1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some help please with picture quality on a RPTV

Discussion in 'TVs' started by dealstokie, Jun 3, 2005.

1. dealstokie

dealstokie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi there,
    I have a Toshiba RPTV, just bought it second hand, could I please have some help with the picture settings.

Im also a newbie to RPTV

I dont think there is much of a problem with convergance ( I think )
    Here is a list of what is connect to the tv and how :

Old Pace Ondigital box ( using for top up tv ) connected via Gold Jvc ribbon scart cable.

CheapAccustic solutions DVD player connected via Gold Jvc ribbon scart cable.

PS2 via standard 3rca + scart block

Gamecube via 3rca

____First of all, would I be better of using better scart leads ( lower end of ixos ? )____

Now for the picture quality.
    Nothing ( i think ) is RGB

( 1 ) Everything seems to suffer slightly when very bright colours are used ( ie, menues, white colours, sky spot news ect ) The white colours seem tosuffer the worst, It seems to 'bleed' past the area's its suppose to be ( ie menu's the letters are white, but the white appears the 'smudge the letters ? )

(2) Sharness does not seem to be to good when looking at background pictures , but is great close range.

(3) I cant seem to get the contrast/brightness right its either to dark or to light.

(4) I dont seem to get as good a picture from the Digibox compared to the rest of the items connected, Is this because of the digibox being old?

I think thats about right, these problems are not to bad really, but just seeing If I can improve them.

I hope it all makes sense to you all.

2. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,507
    Dealstroke

You have a CRT or LCD rear pro and not a DLP one.

Calibration is a pain in the a*** on these rear pros. It sounds like your guns/bulb need replacing. This is common on rear and front pro's.

This can cost any where from £100 to £350 plus fitting. Not cheap.

With regards to leads I would personaly only use good quality leads especially when using a large display. My personal fav is ixos. You can get good discounts if you hunt around the web.

Your dvd player should give you a better picture than the digibox. But if it is abnormally bad try the same lead as you were using on your dvd player for your digibox? Is there any change?

If your digibox is very old then an upgrade might be called for. Read a few reviews for guidance.

Your TV set should also have a RGB Scart Input there is usually only one on these sets. Use this for your best source ie. DVD. Go into your dvd player setup system and change the output to RGB Scart. This should improve your picture.

I hope this help you out a bit. If you replace the guns/bulb and get te mirror cleaned the picture will be as new. :)

3. dealstokie

dealstokie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Razor.
    So there is no 'convergance ' on this set?
    I dont think ( hope) its not anything like guns ect.

It is very minor the problems, but I can see them.

4. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,507

Convergence can be done by lining up the cross/crosses. Some sets have a multi cross. ie more than one cross, line up all of thes crosses. Some sets only have 1 cross in the centre of the screen. There are rear pro sets that do convergence automaticaly at the push of a button

By line up I mean the different colour crosses should lay over one another.

:thumbsup:

5. dealstokie

dealstokie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What crosses?
    In the service menu? ( dont know how to get there )

6. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,507
    It should be in the set up menu not the service menu, (if it does it automatically there is some times a button on the set). If your without a manual you might be able to source a copy from the Tosh website. What model number is the set?

:)