• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Some help for a clueless old guy please? XBox 360 and Scart...

nidgemo

Novice Member
Hello everyone

Hopefully someone can help or advise with this...

I have bought an XBox 360 for my kids for christmas (not the latest model I know, but they're only 6 and want to play minecraft and the like!).

I also happened to have a (very) old 42" Plasma in their playroom, which is one of the reasons I went with a 360 - as i knew it had scart output, and this TV doesn't have HDMI.

So, I got the Xbox today, tried it in the scart input in a newer TV downstairs, and all worked fine. Then, when I took it to the playroom to check, there was just no picture at all on the 42" Plasma - tried both scart inputs, cycled through all source options on the TV etc, all to no avail.

As I say, the TV is old (about 12 years old) and is a Hitachi 42PMA225EZ Plasma Display - I've attached the specs of the TV

It's likely (I hope) I just need a different kind of lead, or to connect it through composite (which I note in the specs does PAL60 - which, when I tested minecraft on the newer TV, the Xbox told me it needed to be set to to play the game) - but I'm fairly clueless and out of touch with this stuff (I was a big gamer in my youth and knew all this stuff inside out, but don't have a clue any more!)

Hopefully someone can help!

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-11-24 at 11.51.15 p.m..png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-24 at 11.51.15 p.m..png
    123 KB · Views: 50
  • Screen Shot 2015-11-24 at 11.49.48 p.m..png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-24 at 11.49.48 p.m..png
    156.3 KB · Views: 52

Courtjezter

Distinguished Member
What I would do is not bother with scart at all. I am unsure what is causing your issue, but I would get the 360 vga adapter, then a vga to dvi converter. Then plug it into the dvi port of the tv. That way you will get the best picture quality. As I know that the picture didn't look great through a scart connection, and text could be difficult to read.

nidgemo

Novice Member
Would that one I linked in my last post not do the job (have already ordered it) - and would it be that it wouldn;t do it at all, or would just be marginally poorer quality?

Thanks for all the help!

yoshe

if you have them coloured circles think white, red , yellow plug into them. should work a treat. sure thats what i did before hdmi.

Waynej

Distinguished Member
Component (red, green, blue) or VGA should do the job nicely if your TV has those inputs.

Composite (yellow) I believe will give the worst image, RGB Scart would be an improvement, but not sure either would be worth tolerating today.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom