Some help if posible Please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Peanut1982, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Peanut1982

Peanut1982
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,
    New to the forum but i have been lurking in the background for a while.

well here goes
    i have a pioneer vsx 521 powering 2 wharfedale xarus 5000 speakers my problem is i get too much bass through my mids and it sounds crap.
    when i built my room i didnt think about byamping so never run extra cables.
    so what i need to do is stop low range going to my mids and not sure what capacitor i should use.

any help or advice would be appreciated :)

2. Gaspode_TWD

Gaspode_TWD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Could it be a positioning issue? Speakers interact with different rooms in various ways. As a general rule, the closer they are to room boundaries the more bass reinforcement there will be. Can you try moving the speakers away from the wall (say by 12"/300mm initially) to see if that helps.

Also I see from the link above that the remote indicates it has tone controls, so maybe back the bass down a bit?

3. Peanut1982

Peanut1982
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gaspode

thanks for the reply I have tried moving the speakers (doesnt help) there is alot of bass coming through the mids. especially when watching a movie. i removed the mid speaker from the cabinet to find its in its own sealed compartment so its definitely receiving low frequencies.
    if i knock down the bass on the amp i loose bass in my subs which is pointless.
    i have seen on the tinterweb that putting a capacitor inline will cut out the low frequencies
    just wanting to know what size capacitor i should use.
    as i dont want to buy a crossover per speaker.

4. Gaspode_TWD

Gaspode_TWD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Adding components to speaker crossovers is possible but not always predictable. If you know the electrical specification of the driver it is possible to work out a theoretically correct component to add, but in practice this often needs fine tuning. I doubt anyone here will have the knowledge or bravery to say 'this value will work'.
    Probably a silly question but ... I assume, as you mention no bi-amp option, you still have the links connecting the two lots of terminals in place on the speakers?

5. Peanut1982

Peanut1982
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeahh the links are still in place.

6. Gaspode_TWD

Gaspode_TWD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    OK, thought it was a silly question, but I know I've been caught out 'cos I didn't check the obvious.

And you've used the systems set up mic? Have you tried moving the cross over frequency to the sub lower? I assume a change of speaker cable is out of the question for the same reason as the bi-amp option?