Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Some help dubbing on an e95

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by spikey1, Jun 14, 2005.

1. spikey1

spikey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Sorry if this has been covered before but I couldn't find anything (quickly).

I'm trying editing from the HD to DVD-R for th first time.

I've recorded to the HD in XP mode and after cutting out the bits I don't need the total running time is 1hr 46.

I assumed I could now either convert the bit rate or record mode or use flexible record to copy to the DVD-R but can't find a way to do it.

Is it the case that using XP as the original recording mode I'm never going to get more than 1 hour on disk as you can't change the quality once recorded?

If so does anybody else not find this anoying as I have the original recording on sky+ but with adverts its some 2hrs 20 long. I don't want to use flexible record with the adverts in as the space I can remove will mean a better bit rate and therefore quality once done?

I also don't want to sit through it and manually remove the adverts.

I probably wrongly thought that recording in highest quality and then converting down would give me the best outcome or does it mean I just need to do it all again in SP mode?

Am I missing something or misunderstanding how to get the best quality on to the DVD-R?

Sorry for the long post but any help much appreciated.

2. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    When you dub your edited XP material from HDD to DVD-R can't you select either FR or SP from the list? That way the recorder re-encodes your recording so that it will fit on the disc. :confused: Works for me on my E500. I'm not sure how the menus are different on the E95.

S.

3. eternaldark

eternaldark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    You can change the mode in the dubbing menu to FR which will dub the movie with all your edits done, and using FR means it will use the best bit rate to fit the movie to a disk, and to be honest you really wont notice a drop in quality :thumbsup:

4. spikey1

spikey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for the replies.

It was just me being thick but the c*ap instructions don't help.

You need to select the dubbing mode and go into its sub menu to get the record mode.

I missed this because it was set to "video - high speed", which is what I wanted and I didn't notice that the record mode was within this menu.

Anyway now I know, thanks for the confirmation it could be done.

5. spikey1

spikey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    And after my last post it just struck me why (I think), you can only change record mode when NOT in high speed?!

6. Tocsin

Tocsin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spikey1,

To change the recording rate the data has to be re-encoded - in effect "playing" the XP recording and "recording" the SP/FR/whatever.

High-speed is just a straightforward copy of the existing data.

HTH.

7. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Here's how I do it on long recordings....

Use Time Slip to forward every 15 mins to get near the add breaks and add a marker.
    It doesn't need to be bang on and can be added when the ad breaks start.

Repeat the above adding markers on or near each add break.

Go into 'Partial Erase' and use the 'skip' feature to navigate to the markers and remove the ad breaks.

Still some manual intervention which i'm afraid you can't avoid, but it's worth it.

It would be a LOT easier if you could Time Slip when in Partial Erase mode, which i can't on the Pan E100 and am sure is thae same on the E95.

8. spikey1

spikey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for the replies again.

I'll try out the time slip suggestion.

Its quite cool that I've got a lot to learn again so am enjoying the exploration.

As a matter of interest does anybody actuall use -ram as I'm struggling to find much of a reason to do so as all 3 of my other players take all formats apart from -ram and with the 70 hour HD and sky+ I can't see I ever will. The -r widescreen flag "problem" doesn't bother me as I can still just about muster the energy to press the button on the remote!

9. eternaldark

eternaldark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Just done a partial erase and pressed timeslip and yes it does let you skip using timeslip!!! quite handy if your doing a long erase :clap:

10. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    I use RAM quite often when I want to author the final DVD-R on the PC.
    It has become invaluable as a 'capture device' when transferring my old camcorder VHS tapes to DVD.

The 'widescreen flag problem' will become an issue if you (or somebody else) want to play the DVD-R on a 4:3 TV, where it will be vertically squashed and distorted.

11. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Doesn't allow me to do that on my E100 so I have to go through the recording twice :(

Another tip is to use the 'manual skip' feature just as the ad starts as this will automatically forward 30 secs (about the length of an ad).
    I usually quickly press it about 5 or 6 times in succession and you'll be surprised at the number of times that it reaches the end of the ad break bang on.

12. spikey1

spikey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Both the TVs I watch DVDs on are WS (and always will be) so flag issue still not a problem.

If others want to borrow anything then its their problem if they don't have WS, is that really selfish?

On a slightly different note but here seems as good a place to ask as any, does anybody also have experience of the Pioneer 575a player.

The reason I ask is I'm interested which of these 2 units (the panny e95 & pio 575) do you think has the best playback quality.

I'm pleased with both but was surprised that the panny seems to be at least as good as the pio, if not slightly better.

That being said the e95 is connected to my TV via RGB and the 575 by SVHS but I'm not sure its just the feed.

If it is it may be worth me re-routing the 575 through my (manual) scart splitter so its also via RGB.

Any thoughts? Cheers.

13. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    I have 575 and connect via component (interlaced) and gives a better picture than my Pan E100 or previous Pio 717 (both on RGB scart).

Never used the 575 on rgb scart so can't really comment.
    I think it's worth having both on RGB scart through a scart switch

It's a pity you don't have prog scan, then you WOULD be spoilt for choice.

14. spikey1

spikey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Yeah component would be nice but I'm just waiting for my 6 year old toshiba 32 in 100 hz WS CRT to go bang.

The PQ is still really good even compared to friends much more recent CRTs including pixel plus and drmc.

My big quandry is if I go bigger than 32 (and plasma or LCD which is the obvious choice) I'm looking at hanging above the fireplace as the lounge isn't all that big and imo this will be too high as I'm only about 4 metres away, if that.

If I go for a LCD or plasma 32 in, then positioning the centre speaker is a problem as the rest of my Av gear is right next to the TV and the centres on top and again the space is mm tight.

I don't think a 32 progressive scan CRT is worth the upgrade as all things TV are changing with HD and all.

Where have I read these problems before?!

Anyway not the place for this discussion but I might try using RGB for the pio.