Some help on HTPC please

andyc11

Hi,

My ageing Dell needs replacing. I'm not brilliant with computers but think a HTPC is the way I want to go. Just to explain my current set up. I have my current PC upstairs in my bedroom connected to TV. Downstairs I have WD media player with external hard drive, Apple TV3, AVR and an ever expanding blu-ray collection. I use the ATV for music and other iTunes content and have ripped my DVD collection to the external hard drive. Ideally I want to have my DVD/blu ray collection on the HTPC, as well as my iTunes library.

So I'm after future proofing and looking for at least 1TB. I also just want to plug it into my AVR (so HDMI is necessary) and I'm up and running. I can then move my ATV3 upstairs and use AirPlay to stream content, as the HTPC will be downstairs. I've see this on a popular auction site and It seems to meet all my needs...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMD-A6-X3...DesktopPCs&hash=item4d0096a220#ht_2164wt_1202

Not knowing much about this stuff, wondered what peoples thoughts were? The HTPC's I see in the classifieds here are few and far between and always seem to have one thing I'm really after missing e.g. no blu-ray drive, small hard drive, no HDMI etc. As I say, I really don't want to build one myself or start installing OS, hard drives etc so am after a system I can just plug in and play. I have iPad for general web browsing so the HTPC is really just there for storage I guess. Am I missing something obvious that meets my needs better than a HTPC? Would stress my trusty Dell is creaking now so I am after replacing rather than upgrading and increasing hard drive.

Thanks

graham.myers

Its unlikely the dell's GPU will have the grunt to play back bluray rips. Also if you want to rip blurays, 1tb wont last long :). Of course that depends how you rip them, compressing will obviously save space but then you dont have the original quality. A halfway house so to speak is to just extract the main feature and discard everything else, but thats mostly a manual process. A lot of end users who want a close to a bd player as possible want it to be as automated as possible.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I've see this on a popular auction site and It seems to meet all my needs...
That's the sort of spec you want yeah, although...

chipinabox said:
Windows 7 Ultimate Trial version + trial renewer installed. Use the Windows 7 trial forever and free!
That particular advert is clearly a scam or otherwise dodgy listing so I'd avoid that seller and buy from somewhere reputable.

I have iPad for general web browsing so the HTPC is really just there for storage I guess. Am I missing something obvious that meets my needs better than a HTPC?
A NAS might have been an option but it sounds like you wouldn't have any other computers so you wouldn't be able to rip new blu-rays.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Home AV, TV, Tech News & Reviews, Plus The Best of July 2020
Top Bottom