is that the 6800GT is now being touted as a 'must have' for HTPCs over on AVS, so all that noise and power/heat now has to be accomodated in a 'silent' PC.

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Got it!....not easy to do that,as the fan even on my lower spec model isn't exactly silent,although there are some 6800 models which claim to have low noise fans(28dB noise levels being quoted).
    The model you'd found is about the only one I can see that is fanless,but it won't avoid all of the power supply issues.

Luckily my HCPC doesnt need a very high spec graphics card,as it uses an X-Card for the DVD processing,but I can see the problems if you need a high spec card for video processing.... I already have enough fans around with the PC being the least of them(the Krells I have are older full Class A models,and have quiet but not silent fans,and amazing heat output!).

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    After more research it apears the only major difference between the 'normal' and 'GT' flavours is the GT has 16 pipelines while the 'normal' has 12 .. other things like clock speed and memory width can't possibly affect DVD renedering, surely .. it's unclear though if that difference will have a noticeable impact on PQ. Even if it does I may well opt for that Gigabyte one simply to be fanless.

I have a QTech 350W PSU, the PC contains a 3G Prescott, 512Mb RAM, 1 Samsung HDD and a couple of LiteOn DVDs (2 simply to have R1 and R2 without needing RPC1 hacks or AnyDVD et. al.) .. is that going to be overloaded by a 6800 do you think?

8. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,750
    Just noticed a review of some cards on Toms that are supposed to be quieter here

9. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Not entirely sure,but your PC is about as loaded in terms of peripherals etc as mine(DVD R/W drive,CDROM,1Gb RAM,2.8GHz P4,120Gb HDD)and it runs the 5900 plus its noisy fan quite happily from a 300W supply,so you "should" be OK!

10. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks for that comment Alex, and thanks to John for the link, what a coincidence Tom's published that today, those Leadtek cards look interesting and will go nicely with my Zalman CPU cooler .. if I can lift the case after installing them both. :laugh: