some heads up for this HTPC set up please

ersaeys

Standard Member
Hi everybody!

I ask the HTPC experts on the board some advice about a set up I had in mind. :)

I just need some heads up and advice about parts that are bad, parts that could be improved, parts that are obsolete and parts I have forgotten that are essential.
I've done research about many parts etc and this is what I came up with:

mobo: Asus Rampage II GENE (1366) This is a mATX board, but the ATX version is much more expensive.
Alternative would be the Asus P6T Deluxe V2 ATX or ASUS P6T.
The important thing for me is that it can be overclocked easily (I have never done overclocking etc...)
But it seems with seperate software that it is not such a difficult thing to do nowadays?
You can just use software without tampering in the BIOS it seems...
I originally even wanted to use a 1156 asus mobo wich had the ROG connect, very easy!
And the P6T have turbo v overclocking and the Deluxe has real time overclocking capabilities.
But what are the opinions about all these easy OC software?...
To be honest I didn't even look at other brands of mobo's, so maybe you can help me out with alternatives here?
But budget on this is not more than 230-250 euro (200-220 pounds)
GPU: Ati HD5850, saphire version is cheapest? but I heard the Asus version has good software included, expecially for overclocking?
CPU: i7-920 2.6 GHz (1366)
HD: two Western Digital 1TB SATA II 7200RPM 32MB Caviar Green
Blu Ray: Plextor PX-B320SA
RAM: Kingston 6GB 1600MHz DDR3
Power: OCZ Power Supply ProXstream 1000 Watt (need some advice here, just picked something out above 750 Watt, for maybe future dual GPU)
Case: saving for the expensive Silverstone CW02 after all
CPU Cooling: since I was thinking to overclock it to 3.5 ghz this will be neccessary, but what cpu cooling can be used with this case and gpu and mobo combination?
Most preferably a model in this website: ALTERNATE. Hardware - Software - Entertainment&

And also a question about case cooling itself, you can get optional two 92mm fans for the hard drives on this case next to the standard 120mm fan.
So 3 fans in totall, so I was thinking to get this thing in it as well (if possible), a fan control system :)
ALTERNATE. Hardware - Software - Entertainment
AeroCool Touch-1000:
YouTube - Aerocool Touch 1000

I suppose this will fit the case since you have to have a 5.25 drive bay, and the case has a single 5.25 drive bay?

Well thats it so thank you in advance and kind regards from Belgium,
Erik

0ldfart

CW02 is not an ideal case for overclocking. Its airflow setup will limit your max oc because of limited heat dissipation. Are you planning on running it without a lid?

I wonder about the wisdom also, of oc'ing an HTPC - your fans will have to work harder which will mean it will be noisy. Perhaps a software based OC might be the way to go rather than doing it through bios, so you can switch the additional heat on and off (ie off when you're trying to watch your favourite movie on it)

Fan controller will be handy, but if you up the multiplier you will still need more rpm, regardless, which is why I suggest a switchable option.

Difficult to answer further without knowing what the specifics of what the machine will be used for??

If its a gaming machine definitely dump the green drives and get WD blacks or Samsung F3's (at least for the System drive). The 2tb's are pricey but very quick (multi platter).

All your other gear is high end - why no SSD for system drive?

My pick for a PSU would be the Corsair HX-850 - Modular, 80plus GOLD certified (over 90% efficient) and 7 year warranty. Dump the OCZ - its powerful, but loud.

Last edited:

Daveybryce

I would suggest for the OC's you wish to acheive, and to ensure you do it without cooking your CPU, you should look at an external Watercooling solution similar to Razor's Resorator XT.

I personally would not attempt an overclock of 0.9Ghz on air. Razor has his upto 4.0Ghz on water and he's happy with his temps now (i believe) but has added another radiator in the loop to acheive this.

Mobo - I would go for the Rampage (i've heard and read it's good for OCing)

Agree with Oldfart on PSU choice.

The rest of it seems fine

ersaeys

Standard Member
I was considering only to overclock it to 3.5ghz, no further. :)
Reviews of the i7 920 CPU said you even can use the stock cooler untill 3.8ghz...

So I am not going further than that + I will utilize the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus cooler wich is 159mm in height and will fit perfect in the case
(see this review where they installed a 160mm high cooler http://www.caseumbau.de/index.php?page=test538/test538_2)

And the case has a 120 mm fan + 2 other optional 90mm fan for the hard drives...

So knowing all that, is this still a good case?

ersaeys

Standard Member
gaming & desktop use, nothing more.
but I want to have a beefy set up, that's all :)

and what do you mean with "lol"?

ninja 12

And also a question about case cooling itself, you can get optional two 92mm fans for the hard drives on this case next to the standard 120mm fan.
So 3 fans in totall, so I was thinking to get this thing in it as well (if possible), a fan control system :)
ALTERNATE. Hardware - Software - Entertainment
AeroCool Touch-1000:
YouTube - Aerocool Touch 1000

I suppose this will fit the case since you have to have a 5.25 drive bay, and the case has a single 5.25 drive bay?

