Some help on HTPC please

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by andyc11, Aug 28, 2012.

1. andyc11

andyc11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi,

My ageing Dell needs replacing. I'm not brilliant with computers but think a HTPC is the way I want to go. Just to explain my current set up. I have my current PC upstairs in my bedroom connected to TV. Downstairs I have WD media player with external hard drive, Apple TV3, AVR and an ever expanding blu-ray collection. I use the ATV for music and other iTunes content and have ripped my DVD collection to the external hard drive. Ideally I want to have my DVD/blu ray collection on the HTPC, as well as my iTunes library.

So I'm after future proofing and looking for at least 1TB. I also just want to plug it into my AVR (so HDMI is necessary) and I'm up and running. I can then move my ATV3 upstairs and use AirPlay to stream content, as the HTPC will be downstairs. I've see this on a popular auction site and It seems to meet all my needs...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMD-A6-X3...DesktopPCs&hash=item4d0096a220#ht_2164wt_1202

Not knowing much about this stuff, wondered what peoples thoughts were? The HTPC's I see in the classifieds here are few and far between and always seem to have one thing I'm really after missing e.g. no blu-ray drive, small hard drive, no HDMI etc. As I say, I really don't want to build one myself or start installing OS, hard drives etc so am after a system I can just plug in and play. I have iPad for general web browsing so the HTPC is really just there for storage I guess. Am I missing something obvious that meets my needs better than a HTPC? Would stress my trusty Dell is creaking now so I am after replacing rather than upgrading and increasing hard drive.

Thanks

2. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    Its unlikely the dell's GPU will have the grunt to play back bluray rips. Also if you want to rip blurays, 1tb wont last long :). Of course that depends how you rip them, compressing will obviously save space but then you dont have the original quality. A halfway house so to speak is to just extract the main feature and discard everything else, but thats mostly a manual process. A lot of end users who want a close to a bd player as possible want it to be as automated as possible.

3. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,492
    That's the sort of spec you want yeah, although...

That particular advert is clearly a scam or otherwise dodgy listing so I'd avoid that seller and buy from somewhere reputable.

A NAS might have been an option but it sounds like you wouldn't have any other computers so you wouldn't be able to rip new blu-rays.