1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some HD5 questions

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by joora, Aug 26, 2005.

1. joora

joora
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have earned some money, so i would like to spend it on one of the hdd players.
    Recently i got very interested in Sony HD5, mainly because battery life and great looks, but i need to clear some issues, so i'm in need of some explanations...

1. Can i use HD5 as a data storage device on multiple computers?
    As in - i plug HD5, XP recognizes it as a generic HDD, and i transfer data files to it(not music files). Without installing any drivers or software.

2. On to music transfer. Since i have read lots about SonicStage i already know that i hate it. I want to use a simple drag 'n' drop system. I have searched around and came up with 2 alternatives - Vaio Music Transfer and MP3 File Manager.
    As i understand they can be installed on the data portion of the player, so i can add music from my other PC's (the second one at home and 2 at work). Is it a direct installation on the data portion of the hdd or i copy the installation exe and then install it on other pc's. If it's the case of direct installation on the data portion of HDD, do the other PC's need to have the HD5 driver installed? Also, do the other pc's have to be 'authorised' to use this method?

3. Can the 2 above mentioned programs work in coexistance with each other and with SonicStage without the need to reinitilaze/reformat(?) the player when usin the different program?

4. Since i hang out and listnen to many wannabie bands, who distribute(dunno if that's a correct term) their music for free, is there a way to transfer the music from HD5 to another PC(maybe using the above alternatives), because lots of friends are asking me to give them the music i listnen to on my current 512mb player - since this kind of music is mainly distributed from person to person.

Sorry for the long thread and bad english :)

2. JB5

JB5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I'm an HD3 user but as far as I'm aware....

1) Yes. Should be recognised as an external HDD no problem.

4) Yes & No! If the files are stored in a separate folder & transferred using "explorer" for example they can then be transferred between different PC's (i.e. Using the HD5 as a removable HDD). If the music files are playable on the HD5, then the files cannot be transferred off the Hd5 as the software puts a DRM wrapper on the file.

Don't use any software other than sonicstage, so can't answer your other questions. (BTW you should give SS a go before totally dismissing it!)

3. malheuresement

malheuresement

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Absolutely agree. I actually like Sonic Stage [getting better and better with each new edition] -- you need to spend a while playing with it to find out what it can do/its limitations, and also how to do various bits and pieces. Short of creating auto-playlists, I think it is great!

mal.

4. joora

joora
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thx on the replies.

So, all i need is confirmation that the data transfer is available from any pc to any pc, that i can put mp3's from any computer using the Ss alternatives(and without authorizing the player) and i'm buying the thing on monday.

also, are there compitable car FM transmittes besides the original sony one?

5. sulk

sulk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I don't see why data transfer wouldnt work from any pc to another, as it just shows up as an external hdd. The only problem when you put mp3s onto the hd5, it converts them to omg files, just so equalizer works on them, and also id guess for copyright issues. I know theres programs that let you decode these files, but I dont know if it would work the HD5, they were designed for use on recordings using son MDs, but they both use ATRAC so id think theyd both work. As for compatible fm transmitters, any transmitter should work that uses batteries for power. As all it needs is a input source ( in this case the HD5), a search on ebay should get you a bunch that used batteries (usually 1 or 2 AAA's). Also if the store youre buying from has an ipod accessory section look in there for an fm transmitter, that uses batteries. Offhand I'm pretty sure belkin puts out one that uses batteries. Good luck, and its a great MP3 player.

-Sulk