That fan controller can not be used with a Silverstone CW02 , the 5.25 drive bay only has a small opening on it for a dvd/bluray drive tray .

ersaeys

Standard Member
CW02 is not an ideal case for overclocking. Its airflow setup will limit your max oc because of limited heat dissipation. Are you planning on running it without a lid?

I wonder about the wisdom also, of oc'ing an HTPC - your fans will have to work harder which will mean it will be noisy. Perhaps a software based OC might be the way to go rather than doing it through bios, so you can switch the additional heat on and off (ie off when you're trying to watch your favourite movie on it)

Fan controller will be handy, but if you up the multiplier you will still need more rpm, regardless, which is why I suggest a switchable option.

Difficult to answer further without knowing what the specifics of what the machine will be used for??

If its a gaming machine definitely dump the green drives and get WD blacks or Samsung F3's (at least for the System drive). The 2tb's are pricey but very quick (multi platter).

All your other gear is high end - why no SSD for system drive?

My pick for a PSU would be the Corsair HX-850 - Modular, 80plus GOLD certified (over 90% efficient) and 7 year warranty. Dump the OCZ - its powerful, but loud.

I would suggest for the OC's you wish to acheive, and to ensure you do it without cooking your CPU, you should look at an external Watercooling solution similar to Razor's Resorator XT.

I personally would not attempt an overclock of 0.9Ghz on air. Razor has his upto 4.0Ghz on water and he's happy with his temps now (i believe) but has added another radiator in the loop to acheive this.

Mobo - I would go for the Rampage (i've heard and read it's good for OCing)

Agree with Oldfart on PSU choice.

The rest of it seems fine

thx a lot dudes! I will look into that PSU!

and about the mobo, the Rampage is like 100 euro's more than the Deluxe V2, so unless it has a much better value, I think to stick with the Deluxe V2 mobo, wich is expensive enough.
I suppose the Deluxe V2 is also a good OC board?

Daveybryce

I was considering only to overclock it to 3.5ghz, no further. :)
Reviews of the i7 920 CPU said you even can use the stock cooler untill 3.8ghz...

I've just been reading a review on xbit site ref OCing the i7 920. Using probably one of the best air coolers on the market - the Noctua -nh-u12p (which I don't believe will fit your case, however, I could be wrong) - it was stable at 3.5 & 3.8 however it was very close to it's temperature limit and that was with no case at all (free airflow) so you can imagine how hot it could get within a case with out proper case cooling.

I'm not having a go, but just trying to make you aware of possible problems that may arise. I'm not saying you won't be able to overclock it, I just don't know by how much.

:smashin:

ersaeys

Standard Member
thx :)

everything below 161mm will fit the case :)
And no worries, 3.5 ghz OC is the max i wish for :) (no benchmarking here)
Only some gaming, and blu rays and desktop activities here!

Hmm, but fan control would be very handy in such a case.
Maybe I can use the only 5.25 slot for the fan control and use an external blu ray drive :rolleyes: but that is kinda a pitty for such a nice looking case huh.

0ldfart

I've just been reading a review on xbit site ref OCing the i7 920. Using probably one of the best air coolers on the market - the Noctua -nh-u12p (which I don't believe will fit your case, however, I could be wrong) - it was stable at 3.5 & 3.8 however it was very close to it's temperature limit and that was with no case at all (free airflow) so you can imagine how hot it could get within a case with out proper case cooling.

I'm not having a go, but just trying to make you aware of possible problems that may arise. I'm not saying you won't be able to overclock it, I just don't know by how much.

:smashin:

the u12p has been superceded by the D14 - which is a beast of a cooler. If OP's correct about the case capacity, it would fit @ 160mm

if not, the the c12p se14 would easily fit, and offers similar performance to the u12p.

Last edited:

ersaeys

Standard Member
Last edited by a moderator:

0ldfart

And it seems you can put 3 times 8mm fans and 2 times 92 mm fans.

Only thing I am worried if it can house a 160mm cpu cooler since the height is 170mm...

134mm max height.

the c12p-se14 will fit

in regard to fans its 2+2 and one for the psu fan.

upside-down psu would be the way to go with your build so it increases airflow inside the case.

the lc10b-m has VFD and iMON + built in IR receiver if you are interested in having a remote control for it.

Last edited:

ersaeys

Standard Member
the u12p has been superceded by the D14 - which is a beast of a cooler. If OP's correct about the case capacity, it would fit @ 160mm

if not, the the c12p se14 would easily fit, and offers similar performance to the u12p.

hmm I wonder if 160mm heigh coolers would fit the LC20 case....

ersaeys

Standard Member
134mm max height.

the c12p-se14 will fit

in regard to fans its 2+2 and one for the psu fan.

upside-down psu would be the way to go with your build so it increases airflow inside the case.

the lc10b-m has VFD and iMON + built in IR receiver if you are interested in having a remote control for it.

okay, thank a lot for the input! appreaciate it ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom