1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some honesty please!!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Steffche, Oct 8, 2004.

1. Steffche

Steffche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help me please!

Just to fill you in on the background...

Purchased a 42PF9945, looked crap, swapped it with a 42PF9946, and picture quality improved......well atleast in the first week!

Stayed up past midnight last night playing around with DVE, trying to get this display looking better. I get to the video demonstrations where the guy and girl are standing on the back of a boat pointing up to the sky, and next to them this bright orange pole.... Well the girl is wearing a black dress, and when I get up close to the screen and pause the DVD at this point, I notice her dress is covered with red green and blue pixels... It's as though they are all out of alignment. Shouldn't they be combining to give a grey color? If I turn the brightness down, her dress just looks black...like a silouhette, no depth.

What I would like to know is....am I expecting too much from Plasma, or is this just another poor quality screen?

Has anyone with a more expensive plasma (ie, panny or pio) noticed this before? I know that when I sit back on the sofa you can't see it...but even if you stand 1 metre back from teh display you can still see them....like dancing pixels!

Just one more point...in the grey scale ramp pattern, when I try to adjust contrast, some of the grey boxes look fuzzy...again I describe it as dancing pixels. If I go up or down with the contrast, the fuzzyness disappears from one box, but then moves into the next one. The color test pattern also has moving pixels in some of the color bars. If I go pu or down with the color setting, the moving pixels go from one color box to another.

What is going on here?????

Please help, as I REALLY NEED IT!

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the effect you describe is highly visible on 35" JVC most useless plasma i have ever seen Sorry JVC normally like your kit but that is crap!
    on a panny i need to be 30 cm from screen and even then far less dancing than on JVC...... i spent 3 hours on the JVC trying to sort it........TV pic was ok it was DVD via component that really sucked...

3. Steffche

Steffche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have noticed that watching HDtv isn't as bad as watching DVD.

I suppose 60cm is about where I had my face last night...maybe even closer at times to really notice the individual green red and blue pixels. What I also noticed is that if I had color on say...60, dropping it down to 59 reduced dancing pixels in some of the color bars, a further drop to 58 reduced it in different color bars. I can't believe that one number can make this difference, and it cycles...ie, if I keep dropping the color down one notch at a time.

Anyone else have any comments?

4. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I've just tried the same test (black dress on DVE)... my setup:

Sony DVP-NS930 using component/progressive connection to LG 42PX11.

Even with my face pressed to the screen I can't see and R/G/B pixels on the black dress... That close, you can see individual black / grey pixels, as you would expect, but nothing that looks out of place.

Note that my contrast is at 100, and brightness is set right at the point where sub-black signals disappear, but even the smallest increases above black are visible.

If you've got the opportunity, I would seriously think about dumping the Philips. The 9946 isn't even a Pixel Plus model, and IMHO that would be the only reason for owning a Philips.

Admittedly, the Philips is one of the better priced models that includes tuner / speakers. But if that is important to you, the 42PX11 (or at least mine ;-) does *not* display the problems you describe, includes the "XD engine" (think Pixel Plus), a DVI input, and can be had for £300-400 cheaper than the lowest price I've seen for the 9946 (£1500-1600, compared to £1900 for the Philips).