1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some help please!! PC/LCD TV combi

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by andyuk2005, Feb 23, 2005.

1. andyuk2005

andyuk2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there :hiya: , I need some help looking for an LCD TV which has the ability to connect to a PC preferably by a d-sub connection. Ive been looking but its getting increasingly difficult. So far this is my best bet but the price is a bit steap: http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=7898&GroupID=396

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks guys and nice forum btw! :smashin:

2. jon2099

jon2099

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The 20" AOC you found is actually a good price for the size. The problem with it is the 800x600 resolution; fine if you're using it mainly as a TV but a PC desktop would feel a little cramped. Other than that the specs are pretty normal for a budget set, the 22ms response time isn't great if you watch a lot of fast-paced sports though.

Some additional info about your requirements would be useful, e.g. budget, size, 4:3 vs widescreen, proportion of TV vs PC use. Most LCD TVs have a D-sub connector for a PC, exceptions are the few 20" and 15" and smaller sets with a 640x480 resolution (which would be unsuitable for XP anyway).

3. andyuk2005

andyuk2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. Im looking to spend a maximum of £350. Im looking for a 16ms response time on a 19"+ screen.

Really? I thought these combis were quite hard to get hold of.

4. rooney

rooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    i am in same situation as u apart from i need two

there must b a set that can b used for pc/tv equilly surely

searchin the net drivin me mad :eek:

5. andyuk2005

andyuk2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. andyuk2005

andyuk2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was pondering.....does it really matter about the resolution since you can change that setting on the PC, or does that affect the quality of the picture?

7. andyuk2005

andyuk2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right I am utterly baffed!
    Ive got a couple of questions, even though not all of the others have been answered yet!
    Im going to plugging in my PC (when I get it) along with my XBox.
    Do I want DVI or D-Sub input?
    Do I want HDTV?

8. jon2099

jon2099

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    For a PC with a modern graphics card, DVI is preferable as it avoids a redundant conversion from digital to analogue and then back to digital again, although at lower resolutions (such as 800x600 for the TV you found) it doesn't matter. The resolution matters since LCDs work best at their native resolution; at other resolutions it can look fuzzy as it has to rescale it to fit the native resolution. Newer ones have better scalers though.

For the Xbox, I don't think DVI is possible so it'll have to be VGA (or even RGB SCART). HDTV- it depends. I think it's essential on larger TVs but it's use on smaller ones is debatable. If you're sitting a comfortable distance away, say 2m, then you won't notice the additional resolution of HDTV anyway.

For your budget and size, that AOC is about all you can get I think; there are also a few 17" widescreen models for that price- search this forum, there were posts on that a few weeks ago.