Some help with surround sound!!

andirsv

Standard Member
Hi guys, been a long time since I have posted but am on again for some help please!

I have an issue with my ps3 > Onkyo tx-sr07 receiver! Basically, I use the ps3 for watching blu-rays and have it connected to my receiver via HDMI looking to enjoy the full 5.1 experience! However, it's not happening!!! I put the movie "The Hangover" on tonight (love that movie!) but it's only producing sound from the front speakers?? I have checked the "sound settings" on the ps3 and it is set to "HDMI" in automatic mode, which is supposed to sort everything out without the need for my input. Can anyone offer some help as to why this is happening? I have previously set the Onkyo system up with the "Odyssey set up mic" and when watching a movie on Sky HD, it sounds brilliant.......only a problem with the ps3 playing blurays???:mad:

Thakns in advance:)

davepuma

Distinguished Member
What mode is the amp in? What is displayed on the front panel of the amp? Ideally you need to place the amp in auto mode so that it decodes whatever is input automatically.

What model of PS3 do you have? You need to set your PS3 up bitstream or LPCM depending on which model you have. If it's the original PS3, you cannot bitstream HD audio, so you have to set it to LPCM. The newer, slim PS3 can bitstream HD audio and therefore the PS3 is set to bitstream.

andirsv

Standard Member
Thanks buddy.....ok

As far as Im aware, the amp is in auto mode, when i select "game" input (where i have the ps3 input in) it automatically shows "DTS" on the panel.

The ps3 is an early 30gb model, so unsure if the problem lies there? When i selected hdmi as the sound connection for the ps3, it shows that all sound settings are available in "auto" mode??..... If that makes sense??

Broadz

Distinguished Member
I have checked the "sound settings" on the ps3 and it is set to "HDMI" in automatic mode, which is supposed to sort everything out without the need for my input.

Instead of checking the sound setting on the PS3, check the sound settings on the particular DVD or Blu Ray disc you are playing. Many default to DD2.0 audio (so that the distributor knows it will be audible when played directly through your stereo TV speakers), and you need to select one of the alternative soundtrack modes to enable digital surround sound. Before pressing PLAY to play the move, select AUDIO and ensure you select a surround sound encoded soundtrack (DD5.1 or DTS). Then, as that audio is passed via HDMI to your AV receiver, it will correctly decode the six channel surround sound and pass the audio correctly to the attached speakers.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom